Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was a bit curious when it comes to the life of chocolate bars and junk food.

Here was my plan; Take a five gallon bucket and fill it with Hershey’s bars, Mounds, Snickers, Truffles, hard candies like lemon drops and mints. All put into a Mylar bag and a liberal dose of O2 absorbers. What kind of shelf life am I looking at for the contents, buried and in a stable no light environment? Heck even stale would be better than bad, I would like to know the rotating time if anyone has a ball park figure.

FYI I have to give Jerry D credit for this idea, it was in one of his stories, and man it would be nice to have a sweet snack after watching the world die.
Let’s face it people, a snickers bar would make a crappy day that much better after TSHTF.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The real trick to storing chocolate is temperature control. When it warms, it sweats cocoa butter which then hardens causing the chalky marbled coating combined with weird chocolate. As a rule it has a 1 year shelf life, it's not a good idea to freeze it, it's incredibly sensitive to odors and picks them up very easily. Bury it in an airtight container, in a shaded spot. It would make a very good bartering item a few years down the line if you can get it to keep.

You might want to experiment with letting it get all chalky, melting it down, and then letting it cool again and see how that works

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
there is a retailer here on this site has n10 sized cans of all ready prepacked sweets items in the sealed bags ..

JC Refuge website has them on it look up the website,

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I got several kinds of candies that we like on sale after Halloween and Christmas and packaged them in small amounts [vacuum sealer] with a little assortment. That way we can pick and choose and hopefully not pig out.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
No disrespect to the original poster, but I would much rather spend my hard earned frn's on the necessities that will be needed post SHTF.

Like for instance, if you just have to have the "sweet stuff" why not learn Bee Keeping, I would think that honey would be a hot comodity after the SHTF. And what about some fruit trees?

Both of these ways, if maintained properly, will give you production and barterable goods for years.

III

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L. -

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No disrespect to the original poster, but I would much rather spend my hard earned frn's on the necessities that will be needed post SHTF.

Like for instance, if you just have to have the "sweet stuff" why not learn Bee Keeping, I would think that honey would be a hot comodity after the SHTF. And what about some fruit trees?

Both of these ways, if maintained properly, will give you production and baterable goodsfor years.

III

"Obama, the skid-mark in the underwear of American history."
- J.R.L. -
Already have most if not all my long term preps in order, including obscure things like a still and even bolts of cloth. I have several five gallon buckets of honey that will never go bad, sugar, coco, and any number of things. So I think I deserve a damn Snickers bar when the world ends, or ill be damned if I see some little kids and not give them some Hershey’s. :D:

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
Already have most if not all my long term preps in order, including obscure things like a still and even bolts of cloth. I have several five gallon buckets of honey that will never go bad, sugar, coco, and any number of things. So I think I deserve a damn Snickers bar when the world ends, or ill be damned if I see some little kids and not give them some Hershey’s. :D:
I fully understand the need for sweets,we have a great stash of MRE brownies and cakes. Last year I bought a 55 gallon drum of mixed MRE candy that was out of spec for some reason. The manufacturer told me they should be good for 8 to 10 years if stored in a cool place. Our root cellar will work great. I need my junk food!

We have many years of food stashed,we have our own bee hives and fruit trees and a unlimited suppy of wild blackberries.

Now if they just had long term packed MRE Pringles!:thumb:

Red

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Mixed candy bars like Snickers is probably going to have a reduced storage life. It will only last as long as the shortest lasting ingredient. Plus if you keep them in their original wrapper, the O2 absorber is going to have no effect on it. Whatever the atmosphere is inside the wrapper is what the candy will be exposed to.

Might be wiser to store pure chocolate. It lasts longer. Then if you want a treat, you can always make your own candy bars. I doubt peanuts would store long term, but you could always grow your own, or use peanut butter powder. I love that stuff.

Hard candies store well if you keep them dry and cool. An O2 absorber would probably help preserve the essential oils that make them tasty. They're also very easy to make, and the essential oils store quite well if you keep them cool and away from light.

As for junk food, it depends on what kind. Oily foods like chips aren't going to last much past their regular shelf lives. But luckily most of them aren't that hard to make, either. Nothing tastes as good as fresh homemade potato chips or snack crackers. Lots of recipes for snack crackers online.

Other than simple treats like hard candies, I think the best way to have them long term is to store the ingredients needed to make your own. At times like that, something as simple as a fresh, hot, homemade apple pie, made from either home grown or dehydrated apples, is sure going to taste good.

·
Fled is that music...
141 Posts
I was just looking at these the other day. Too bad about it only being available Dec-Apr though. Guess we'll just have to wait...

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
They used to put these round toffee chocolate discs in our Cs (MCI type) and later in MREs. We called them "John Wayne" bars and later, after he died, "Dead Duke Discs." They lasted forever, would not melt easily and they were gooooood.

Chocolate is an absolute must in your comfort preps.

You want chocolate with with low butterfat in your survival preps. The old Hershey's Ration D chocolate was the basis for all low butterfat chocolates in future Cs and MREs but where you might find it these days is beyond me. That mredepot.com link looks promising.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?3537-Food-of-different-armies

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
They used to put these round toffee chocolate discs in our Cs (MCI type) and later in MREs. We called them "John Wayne" bars and later, after he died, "Dead Duke Discs." They lasted forever, would not melt easily and they were gooooood.
I remember those. I used to go dirt biking in the military range and every time I'd find a pile of cans, I'd check to see if any of the accessory cans were unopened and if any had those. They had been in the hot desert for years but they were still really good. It's amazing the things you find tossed in the bushes in military ranges.

Oddly enough, I liked the C rats WAY more than today's MREs. But then again, I was a kid at the time and my tastes are different now.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts

Chocolate is an absolute must in your comfort preps.

You want chocolate with with low butterfat in your survival preps. The old Hershey's Ration D chocolate was the basis for all low butterfat chocolates in future Cs and MREs but where you might find it these days is beyond me. That mredepot.com link looks promising.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?3537-Food-of-different-armies
You are so right about those toffee chocolate discs in the foil wrap!:thumb: I haven't thought of them in decades. Great chocolate fix!! You could also stack a lot of them in a small space. I used to trade those little packs of smokes for three chocolate discs. What a deal! I think they also had a coconut bar but they were never real great for me. Tasted soapy waxy to me.

I do remember those horrible egg C's and those nasty ham & lima beans!

I also used to like the lemon flavored cornflake bars in the green bag LRRP rations. I don't think any other rations had those corn flake bars in them.

Red

1 - 20 of 35 Posts