Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm in the final stages of planning for my bug out dry run. Approx 45-50 mile hike through Northwest PA from Pittsburgh to our hunting camp. Myself and three others. Route is planned to the T. Backpack is nearly complete with all nessesary items (apart from some items coming in for Father's Day).

My question is about communication with my wife/family when we're gone. All of us will have cell phones. I'm not planning on getting a satellite phone, before you ask... Cell reception may be spotty, at best. I believe we have about three different wireless providers between us. Would a phone call/text update be appropriate every 3 hours? 4 hours? If no reception, and no communication is available, how long is appropriate for family to worry/call for help? How many communication windows is long enough to think we actually may be in real trouble? I would hate for my wife to worry day and night, but I would also hate for her to send a rescue party if we were completely fine.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks guys!

Ben

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why would you check in that often? Is it very dangerous hiking where you will be? If it were me i would try to check in once a day and if I was gone without contact for 24 to 36 hrs then she could call for a search party.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I would agree that a daily check in is probably adequate. You should agree on a time and stick to it, but even that can get messed up. In the past, I have done this type of thing. I set it up so I would call every day at 4pm. If no call one day, it's just a rough spot or no service, but no call after two days it's time to worry and after three days call for help.

Ham radio is about your only choice for good comms, but it's something you'll have to do some research on then decide if you care to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Jeremyv -

Thanks for the reply. It's not so much that it's a dangerous hike, but it is my first hike, or first time doing anything like this. Also, its not exactly all the way on a trail, nor is it fully all public land. Plus, I was just watching Lone Survivor and they had comm windows haha. I know we're not Navy SEALs searching for Taliban through the mountains of Afghanistan, but still... I just thought it would ease her mind at least. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts