Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
storm clouds on the horiz
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone out there has taken classes to actually fight with a combat knife?
I have heard over and over that knife fighting and sword fighting are very similar, and sword lessons will translate to a certain extent to knife fighting.
To that end I have been taking classical fencing lessons as well as Aikido Iado lessons.
Anyone have any thoughts? :)

·
Banned
469 Posts
I received very limited knife fighting training but lots of gun training. Rule one is: Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. Guns, all types and variety and plenty of them beats the best knife training in the world.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Just wondering if anyone out there has taken classes to actually fight with a combat knife?
I have heard over and over that knife fighting and sword fighting are very similar, and sword lessons will translate to a certain extent to knife fighting.
To that end I have been taking classical fencing lessons as well as Aikido Iado lessons.
Anyone have any thoughts? :)
I have taken Escrima for a few years. Only touched the basics/intermediates during that time. I can not compare it to fencing since I have never fenced. Would love to though. But it is heads and tails different from Chinese sword forms.

·
www.edc-canada.com
8 Posts
I received very limited knife fighting training but lots of gun training. Rule one is: Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. Guns, all types and variety and plenty of them beats the best knife training in the world.
This is true to a degree, however, test prove that inside 20 feet the knife wins vs. a undrawn firearm.

Good luck with your training.

·
storm clouds on the horiz
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cartainly do appreciate rule #1 (I authored that rule! LOL), but reality is; you may not always have a gun on you, but you can almost always have a knife on you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Heres a lil tip ill give ya.

One night I was out with my misses and we were walking home from the movies and I had my jumper wrapped around my arm because it was starting to get a lil warm. As we were walking we almost got killed from a man with a knife, and the jumper blocked the knife, he tried to cut me but my arm with the jumper stoped it, maybe the knife was blunt or something? but it worked. Thankfully we didnt get hurt :thumb: maybe try it out?

·
Banned
7,017 Posts
Heres a lil tip ill give ya.

One night I was out with my misses and we were walking home from the movies and I had my jumper wrapped around my arm because it was starting to get a lil warm. As we were walking we almost got killed from a man with a knife, and the jumper blocked the knife, he tried to cut me but my arm with the jumper stoped it, maybe the knife was blunt or something? but it worked. Thankfully we didnt get hurt :thumb: maybe try it out?
A friend of mine spent 12 years in prison (don't ask) but he told me that taking off your shirt and wrapping one of your arms was the way that knife attacks were defended against in the pen. So it looks like you accidentaly did the right thing, thank goodness!:thumb:

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
21 feet or less, the knife fighter will gut the gun fighter before he can get the gun out of it's holster and aimed.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
Well...

I think that if I ever find myself in a knife fight, I've screwed up somewhere pretty good...
Being able to defend against a quick attack so I have time to draw my pistol is about as much as I ever hope to need. YMMV.

Reactions: 2rugers

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I Feel weird without a knife.

I've have had no training, but when we were younger we would have a "marker fight" we would superglue a piece of chalk to a permanent black marker. And we would have mock knife fights you lost if you got hit in the neck, underarm , wrists, or thigh.

Winner drew a cartoon mustache on the losers face.

Not sure if my "expertise" carries over but if you visulize what move your going to do and the second your done with your vizulization you attack you'll be far faster and you'll be in "the moment".

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
This is true to a degree, however, test prove that inside 20 feet the knife wins vs. a undrawn firearm.

Good luck with your training.
Huh???? A knife will win against a un-drawn gun at any distance, Who conducted this test.... did they walk up to people with Concealed weapons and stab them???

In a situation when i am free to do so and feel threatened or in the event of SHTF... I will have my weapon out ANY TIME a stranger starts to get near me and I will be ready...

as many have said... do not bring a knife or a sword to a gun fight

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Huh???? A knife will win against a un-drawn gun at any distance, Who conducted this test.... did they walk up to people with Concealed weapons and stab them???
This is taught in Law Enforcement training. I think it was originally a military study back in the Fairbairn-Sykes days.

I have taken part in demos during Silat classes. If the distance is 21 feet or less, the knife fighter wins conclusively. This is even if he knows it's coming, like in a premeditated reaction test.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been trained in knife and stick fighting since I was a young boy in the early 80's. Filipino knife, stick, and bolo fighting was forced upon me as a kid. It was part of my family tradition and culture. Carried a knife as a kid and still carry one on my hip wherever I go.

At least for me the system I was taught, for the most part of knife, stick and bolo fighting is that the strikes and slashes are the same but their are differences in blocking and parrying with a stick compared to a bladed weapon.

Like someone mentioned earlier in a knife fight your always going to get cut. Its just the the most skilled and fastest will walk away. Knife fights well end in the first 30 seconds. No matter how skilled I may be I would run away from a knife fight unless I had no choice.

I can't carry my Glock with me due to state laws but I can carry a knife legally with me anywhere I go. Its the next best thing if you can't carry a gun. If your gonna carry a knife for self defense at least know how to use it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Google Dennis Tueller. He was a police trainer that was asked at what distance was a knife wielder a threat to an officer. After some testing, they determined that an officer with a gun in a duty holster averaged a 1.5 second draw time. An average adult male can cover 21' in 1.5 seconds.

Having played with this at the sheriffs dept and at my dojo, 21' is about right for the guys with open carry holsters with minimal retention who train a LOT. People with higher retention holsters and/or concealed carry increase their threat distance a LOT.

Easy test. Get a friend with a pointed stick or a lawn dart or anything they can jab into the ground. You stand with your gun holstered in your normal carry mode and clothing, facing a target with a good backstop behind it. Your partner stands on your non gun side facing away from you, holding the stick. A third person calls out "GO" (or use a shot timer), at the command, your partner with the stick runs as fast as he can away from you, while you draw and put a round in the target. When your partner hears the shot, he spikes the stick into the ground. Check the distance. If you assume that you have a magical death ray gun that stops them instantly upon firing, then that's the minimum distance a knife wielder can be away before they reach you to shoot. To make it a bit more realistic, have your stick wielding partner decide when to start by having him simply start running when he's ready and you draw when you see him move. Most people get a truly eye opening experience out of it. If you try out outdraw a knife, you get killed.

I've done some knife work in my martial arts training. Padded up and sparred, used blunted training drones in our street sparring modes (padding still worn, but in regular clothes and shoes, with hidden weapons accessible). Dealing with a knife threat sucks, plain and simple.

The idea of fighting with a knife against another knife wielder is fantasy in this day and age. Knives are used when the other person doesn't know the have it, either while they're threatening with a gun, or trying to bash their face in.

I recommend getting the Dog Brothers/Gabe Suarez DVD series "Die Less Often, interface of gun, knife and empty hands" lots of good drills and defenses that actually work, and let you get your gun out.

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts

In a situation when i am free to do so and feel threatened or in the event of SHTF... I will have my weapon out ANY TIME a stranger starts to get near me and I will be ready...

as many have said... do not bring a knife or a sword to a gun fight
Just google 21 foot rule or search youtube. You will see the truth. :)

21,494 Posts
1 - 20 of 212 Posts