Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
My gunsmith changed it for a Kings solid bushing, I think it was better it more support for the barrel. the colt factory changed it back with the seriers 80 didn't they?
XR750
Courage is being afraid and saddling up anyway

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My gunsmith changed it for a Kings solid bushing, I think it was better it more support for the barrel. the colt factory changed it back with the seriers 80 didn't they?
XR750
Courage is being afraid and saddling up anyway
ywah colt swapped back to the solid bushing because mass producing the collet bushing was to hard to keep to tolerance, i have heard the collet bushing was sometimes prone to break but it also increased accuracy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine has never given me any problem. I have heard of them breaking and guys seeing their recoil spring flying down range, but so far I haven't had the experience. I would also say, that is one darned accurate pistol.
Bob

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
the orignal collect brushing on them would break into pieces at time over beening pushed againest the barrel ..that way colt went back to the solid bushing set up for the series 80s pistol..

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
The collet bushing is quite accurate and my Gold Cups still sports it's bushing after 30 years of use.

The problems of years ago stemmed from improperly fit bushing fingers, most likely tweaked by the owners after they played with them.

I've replaced a number for other people who believed the gunshop BS but I've never seen a broken one in 30 years of 1911 use and work.

Throw a spare standard bushing in the kit if you're that worried but I'd leave it alone until then.

As an aside, I've owned upwards of a dozen 70's series with the bushing and have never had an issue.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The collet bushing is quite accurate and my Gold Cups still sports it's bushing after 30 years of use.

The problems of years ago stemmed from improperly fit bushing fingers, most likely tweaked by the owners after they played with them.

I've replaced a number for other people who believed the gunshop BS but I've never seen a broken one in 30 years of 1911 use and work.

Throw a spare standard bushing in the kit if you're that worried but I'd leave it alone until then.

As an aside, I've owned upwards of a dozen 70's series with the bushing and have never had an issue.
i havent ever looked at a collet bushing in person, i hear the issue wasnt so much with the bushing breaking but more mass producing them to the right spec, apparently some while being produced fell out of spec and fit the barrel loosely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.