Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
So I've been considering getting an AR15 while the getting is still good. I'm not actually a big fan of the AR platform, but seeing as it's sort of the generic choice I figure I'll get one anyway.
I've been considering the Colt LE6920 because it it's cheap enough and Colt is a name that I trust, but I don't actually know much about AR's and I wanted some input.
My primary desire is to get an AR that I can trust not to crap out on me after a decade or so of light use. I'm not a tactical operator, who operates tactically in low speed high drag environments, so I don't really need the BEST gun in the world. What I want is a light, affordable, 300 yard gun that is reliable enough to keep running without having a nice clean gun room full of spare parts and tools.
Is there any reason I should avoid the Colt LE6920?
I have heard rumors that some Colts do not interchange parts with other guns AR15s, is that true?
If any of you consider the LE6920 to be a bad choice, can you suggest a better choice in the same price range?

·
Threepin'
4,012 Posts
No reason to avoid really aside from the fact that Colt shafted the civilian market and didn't support us during the first AWB.

Their parts interchange just fine. I have tens of thousands of rds through mine. It was my first AR. Still has a place in my heart. To my knowledge, despite going bankrupt (I think twice now), their quality hasn't slipped.

I'm more of a BCM guy though.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
People are going to say build one...that way you a) know the rifle and b) get it just as you want.

That said the 6920 is a well known, respected gun.

Personally I don't like the look of carbine length gas systems and would ideally want a full rifle or at least an 18" barrel w/mid length system...thats me. Every now and then you hear how the carbine length systems are not as dependable as mid or rifle length, I don't know how true that it.

I'd say go handle a bunch of different set ups and see if the 6920 is what you want. (Think about the after-market accessories you'd like to add and make sure they fit, ie. if you get one with the a2 front sight will it need to be changed to fit the fore grip you want...etc)

Buying an upper and lower separate may get you what you want cheaper without changing parts.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The 6920 will do exactly what you are looking for. I'm also more of a midlength gas system / BCM kinda guy, but I own a 6920 that has been problem-free through several thousand rounds of hard use. I do not baby my guns, I certainly don't keep them spotless, and neither my Colt nor my BCM's have ever let me down.

Some parts are wear parts, regardless of what brand. If you shoot enough you will need to replace them. It never hurts to have a spare bolt, extractor, gas rings, or action spring (buffer spring) on hand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you wanting to stay with the 5.56 platform or are you thinking of .308 also?

Which ever brand you settle on I'd say stay mil-spec to have the widest interchangeability. At the end of the day you can't go wrong with a Colt, though you can overpay for it...

I own a DPMS which has worked perfectly for me now with several 1000 rounds thru it without issue. Colt is a well known name and I wouldn't mind owning one. That Colt name will also help should you ever decide to sell or trade. Definitely stay away from the homemade frankenguns.

I'll mention that Colt also has an entry level rifle, the Expanse M4 (sugg. MSRP $750) with less bells and whistles than the 6920 (sugg. MSRP $1000). So that might be worth checking out. Depends on what features you're seeking in a rifle.

With today's modern machining and quality manufacturing systems, most of the big names out there are all putting together quality weapons.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
I have an older 6920 (my first also) from back when they still made CHF barrels and I wouldn't own a new one as they will not disclose how they are made or what they are made from. That's a big deal for me though it isn't for many. For me, not knowing what the barrel is made of makes it impossible to gauge whether the price tag is worth it

There are quite a few choices for the same price range as the 6920. For instance, you can get a comparable quality rifle from PSA for $200 or so less than the colt.

Don't get me wrong, Im sure the Colt is still a good rifle. It just irks me that they wont reveal their secrets

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Caliber conversion isn't a big deal for me because I have other weapons. I wouldn't say I "want" to go with the .556, I actually really dislike the round. That said it's cheap and a lot of the people I'm close with have guns chambered for it kicking around, so it makes too much logistical sense for me to go for something I'd be more interested in.
I also see that there is probably value in staying away from the mystery barrels in favor of a known quantity, but I'm not an advanced enough user to really have an opinion on what an AR barrel should be made out of, so I may go with a Colt regardless.
Thanks for the input guys!

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
Caliber conversion isn't a big deal for me because I have other weapons. I wouldn't say I "want" to go with the .556, I actually really dislike the round. That said it's cheap and a lot of the people I'm close with have guns chambered for it kicking around, so it makes too much logistical sense for me to go for something I'd be more interested in.
I also see that there is probably value in staying away from the mystery barrels in favor of a known quantity, but I'm not an advanced enough user to really have an opinion on what an AR barrel should be made out of, so I may go with a Colt regardless.
Thanks for the input guys!
Either way, you can certainly do worse than a Colt, so go get ya one :thumb:

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
The older Colts had a weird size pin to hold the upper to the lower. That's awhile ago though. If you get a new one you should be good to go.

Personally, if I was going to get only one AR, I'd get one with a CHF chrome-lined barrel and those rifles can be had for much less. I wouldn't spend a grand on an AR without chrome lining - no way. After all, the barrel/chamber quality is one of the main things that separates a good rifle from a lesser rifle. The rest is mil-spec. Unless you get into fancy triggers.

If Colt is hiding their specs there is probably a reason.

IMHO

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
I first entered the AR world around four years ago, and had folks telling me not to waste my money on a Colt, as I'd be paying a premium for a name that no longer had anything in common with the company known for producing great ARs. Well, I never bought a Colt, but I did buy four ARs since then, two being "name brands" not necessarily known for ARs (S&W and Mossberg) and the other two being assembled from separate uppers and lowers bought online or at shows when the priced seemed right for the specs. I have no regrets about any of those purchases, although there are times when I wonder if I should have chosen different specs or components as part of the mental tinkering that online gun shopping encourages. In terms of reliability, I've never experienced a difference between brand-name and no-name.

That being said, buying a brand name gets you two things: customer service (warranty, parts availability, etc.) and resale value. I don't know if Colt's various financial woes have impacted its quality of customer service, but I'm sure that can be fairly easily researched. Resale value will depend a lot on market conditions.

I will say that these days, it really depends a lot on your budget and the numerous ARs available at the various price points. I also think that getting a well-built AR (complete, from a kit or from upper/lower) is easier than ever. A lot of the brands that were churning out junk guns or junk parts got crucified on the Internet, so Google can be your friend in this journey.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
IMO, since it seems like you want to keep it simple and are looking for a sound rifle and want to beat a possible ban/hyperinflated market for ARs, get the Colt, 20 Magpul PMAGS and 2 or 3 cases of ammo and call it good. That will probably run you a little over $2k and it should be a sound investment.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
If Colt is hiding their specs there is probably a reason.

IMHO

Ditto on the CHF and chrome lined

As for Specs. I don't see any reason they cant explain in lay terms the process. No one is going to be able to figure out exactly how their barrels are made without actually having a barrel and tearing it down and analyzing it with computers and CSI **** like that. A phone convo isn't going to reveal state secrets.

He wouldn't even tell me what steel it was made of but said it was milspec. If its Mil SPec, it has to be made of 4150cmv, that's according to 11595e. 11595e also specifies CHF as the process of manufacture and yet Colt says they use a "forging process, but not CHF. SO sounds shady as **** to me

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
Except that FN provides the barrels for mil contract

Speaking of that:

If I was only going to get one AR, forget the Colt, it might be this one. Or, they have other good ones that aren't so pricey.

https://www.fnamerica.com/products/carbines/fn-15-series/fn15-tactical/

FN 15™ TACTICAL CARBINE

5.56x45 mm
Semi-automatic only
RECEIVER
Hard-anodized aluminum
Flat-top receiver, M-1913 MIL-STD rail at the 12 o'clock position
Midwest Industries LWM 12" handguard with M-LOK™
Magpul MBUS® sights
BARREL
16" match-grade cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined free floating barrel
FN three-prong flash hider
1:7" RH twist
STOCK
Magpul MOE® grip
Magpul MOE® SL™ buttstock
OPERATING CONTROLS
Ergonomic safety lever and magazine release
Forward assist
MAGAZINE
Magpul PMAG®
30 round capacity
MSRP
$1,479.00

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Except that FN provides the barrels for mil contract
The TDP is owned by Colt. FN rents it (and pays a royalty to Colt). Colt does not allow any company that rents the TDP to manufacture weapons to that spec for civilian sales. They don't have that agreement with themselves.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Does that mean that there are not options out there that surpass the TDP in quality? Of course not. But if you are talking "milspec," that is based off the TDP, and Colt is the only company that can positively match that, when it comes to civilian sales. Everyone else is just guessing.

"Milspec" is the baseline of acceptable hard use rifles. Many companies surpass that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts