Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy one of these or something similar. Seen an older one today for 1200. It was at a local shop. The guy didn't know how old it was. Looked somewhat older normal scratches and all. Any recommendations on a brand, durability, and price range. Is colt the way to go? What could I look for to tell if this gun is gonna hold up, or will it need work. Just looking for tips or suggestions to consider when buying this type of used gun. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unless you just want a Colt there are cheaper and better ARs for less cash. RockRiver, DPMS, S&W, ArmaLite to name just a few. Also You can go the build your own route and pick most any combo of parts you want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha. Been looking some more. Where would you rank stag to colt or rock river. Found a like new stag ar 15, quad rail, 2.5x50 night vision, holographic site, quad rail, 1400. Feedback please.

·
Registered
77 Posts
do not spend 1400 on one ar-15 theres plenty of companys who sale decent ones for
under 1000 brand new look at Rock River or ArmaLite ive never shot BushMaster's but ive herd good things.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Unless you just want a Colt there are cheaper and better ARs for less cash. RockRiver, DPMS, S&W, ArmaLite to name just a few. Also You can go the build your own route and pick most any combo of parts you want.
Cheaper? Yes. Better? I don't think so, at least not the rifles you mention.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Don't drink the Koolaid, the Hartford Horsey isn't the end all be all of AR15's anymore, the competitive nature of the business has driven an explosion of quality improvements over Colt who primarily builds for government or military contracts so they are stuck with one model of production.

The others out there not only are eating up market share in the gov't and military sector but have embraced the civilian sector as well and responded to the needs of the shooters driving innovation and advancements in tactics and equipment available to the average citizen. Something Colt does not do as a corporation.

Reactions: Leupoldmk4

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You haven't seen Colts latest product offerings, apparently.

Does Colt make the best rifle on the market? No, there are rifles from several companies that have some outstanding offerings but they also generally cost more. I would say of the service grade rifles, Colt is in the top tier along with others like BCM and Daniels Defense.

Colt does make a rock solid rifle that has decades of R&D behind its manufacturing materials and processes. You certainly can't go wrong with a Colt.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Ha. Been looking some more. Where would you rank stag to colt or rock river. Found a like new stag ar 15, quad rail, 2.5x50 night vision, holographic site, quad rail, 1400. Feedback please.
Not all night vision scopes are the same. In fact, there is vast differences between them. The older ones (suck) are dirt cheap at $300 or so, with the new ones in the thousands of dollars.

Not all holo sights are the same. An EOtech is around $400, but the chinese knockoff (junk) is like $50.

There is no reason to pay $1500 for a (standard) used AR (unless it is an SP1 in perfect condition and you are a collector).

Stag, Colt, and Rock river are good to go. You will not notice a difference in performance.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
You haven't seen Colts latest product offerings, apparently.

Does Colt make the best rifle on the market? No, there are rifles from several companies that have some outstanding offerings but they also generally cost more. I would say of the service grade rifles, Colt is in the top tier along with others like BCM and Daniels Defense.

Colt does make a rock solid rifle that has decades of R&D behind its manufacturing materials and processes. You certainly can't go wrong with a Colt.
To be fair to his point, only recently has colt "upgraded" it's design to fit the tacticool and "ewww, direct impingement all over my bolt, piston, plz" bill...

I'm not a big colt fan, but they are difficult to beat in the AR market, especially at the price point for a standard "übermilspecz" rifle. I'd have a hard time ponying up for the higher end rifles when a time proven colt is, as you point out, under $1,000.

I'm being nice this time, I may or may not have had to much of Mr. Daniel's product this evening....next time I bomb the thread with destroyed Colt AR15s again....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cheaper? Yes. Better? I don't think so, at least not the rifles you mention.
Off the shelf, under $1000 rifles, there is little to no difference with any Mil-Spec AR, 100% reliability and the ability to hold zero are the gold standard.
You get what you pay for in time and money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts