Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm ready to buy my first AR and I think im gonna go ahead and get an LE6920 in the next few days. I'm wondering what the best ammo is for the Colt. Seems like different rifles like different types of ammo.

I want rounds for defense of course and rounds I can just burn thru on my berms when I feel like it. Don't want cheapest stuff either, just decent reliable ammo that my AR will enjoy eating and stay healthy on.

Also what kinda optics should I be looking for ? I dont plan on firing more then 250 yards unless a SHTF scenario arrises of course. What are the first things I should change if any as soon as I get the rifle ?

Anyone with a 6920 , plz feel free to share any insight with me. thanks kindly

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
You are making an excellent decision. The 6920 consistently rates among the highest quality AR's out of the box.

Your barrel is a 1/7" twist. Heavier stuff is supposed to be better but whatever you can find in decent quantity will do fine and it should work flawlessly. Any 55 FMJ or JHP will suffice for defense work. The Hornady 75 grain TAP has it's followers.

For optics, at the ranges you describe, I like the Trijicon Accupoint TR24G 1-4x w/Green Triangle on the flat top reciever and Troy BUIS. I would at least consider the compact ACOG in 1.5x mounted on your sight rail. They allow your stock iron sights to be used as well. A lot of cheaper optics are available. Buy once, cry once.

I wouldn't bother with railed forends or anything elaborate. Keep it simple, light and durable.

Get good mags. Colt, Bushy, Pmag or HK and a couple of 20 rd mags for sure.

I would get a Geissele non-adjustable trigger in there.

Trijicon makes a tritium front sight to use at night. Don't need a rear so it will save you $50 to just get the front.

El Zetta, Fenix, Surefire, Streamlight and others make good lights and mounts. I like the Surefire X300 and the Streamlight TLR-3.

Get some Slip 2000 to lube it with.

They come with a decent sling but there are dozens of others, too.

Take a good course.

·
Registered
347 Posts
good choice. Colt is good even if you don't do too much to it...
one thing you DO need is a fat wallet! to finance all the doodads you can do to it.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Excellent choice. The 6920 is the gold standard, IMO. I would look for surplus M855 for plinking and SHTF stockpile. Every 1/7" barrel I have had shot 62gr through 77gr very well.

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
"Hornady 75 grain TAP has it's followers."

It's been my experience these bullets, when loaded to the recommended OAL, are too long to fit in an AR magazine. Also, stay away from Hornady V-max bullets. The 1/7 twist will sling the thin jackets off these bullets. These barrels were designed for a heavier bullet than the old M-193 55gr thought they still work fine. The best accuracy will come from a Sierra Matchking 69gr HPBT. The SS109 62 gr FMJBT steelcore is a great plinking round and will be more accurate in that twist barrel.

Great choice on an AR, or anything Colt.

Rick

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lots of great information being shared here . I really appreciate you guys helping a noob out. Oh and I won't be firing this at anyone's ranges. i live on 11 acres out in the woods with no neighbors in sight , also have two back to back berms so I can do what i want here within reason of course. The personal range that I'm gonna build here will be between 200 and 300 yards at the most. So I'll be doing a decent amount of target practice maybe one or two days a week when I have time till the weather gets nasty here in Virginia come december or so.

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
Colts are great, but honestly I have shot a lot of ARs and they are all accurate and reliable if built correctly. You won't go wrong buying a Colt, but you will pay for the name. On the plus side, you'll get Colt tech support if you have a problem.

Enjoy your first EBR!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Colts are great, but honestly I have shot a lot of ARs and they are all accurate and reliable if built correctly. You won't go wrong buying a Colt, but you will pay for the name. On the plus side, you'll get Colt tech support if you have a problem.

Enjoy your first EBR!
The difference being if i ever decide to sell the colt I wont lose any money, the same cannot be said for any other AR in that price range. They all seem to lose a little value once they have been fired and used some. I'm paying 1099 shipped for the LE6920 and if I ever go to sell it I'll still get close to a grand no problem. Who knows what the future may hold, it could even go up in value a little too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For 250 yards and under, I would get an Aimpoint Comp M2, M3, M4 or PRO. I don't have a problem hitting targets at 300+ yards with an Aimpoint, dot scopes are faster than other types at close range, and the Aimpoints are extremely reliable.

For self defense, loads with the Hornady 75 grain and Nosler 77 grain bullets perform very well in gelatin without overpenetration. Loads with those bullets are made by Hornady, Black Hills, HSM and others. The 5.56 pressure rounds expand the range at which the bullet will fragment somewhat.

For cheap plinking ammo, I have never had any problems with M193 type ammo (whether from Federal, Winchester or IMI) in a 1/7 twist barrel. M193 is generally cheaper and more accurate than M855, although neither round is particularly accurate.

BTW, dsgarms.com has the Colt SP6920 for $945.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
The difference being if i ever decide to sell the colt I wont lose any money, the same cannot be said for any other AR in that price range. They all seem to lose a little value once they have been fired and used some. I'm paying 1099 shipped for the LE6920 and if I ever go to sell it I'll still get close to a grand no problem. Who knows what the future may hold, it could even go up in value a little too.
Good choice, but other AR's will retain their value. I have a BCM mid length carbine. I can assure you it will retain it's value. Good luck with the new rifle.

BTW, I use a Vortex Strikefire red dot on my BCM and it is flawless.

HH54r

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
Actually, I've never lost money on any AR sale of any brand (unless you count inflation).

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Colt is the standard in which most AR's are compared. You won't regret the investment. However with a 1/7 twist barrel, you will need to use 62 grain ammo. A 1/9 twist is better if you plan on using 55 grain ammo, and required if you use 45grain ammo. This is not a feed or reliability function, but an accuracy reliability standard. So for that barrel, just use 62 grain NATO spec ammo. If you are not sure if it is such by the box labeling, look for a painted bullet tip and a cross/inside circle on the back of the case.

The military uses 14.5" barrels with 1/7 twist b/c they use only 62 grain ammo and up.

Do not use 55 grain wolf steel cased .223 ammo. It will "work", but will cause issues eventually. This is an American fighting gun, so use American spec ammo (brass cased 5.56 cartridge with 62 grain bullet). In my opinion, this is the only ammo you should rely upon. If you exclusively use this ammo, the only problems you could have is due to excessive dirt, poor maintenance or bad mags.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good choice, but other AR's will retain their value. I have a BCM mid length carbine. I can assure you it will retain it's value. Good luck with the new rifle.

BTW, I use a Vortex Strikefire red dot on my BCM and it is flawless.

HH54r
I guess what I was getting at was i have seen others sit for sale for months and months before they sell but if i had to move the colt in a hurry i know it would sell fast. I dont think a newer thousand dollar bushmaster is gonna be as desirable on the used market as a 6920, BCM or an LMT, something along those lines. Been doing my homework and considered an RRA, LMT, BCM, DD and a few others but feel like out of the box, the Colt was the way to go, for me at least.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
I guess what I was getting at was i have seen others sit for sale for months and months before they sell but if i had to move the colt in a hurry i know it would sell fast. I dont think a newer thousand dollar bushmaster is gonna be as desirable on the used market as a 6920, BCM or an LMT, something along those lines. Been doing my homework and considered an RRA, LMT, BCM, DD and a few others but feel like out of the box, the Colt was the way to go, for me at least.
As long as it works for you.

HH54r

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
Just my advice, learn to use the iron sights. They work as far as choice of ammo it has a 1x7 twist so it likes heavier stuff 63gr and up. However it will shoot anything 55gr and even steel case. You will break before this rifle does.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you're absolutely right. I have several buddies with AR's who have been coming over and teaching me a few things and I'll continue to learn the basics before i go nuts with modifications. Just curious if anyone has dealt with Rat Worx before ? That's where i was thinking of ordering the rifle from.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ordered my LE6920 from Ratworx today. They say it will ship when the the FFL fax and money order are both in their hands. Should have my Colt by saturday. Now I wanna buy a thousand rounds for starters, just not sure exactly what I should buy. Seen a thousand rounds of Federal for $270 and thinkin bout starting with that. Also think i might get an EOTech but really not sure what i should get. I really dont wanna buy stuff that i dont need.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Congrats! I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm not an expert, but with my Colt Hbar I know that I can hit a 6 by 8 inch target more often than not using an Aimpoint Comp4 at 200 yds. I wouldn't magnify if this is your preferred range. I have an Eotech on my bushy which I prefer for home defense but like the Aimpoint for longer distance. At 100 yds you can dump 30 rounds in the same size target quickly using both platforms. One thing to remember is that an aftermarket stock, torch, vertical grip, ammo and optics will quickly increase your weapon from 6.5 lb. to 10 lb.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts