Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IN MINNEAPOLIS...

You cannot make this stuff up.

From Star Tribune editorial page... it is a paid site so... but Minneapolis does such bizarre crap I keep track of it.

I will give you the highlights and gist..

"The Ramsey County Attorney's Office is taking decisive action to end police traffic stops for low-level traffic violations — a practice that has had a disproportionately negative impact on people of color. No longer will the office take cases when the sole reason for the stop is for issues such as a single busted taillight or expired tabs.

It's a smart, fair move that's been a long time coming.It will reduce the number of Black people and other people of color being disproportionately stopped over minor vehicle equipment violations. Both Philando Castile in 2016 and Daunte Wright earlier this year were pulled over for minor vehicle equipment violations and ended up dead at the hands of police.

Under the new policy, the county attorney's office will no longer prosecute most felony cases in which a driver is pulled over for a minor infraction (such as an equipment violation) so that cops can seek evidence of a more serious crime."

SO.. as a long time officer this is what it does

Someone breaks into a house and is seen leaving in a blue Chevrolet. LOTS of blue chevys out there so which one...
and just based upon description alone you can't just stop every blue chevy, BUT, say one makes your spider sense tingle you pull in behind it and see tail light out, bad plate, etc, any VALID reason to pull so everything you get after that is fair game.
but,
in Minni, nope, crook gets to run free so long as he doesn't speed or drive recklessly
And
A lot of crimes will not be solved and a lot of victims are shuffled in behind the idea you do not want to hurt the feelings of someone breaking the law.

SO
if I read the article right,
IF the cop does stop for an equipment vio, finds the driver is the crook seen coming out of the house with the money and computers and such... HE WILL NOT BE PROSECUTED for violating the VICTIM'S rights and stealing that person's property.

Way to go Prosecutor, way to protect the people from the criminals....

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
6,290 Posts
We keep adding laws and regulations to the books so maybe lightening up on some of them might not be the worst idea. On the plus side think of the people stopped for minor infringements that were subject to asset forfeiture, going to be a lot more people keeping whats theirs.

·
Registered
22,144 Posts
people living in these places, largely have only themselves to blame. vote woke, go up in smoke. whad'ya want from me, a tear?

if you've been against it and your politicians since before this all started, you should leave. now. and like when Lot fled Sodom, don't even look back.

·
Indefatigable
21,475 Posts
Cops in the deep red state of OK have been passing the buck for YEARS.
Non-injury traffic accident? File the report online
Stolen car? File the report online
Home or business burglary? File the report online
Shots fired, no one hit? Go back to bed
I'm OK with them not stopping the car dragging a muffler and missing out on a conviction for that joint they would find in the ashtray as long as they are busy doing online stings to catch pervs.

·
Indefatigable
21,475 Posts
^^^^ Until it effects you personally. Anybody that thinks this is good shouldn't be locking their doors
We had a car stolen so it HAS effected me personally. The dude with the busted muffler and joint didn't do it.

·
M.R. Ducks
19,204 Posts
There are way to many "Driving While Black" stops. I've been driving for more than 40 years. I've been pulled over by officers a grand total of 5 times. I have a good friend who is exactly my age to the month. We worked in the same business, drive similar pickup trucks and live in the same town. He's stopped two or three times a year now.. and it used to be more.

An officer's "spider sense" is not probable cause and never should be.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
7,078 Posts
IN MINNEAPOLIS...

You cannot make this stuff up.

From Star Tribune editorial page... it is a paid site so... but Minneapolis does such bizarre crap I keep track of it.

I will give you the highlights and gist..

"The Ramsey County Attorney's Office is taking decisive action to end police traffic stops for low-level traffic violations — a practice that has had a disproportionately negative impact on people of color. No longer will the office take cases when the sole reason for the stop is for issues such as a single busted taillight or expired tabs.

It's a smart, fair move that's been a long time coming.It will reduce the number of Black people and other people of color being disproportionately stopped over minor vehicle equipment violations. Both Philando Castile in 2016 and Daunte Wright earlier this year were pulled over for minor vehicle equipment violations and ended up dead at the hands of police.

Under the new policy, the county attorney's office will no longer prosecute most felony cases in which a driver is pulled over for a minor infraction (such as an equipment violation) so that cops can seek evidence of a more serious crime."

SO.. as a long time officer this is what it does

Someone breaks into a house and is seen leaving in a blue Chevrolet. LOTS of blue chevys out there so which one...
and just based upon description alone you can't just stop every blue chevy, BUT, say one makes your spider sense tingle you pull in behind it and see tail light out, bad plate, etc, any VALID reason to pull so everything you get after that is fair game.
but,
in Minni, nope, crook gets to run free so long as he doesn't speed or drive recklessly
And
A lot of crimes will not be solved and a lot of victims are shuffled in behind the idea you do not want to hurt the feelings of someone breaking the law.

SO
if I read the article right,
IF the cop does stop for an equipment vio, finds the driver is the crook seen coming out of the house with the money and computers and such... HE WILL NOT BE PROSECUTED for violating the VICTIM'S rights and stealing that person's property.

Way to go Prosecutor, way to protect the people from the criminals....
As you state, there are a lot of blue Chevy s out there. Are you proposing that the cops stop EVERY blue Chevy on a pretense to catch the crook? Or are they just fishing? Let's be honest, mostly they are fishing in a barrel.

As far as chasing vehicles, it is an increasing danger to the public to be persuing vehicles at high speeds. It makes more sense to grab the tag number and send a car to the perps home. It is incredibly fast to get the tag and owner info on the computer.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An officer's "spider sense" is not probable cause and never should be.
YOU KNOW you would think that...
BUT
I know courts that have said that based upon the officers observations and years of experience there are undefinable clues that may not be apparent or readily articulated but subconsciously they are there. "IT just seemed wrong." has worked for years where I worked. but... you needed to have a proven track record of reliability and veracity and experience for it to float. Hunches have solved a lot of crimes.
I got in behind a guy driving a car The car had not made any hot sheets . Anyway, the driver was acting goofy as I was behind him and he was too nervous never taking his eyes off the mirrors, not paying that much attention to what was in front of him, nothing that was a violation of sorts, just seemed weird.
I pulled it over and while the guy was fishy, he had the keys in the ignition and said he had borrowed the car and he even had the name of the owner, but the registration was on the seat beside him. BUT it just seemed wrong. Can't explain it. Anyway, I said if he knew what was in the trunk I would let him go. The guy said just the usual. Spare tire, jack etc.
I said, If you are right you are on your way. He said fine, even handed me the keys and said to help myself.
I opened the trunk, took a look and told the driver to join me.
He came back, saw what was in the trunk and went absolutely ape crap, fore, you see, the owner of the vehicle was in the trunk sporting several bullet holes. Looked like he had been there a couple of days. At which time while screaming he didn't know, he admitted to just finding and stealing the car. He found it at one of the local bars with the keys on the seat and he was just out joyriding it. ... so he said.

The wife of the DG had not reported him missing yet but she said he left to meet "friends" a few days before and it was not unusual for him to be gone a few days. It was hinted that a drug dispute might have been involved.
The dets traced the drivers alibi back to where he was drinking in a bar about the time of death about 40 miles away. and he passed a poly as to knowledge about the murder.

Good cops have to follow their noses.

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As you state, there are a lot of blue Chevy s out there. Are you proposing that the cops stop EVERY blue Chevy on a pretense to catch the crook? Or are they just fishing? Let's be honest, mostly they are fishing in a barrel.

As far as chasing vehicles, it is an increasing danger to the public to be persuing vehicles at high speeds. It makes more sense to grab the tag number and send a car to the perps home. It is incredibly fast to get the tag and owner info on the computer.

NO... EXACTLY the opposite.
There are a lot of blue chevys out there, but something sets you off as "I should check out THAT blue Chevy" because of whatever extra vibe it gives off to an experienced PO, and there IS a valid reason for stop, why not let the officer do what the tax payers are paying him for?

as chicken hmmm as it sounds, bad plates as in expired, on wrong vehicle, broken tail lights, etc... ARE a violation of the law...

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
PC for a stop is PC for a stop. Doesn’t matter if it’s for a body part hanging out of the trunk or a brake light that’s out. Whatever is legally discovered after the stop is legitimate evidence. If criminals don’t want to risk getting caught they should better maintain their cars.

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
I guess these idiots live in Secure Neighborhoods that they don't crime will effect them.

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
11,373 Posts

So, someone steals your tag and puts it on a blue chevy and then robs a bank. I snap a photo with your stolen plate on it. Do you seriously want the cops doing a raid at 4 in the morning, thinking you are the robber?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well, this nation is going down the toilet it seems.

I can't see how it "disproportionately affects blacks" when EVERYONE is supposed to follow the law, no matter the skin color. If this isn't racist rhetoric, I don't know what is.
hah yeah that was my thought too, if black are more slack with driving a proper safe vehicle then of course they get stopped more... if they more often pull a gun on the officer that stops them, then they are more prone to get shot too... that has nothing to do with a racist cop gunning down some innocent black person (that is simply not acceptable and racism isn't either) but for some reason black people (not all but some) are more criminal than say asian people, so obviously they would get arrested more.

racist cops should be kicked out on their arse faster than they can say sorry

1 - 20 of 71 Posts