Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put together a list of very common food items that DO NOT grow in most of the USA and could become nearly impossible to find if the SHTF and trucks could no longer deliver. Also any that the vast majority of us could not produce. (If it only grows in the places like Florida and California that would NOT be available in most of the US.) This is NOT a food storage list but rather one of food items that you could use for trading. My partial list includes:
1. Sugar - no, I don't have the capacity to produce it from beets and I can't grow sugar cane (which I know how to turn into sugar), I don't have Maples.
2. Salt - only available near oceans, salt dunes or salt caves
3. Pepper Corn (Black Pepper) - tropical vine, very tender
4. Vanilla - tropical vine, very tender
5. Cinnamon - tropical tree bark
6. Rice - not something most people could grow in their yard or farm in most of the USA
7. Olive Oil - semi-tropical tree
8. Canola Oil - I could grow the rapeseed but I wouldn't be able to press it
9. Coffee - I grow some trees indoors now but if plenty of heat was not available they would die
10. Chocolate/Cacao - tropical tree

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
844 Posts
Salt

I'm trying to put together a list of very common food items that DO NOT grow in most of the USA and could become nearly impossible to find if the SHTF and trucks could no longer deliver. Also any that the vast majority of us could not produce. (If it only grows in the places like Florida and California that would NOT be available in most of the US.) This is NOT a food storage list but rather one of food items that you could use for trading. My partial list includes:
1. Sugar - no, I don't have the capacity to produce it from beets and I can't grow sugar cane (which I know how to turn into sugar), I don't have Maples.
2. Salt - only available near oceans, salt dunes or salt caves
3. Pepper Corn (Black Pepper) - tropical vine, very tender
6. Rice - not something most people could grow in their yard or farm in most of the USA
7. Olive Oil - semi-tropical tree
9. Coffee - I grow some trees indoors now but if plenty of heat was not available they would die

Thank you for your help
Salt is the only thing on your list that I could not live without.

When all my salt is gone I'll be interested in getting more.

·
10,548 Posts
Yeah, it's a Bummer eh? The quest for Spices is the reason for everything since that has occured in recent History. I have plenty of Sugar Maples, and my Neighbor up the Road has an Ark and all that nonsense that I don't really care for. He sells his Syrup and makes a killing, but I don't like Maple Syrup, and I don't want lines running all through my Woods.
Maybe if SHTF, I'de trade sugar Sap for Salt and Pepper.:thumb:
I have 23 lbs. of Salt now and buy more every time I go Shopping.(Kosher, Sea, and Iodized)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Salt is the only thing on your list that I could not live without.

When all my salt is gone I'll be interested in getting more.
While I agree that salt is the most essential for man and beast, I doubt most people would like a diet of only grains and salt long term. I want them to TRADE since most people do use them.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,568 Posts
Salt can be produced anywhere there is salt water, and mined in many other places.

Many seed type spices are not grown here. I'm not sure whether that's related to our climate or if it's just done for economical reasons.

Sugar can be produced from several sources, including sugar beets. Those can be grown in a lot of places.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Things that won't grow in my climate that I know I will miss:

pineapple
mangos
papayas
kiwi
coffee
broccoli
asparagus
cranberries

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried making sugar from beets, no luck. Do you know how? If I still lived in Utah, no problem with salt but most of the USA is too far from any salt water if there were no truck deliveries. I have a lot of it stored just in case. I do grow most seed type spices here in Minnesota, but peppercorn is especially tender and takes longer that the warm season here. You should have no problem in Texas even with peppercorn depending on which area.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
I expect it will not be long after a serious disruption for trade to recommence. People like items that are not available locally so someone will move it for a profit. Whether on the back of a mule or by a sailing vessel. Patterns of behavior tend to reassert themselves fairly quickly.

Sure their might be Bandits (raiders) seeking to disrupt trade. They will be dealt with if the merchants begin to lose too much, or the local powers that be lose the trade goods they enjoy.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Things that won't grow in my climate that I know I will miss:

pineapple
mangos
papayas
kiwi
coffee
broccoli
asparagus
cranberries
I'm surprised. I grow cranberries, asparagus, kiwi (the hardy type) and broccoli in Minnesota, I thought they grew just about anywhere. Interesting.

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
I would miss:

Cloves
All Spice
Nutmeg

Can't grow those here, and you mentioned black pepper and chocolate already. But there are many things that we can grow here and tastes will change if these luxuries aren't available anymore. Instead of bananas, we'll eat paw-paw. You can grow tea depending on where you live, but some of the hollies make a good substitute, and they have caffeine as well. You can also grow coffee in a lot of places in the US, but it may not be all that great. We do have a lot of herbs and spices to choose from. I really do think we would get used to seasoning our foods differently.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I am really going to miss black pepper if SHTF ever happens..... But I will still have garlic, onions and cayanne so I will be able to survive I guess...

On the salt, none of us can go without salt.... I would suggest stocking up... I have livestock so I buy 50# salt licks all the time for around $7. You can buy quite a variety of salt blocks as well, you can get them with Selenium and many other trace minerals added, you can also get salt blocks with sulphur content which could have quite a benefit.

I am stocking up about 20 blocks a year around 1/2 ton for a cost of $125 dollars last year, may be a bit more this year.

With the great importance of salt and the other trace minerals I would suggest stocking up on some of these.

Twenty pound bags of rock salt are not terribly expensive either and would be more usefull for preserving meat.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I'm surprised. I grow cranberries, asparagus, kiwi (the hardy type) and broccoli in Minnesota, I thought they grew just about anywhere. Interesting.
You grow kiwi in Minnesota? Do you know the name?

I live in Texas and the summers are too hot for alot of things that grow up north and the area that I am in will get below freezing just enough to kill anything that grows in the tropics most years.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Consider substitutes:

2. Salt - only available near oceans, salt dunes or salt caves Some foods (e.g. chicken) are naturally salty
3. Pepper Corn (Black Pepper) - tropical vine, very tender I think red pepper can be grown in most of the US.
6. Rice - not something most people could grow in their yard or farm in most of the USA Potatoes are pretty easy to grow
7. Olive Oil - semi-tropical tree Corn oil is widely produced
9. Coffee - I grow some trees indoors now but if plenty of heat was not available they would die I don't remember at the moment, but I think there are temperate climate sources of caffeine

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Post SHTF, we may all need to grow more herbs to season with. There are herbs to mimic some of the things mentioned.

Did anyone else read yesterday's Survivalblog which had a link to historic cooking? It was great; people dressed in Roman/Mediaeval/Tudor/Victorian clothing, showing how dishes of the time were prepared. I learned a lot from watching how the Tudor lady used the fireplace. She added a lot of different herbs to her vegetable pottage. As she chopped her veggies what got my attention was that she had no corn or potatoes.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
really this will apply regionally. those in hawaii will have access to foods not available in alaska or montana or illinois. Each area has its own abundance or lack.
here in central IL I am stocking up on the tropical foods I love, mandarin oranges, dried banana, coconut, pineapple, mango... and also on fish products since i don't live anywhere close to abundant fishing resources. here we will always have corn and oats and soy, and probably livestock for meat. but i'd sorely miss fish if i could not lay hands on it.
each area will have its own resources. and yep, trading would be most in demand for stuff not available locally. this of course applies to things besides food as well!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts