Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a rifle to use for diaster situations. I want it to be reliable enough to go bang every time. It doesnt matter if I can pick flys off at 10 zillion miles if it doesnt feed. I know everything needs to get cleaned but want a weapons system that is as reliable as possible.

I respect the M1A as a piece of history and it will allways have a place in my collection. Haha have to after the ammount of CMI mags I bought :) The purpose of this thread is to find a rifle that will be dead nuts reliable while not losing accuracy.

I started with an AK47 but am unimpressed with its suppresed capability and 300 yard range.
I currently use a Colt 6921 as a SHTF rifle. I am considering the switch to a Sig 556 Classic or Swat full size model. How close is the Sig 556 reliability to that of an AK47? How close is the accuracy potential and effective range compared to that of a Milspec M4 with the same shooters behind both rifles?

I am considering switching from an M1A to a Fal based on reliability reasons. I orginally went with the M1A based on the amazing acuracy. I bought an M1A standard and now am either getting a DSA FAL or a M1A match.

How close is the reliability of the DSA FAL to the Ak 47? How much more reliable is the FAL and M1A?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Let me know if you get the SIG, I was about to pull the plastic to get one few weeks ago, but read some dishearten reviews,,,do a search youll find them...I like the Ruger SR556, cept its front heavy because of the piston....Im leaning towards a 24" .556 Remington or another long barrel 556.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
So are you saying that you DON'T think the Colt 6921 or the M1A you already have are "reliable enough to go bang every time"?

Because I would have to disagree with that line of thinking. I don't think the grass is greener on the other side of that fence.

·
Premium Member
12,687 Posts
the only thing i have read is that some of the first sigs had a wandering zero problem,i assume thats been corrected by now....anyone else?

·
Registered
841 Posts
What problem are you trying to solve with the Colt? Is YOURS unreliable, or are you concerned that they are unreliable in general?

The reason I ask is I went through a similar set of questions myself a few years ago. I ended up with a piston AR because "they are more reliable". Not that I ever had a problem with my AR in the first place, but I read too damn much and figured I needed to "fix the problem". I took a direct impingement AR and the piston AR and tested them for myself. The DI was more reliable.

I gave up trying to solve the problems of rifles in general and just decided to worry about the problems I have. The big claim on the pistons was that it was more reliable, especially in the desert where some claimed that too much lube caused trouble. I live in the humid deep south, so my guns need oil to avoid rust anyway. Doesn't matter to me how it operates in the arctic or the desert. Doesn't matter to me how it performs with Hague convention compliant ammo, either; I can use a Barnes X for fighting if I choose to. So, my problems are a lot easier to address than the Army's problems. I have a far narrower set of environmental conditions to consider and a far broader selection of ammo options. Once I figured that out, it got easier for me to choose.

So, I would advise you to define the problem that you are trying to solve, then figure it out. The magazines and the internet help, but not that much, 99% of the articles I read were talking about problems I wasn't facing. What I ended up with would not be satisfactory to the Army, but it is as close to ideal for me as I could come up with.

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
I am looking for a rifle to use for diaster situations. I want it to be reliable enough to go bang every time. It doesnt matter if I can pick flys off at 10 zillion miles if it doesnt feed. I know everything needs to get cleaned but want a weapons system that is as reliable as possible.

I respect the M1A as a piece of history and it will allways have a place in my collection. Haha have to after the ammount of CMI mags I bought :) The purpose of this thread is to find a rifle that will be dead nuts reliable while not losing accuracy.

I started with an AK47 but am unimpressed with its suppresed capability and 300 yard range.
I currently use a Colt 6921 as a SHTF rifle. I am considering the switch to a Sig 556 Classic or Swat full size model. How close is the Sig 556 reliability to that of an AK47? How close is the accuracy potential and effective range compared to that of a Milspec M4 with the same shooters behind both rifles?

I am considering switching from an M1A to a Fal based on reliability reasons. I orginally went with the M1A based on the amazing acuracy. I bought an M1A standard and now am either getting a DSA FAL or a M1A match.

How close is the reliability of the DSA FAL to the Ak 47? How much more reliable is the FAL and M1A?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you don't have a rifle at all let alone a M1A....
Anybody that has one of the worlds finest, worlds most reliable, and worlds most accurate combat weapon in a M1A would even ask these questions....

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
If you like the AR, then stick with it. I don't see any advantage at all with a Sig over a good AR. M1A and FAL are top quality. FAL triggers aren't all that great but it's a purpose built Battle Rifle that needs nothing.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you don't have a rifle at all let alone a M1A....
Anybody that has one of the worlds finest, worlds most reliable, and worlds most accurate combat weapon in a M1A would even ask these questions....
I came to that conclusion after I replied in his last two idiotic threads...I also venture to guess he's under the age of 21....but that's all fine, so long as he mans up to it and asks real questions...

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
I came to that conclusion after I replied in his last two idiotic threads...I also venture to guess he's under the age of 21....but that's all fine, so long as he mans up to it and asks real questions...
Right, I could care less if some is trying to learn and they ask a thousand dumb questions..... But when you are saying that you have something, then asking about it is as ridiculous as it gets.
If he really did have these fine weapons he should be giving us his insights and recommendations, wouldn't you think?
But you know what the say.... "There are no stupid questions.... Only stupid people" :D:

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Looks like he went to FSU (Florida State University). If so, that's his main problem. :D:

Come a few miles down the road to Gator Country, FloridaState. Let us teach you a thing or two.:thumb:

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Looks like he went to FSU (Florida State University). If so, that's his main problem. :D:

Come a few miles down the road to Gator Country, FloridaState. Let us teach you a thing or two.:thumb:
SEC baby. :thumb:

Yeah, I was reading the OP and scratching my head ... but as I read further down the thread things took care of themselves. :)

Reactions: CZDiesel
1 - 15 of 15 Posts