Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .40s&w Springfield XD Tactical (5”) model. Not the XDM. So far I have had no problems with it. I normally like to keep some spare parts around prior to something breaking but never paid much attention to the XD. When I tried to research common part failures I didn’t find much info. I read a few accounts of various problems but nothing consistent.

Canyon Creek offers a “spring pack” containing all or most of the replacement springs for the XD for about $20 so that’s on my shopping list.

Any XD owners experience any broken parts (springs, pins, whatever)? I have repeatedly read that Springfield will not sell certain parts and that they require the firearm be sent back for repairs. Either way I’d like to know if there are any common problems.

Also, anyone find any relatively inexpensive modifications that were worth making. Any experience with after market guide rods & springs, strike spring guides, and oversize magazine releases? I’m not looking to drop a $200 barrel into a $500 handgun, but the other parts may be a possibility if others have had positive experiences. Any info would be much appreciated.

·
www.GuerillaTactical.com
1,446 Posts
Arizona Shooting Club just had an XD pistol of some sort blow up on a guy on their range. You might contact them to see if they know anything new about that incident.
Maybe too hot a round? I wonder if he was shooting reloads as Ive never heard of an XD failing do to manufacturer defect. If anyone gets more info please post the report. Thanks!

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
There just aren't any "common problems" with XD's.

Striker retainer pin might break on 5% of them after 10K rounds. Or not. Hard to know since only anecdotal.

Put a couple of those pins in your kit, a buck each from pistolgear.com. Look on xdtalk for a guide of how to easily install one.

That's probably all you'll need, and you probably won't need that.

Don't shoot hotter than spec ammo throught them, like any other gun, although the XD will be more forgiving with that that some other guns (Glock .40's for example), what with the supported chamber and all.

- OS

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ric, "spare parts kit" is probably the term I should have used, thanks. I like to keep some spares around just in case. With a set of 3 striker retainer pins going for $1.25 and spring packs going for $20, I figured it's worth the investment and no major loss even if I never need them. Even if I also add an extra ejector for $10 and a striker for $27, I should have all the spare parts I'll ever need and a little piece of mind for about $70.

Other than those parts, I also noticed aluminum striker spring guides (the site claims the stock plastic guides have been known to break??) for $8 and guide rods going for about $20. I'm not familiar with the liklihood of having to replace these two parts so any additional info would be great.

I already have several spare parts for most of my firearms other than the XD. Whether I upgraded parts and kept the functional originals or bought parts just as spares. I'll probably never need to use any of the spare parts I have since I try to stick with quality firearms, but it's nice to know I have them. I'm also pretty sure that the price of parts will only increase and the availability of parts will only decrease over time. Why not get them now?

·
Registered
1 Posts
XD 9mm subcompact

i accully had my xd subcompact go off in my hand using factory loads from federal. My gun went off in my hand and shot me thru my left hand when i went to pull the slide back with the clip out. It does happpen and springfeild will take there time to contact you back

·
Banned
2,161 Posts
i accully had my xd subcompact go off in my hand using factory loads from federal. My gun went off in my hand and shot me thru my left hand when i went to pull the slide back with the clip out. It does happpen and springfeild will take there time to contact you back
this sounds fishy. where was your left hand and why did it pass in front of the muzzle with a round chambered? do you normally rack the weapon with your finger on the trigger?

please help me understand this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.