Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what loads y’all recommend for the .45 Colt Taylor’s & Co. single action I’m eyeing. Before anyone says “Get an XXX”, please... don’t. I know the 1873 pattern SAA like the back of my hand, am familiar, confident, and capable with it.

Specifically for-
Field/out-of-doors usage
Defensive use against two legged threats

I’m thinking some form of heavy, hard cast, gas checked flat nose/solid for four legged threats, something like Buffalo Bore’s 3E/20, and am unsure of the suitability of either BB’s 3I/20 (full wadcutter) or 3F/20 (JHP) for two legged defense.

Please advise.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
From the horse's mouth...

Standard Pressure Heavy .45 Colt
200gr. Jacketed Hollow Point @ 1,100 fps M.E. 537 ft lbs
20 Round Box
ITEM 3F

All of today's standard 45 colt loads are very anemic. Often featuring a 250 gr. Bullet at around 700 fps.
We knew that we could develop a couple standard pressure 45 colt loads that would feature a 255gr. Gas checked soft cast bullet at around 1,000 fps or a 200gr. Jacketed Hollow Point at around 1,100fps. We wanted loads that were substantially more powerful than today's weenie loads, but that could be fired in ANY 45 colt firearm.

Both of these 45 colt loads are designed to be a heavy loading, yet be within standard (SAAMI) pressure. As such, both of these 45 colt loads are safe and recommended to be used IN ANY post-war 45 colt that is in normal working condition. ANY post-war means ANY post-war, so please take my word for it without phoning or emailing me "just to make sure". I love hearing from and appreciate customers, I really do, but there is no sense using up your or my time answering questions that have already been answered.

These loads are indeed heavy 45 colt loadings. You can fire them in any post-war firearm that is in normal working condition chambered for 45 colt without reservation. These loads will turn your Colt SAA or clone into a powerful carry gun. The cast load (item 3E) is gas checked and will not substantially lead your barrel.

Reactions: Jackpine1

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You don't need gaschecks or hard bullets for any .45 Colt load you would use in a Gen3 Colt or one of the modern Italian clones from Uberti or Pietta as sold by Taylor & Co. or Cimarron. In mine I load the Accurate 45-264H wide flat nose, cast in 1 to 30 tin-lead from Roto Metals, with 7.5 grains of Bullseye. Velocity is 900 fps from a 5 and a half inch barrel. I size bullets .454 and shoot the same load in my 1920 Colt New Service. Very adequate packing pistol. The same charge works well with the Speer 250-grain Deep Curl if you want an expanding JHP for 2-legged varmints.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to know which one actually would be better. I’v read em both before; but even with BB’s boosted performance, I’m still unsure if the JHP would put perform the full wadcutter

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I wanted to know which one actually would be better. I’v read em both before; but even with BB’s boosted performance, I’m still unsure if the JHP would put perform the full wadcutter
The Speer Deep Curl expand reliably in water jugs down to 750 fps from my 3-inch Cimarron New Sheriff with 6 grains of Bullseye.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The old black powder Colt load that pushed a 255gr bullet to 900fps did eveything you could want from a 45 Colt and the early guns. IIRC something like 8.5grs of Uniqe will give that load with a 255gr flat nose bullet. There is no real need for more power unless you are hunting Elk with it. Dave Scoville of Handloader magazine said a 45 lead bullet going 900fps would shoot lengthwise through the biggest deer that ever walked. No need for hard bullets or gas checks.

I wouldn't waste money on that over priced BB ammo. Use the money to buy a reloading kit. You will need with that cartridge.

Reactions: ThunderStryke

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The 7.5. Bullseye load does the same thing and the smaller particle size meters uniformly. Larry Gibson pressure tested the load for me and while it slightly exceeds the SAAMI MAP for .45 Colt. at 18,000 psi pressure is similar to .45 ACP hardball and well within safe design limits for the Gen3. Colts, modern Italian clones and the post-1918 New Service revolvers which have better heat treatment.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The 7.5. Bullseye load does the same thing and the smaller particle size meters uniformly. Larry Gibson pressure tested the load for me and while it slightly exceeds the SAAMI MAP for .45 Colt. at 18,000 psi pressure is similar to .45 ACP hardball and well within safe design limits for the Gen3. Colts, modern Italian clones and the post-1918 New Service revolvers which have better heat treatment.
I would rather shoot your loads than the BB loads.

Reactions: Outpost75

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I like just regular 230g RN flat point @ 900 to 1000fs I use them in my 45 auto all so .
I tried shooting gold dot 45 rounds out of 45 colt cases but with the extra speed they break up , so no good for deer hunting .
I shoot ruger black hawk, red hawlks mostly and I can push 44 mag power out of them but
unless you are hunting some bear its not necessary

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The only thing wrong with critical defense ammo is the price.
They shoot to a diffrent point of aim in my guns .
I cast and reload my own .
I don’t really think you need to shoot anything fancy it’s a 45

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It hits like a Mack truck... I know the renown. I’d still prefer something besides the ole “Cowboy Killer” loads

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Here are some reloads , gold dot in moon clips
And a 230g plinking load .
They are both 45 auto bullets .
The lead is crimped over the shoulder
And the hollow point get tapper crimped in the 45 colt
I shoot a lot of 45 auto in the moon clips .
And the rounds run at the same FPS most of the time but the auto prints 3” high at 25 yards
Air gun Trigger Material property Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
The only thing wrong with critical defense ammo is the price.
They shoot to a diffrent point of aim in my guns .
I cast and reload my own .
I don’t really think you need to shoot anything fancy it’s a 45
Well I don't buy discount fire extinguishers or fall protection harnesses, so I don't see much reason to skimp on ammo that may be used to save my life. I'm not concerned with "fancy", I AM concerned with "tearing the biggest, leakiest hole possible per round" though, even in my 45s. If I ever get and carry a 50, same thing.

Shooting to a different point of impact is a problem though, probably one that could be alleviated by shooting comparable FMJ loads instead of cowboy loads. I don't have a problem with Critical Defense shooting to a different point of aim, but I don't shoot it in calibers designed for black powder either, so it's not exactly an apples/apples comparison.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I shoot a Cimarron Frontier Colt 45 5.5" blued no frills SAA, and it's alot of fun. I haven't been able to load black powder yet, and the only powder I have right now is Longshot. I cast my own bullets using pure lead with a little tin thrown in for fillout (like 0.25%). Best shooting bullet thus far is the Lee 255gr RNFP bullet loaded with 8.0 grains of Longshot, sized to 0.452, the bullets are lubed with bees wax and castor oil mix. The gun and bullet/load will shoot as accurate as I can shoot, moves at about 825 fps, and with 255gr of lead I'm sure it provides a lot of stopping power. Real pleasant load to shoot, not snappy, good balance with the shorter barrel. I want to get some Trail Boss and try it but its been out of stock forever.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Well I don't buy discount fire extinguishers or fall protection harnesses, so I don't see much reason to skimp on ammo that may be used to save my life. I'm not concerned with "fancy", I AM concerned with "tearing the biggest, leakiest hole possible per round" though, even in my 45s. If I ever get and carry a 50, same thing.

Shooting to a different point of impact is a problem though, probably one that could be alleviated by shooting comparable FMJ loads instead of cowboy loads. I don't have a problem with Critical Defense shooting to a different point of aim, but I don't shoot it in calibers designed for black powder either, so it's not exactly an apples/apples comparison.
I like to shoot a lot and the CD ammo is a lot of money for plinking .
I like to shoot the same ammo all the time , my plinker rounds will go thru a dear long ways .
lots of power any way

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I like to shoot a lot and the CD ammo is a lot of money for plinking .
I like to shoot the same ammo all the time , my plinker rounds will go thru a dear long ways .
lots of power any way
Well yeah, don't use the expensive stuff for plinking. But going through a deer long ways is only good if you need to... go through a deer long ways. That's a LOT of wasted energy you're flinging downrange of your assailant and you're responsible for whoever or whatever you hit, regardless of whether or not it's your intended target.

I just prefer most of my ammo's energy to be expended on the target. Not on the dirt behind him. There's a reason that people who shoot people professionally don't use what you're using, and DO use what I'm suggesting. If you want to poke holes through everything on the other side of the bad guy though, that's your call. I just hope there's nobody else down range.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Yep, good point I just like to use the same ammo so there is no surprises .
I wouldn’t really be packin a 45 colt around the city much , the chances of me have to shoot in a crowded place is slim .
Ive been experimenting with the gold dot 45 Acp for soft targets but they shoot way different in my ruger Redhawk at 25yards I’m 6” low and 1” to the left .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Italian reproductions... I know some offer a .45 ACP cylinder with the .45 Colt... do they offer a 9x19mm cylinder with the .38/.357 models ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts