Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Water. It's necessary for us to survive. It's also produced by nature. Well at least for us in Florida it can rain almost every day down here. Recently I've been brainstorming about collecting and storing my own water. Of course when I talked to somebody about drinking rain water they looked at me with disgust (like the water from your tap is cleaner? And most people actually cook with tap water). Well one rainy night I put an assortment of containers outside and within an hour I had at least two large pots nearly full, as well as a large glass vase.

Now how to keep it.

I thought of just boiling it then bottling it but then I though... why not take the extra step and steam distill it. At least I think that's what it's called. Since then I have been working plans for a cone shaped apparatus that would allow steam to collect, drip down into a lip on the inside and run through an opening into another container. The idea is that by boiling the water and collecting the stream I could get nearly all of the contaminates out of the water (if rain water actually has any contaminates, I personally believe that rain is nature's way of purifying water).

The idea came as a method of getting drinking water from the sea if one were stranded on an island or something.

What are your thoughts on this?

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
my buddy has two plastics barrels one on each side of his house with the rain gutters spout running into them he use's gutter guards to keep leafs out

he uses the water for gardening and his pets but i had asked him and he would boil it
when he drank it his well was acting up a year ago thats all the water he had for a week unless he went and baught some

but he did say if your catching it with a clean container and pour it in a container like a water bottle that you no is clean it should be safe enough for you to drink

if you plane on collecting rain water be care full it is illegal in some places and im not kidding they say there not gonna go after people in homes but when shtf and they have foodlines what makes you think they wont try to keep us from getting water

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you flippin serious!!!! Illegal to collect rain water! That's just ****ing disgusting! It's natural and it's free! It's just one way the big guys up top try to keep us as their money-making battery! I apologize if I offend anybody, I love my country, but I totally hate and despise my government! We really don't need a government we can survive without them!!! The same with electricity. A house can be run by solar power, with the power plant supplying back-up energy. That would GREATLY reduce power plant emissions, save fuel, and keep the environment clean! But no! They won't do that! We have to pay them to supply energy we should be able to get ourselves.

Our government in it's current state utterly disgusts me.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
"Obviously if you use the water upstream, it won't be there for the person to use it downstream".

Interesting legal theory. How is the person downstream more important than I am? And who do you bribe to get a "water right"?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Collect it if you want. Richardson TX you have to have a permit to collect rain water. Not where I live though. I use mine for outdoor use only. remember it is coming off your roof. water the garden for example.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the idea I had to collect it was using large funnels and standing the container away from objects.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well the idea I had to collect it was using large funnels and standing the container away from objects.
large tarps might work better especially in a heavy rain with not a lot of wind.

Regardless of the method the important part is how you treat the water before drinking. Keeping the water in containers that are sealed is very important.
I would stock up on the coffee filters, cheap and work to remove some small particles from the water. Next, boil the water. No power? No fire? You should have made that solar cooker you been thinking about building by now so use that to boil the water. What I personally plan to do after that is run my water through Berky black filters.
The most important thing is to come up with a method that does not contaminate clean water. Use marked containers for the different steps. You don't want to put boiled water in the container you used to collect water after it ran through the coffee filters.

Once you do this you will have an appreciation for clean running water that you never had before.

For more info go to Youtube and look up collecting rain water. Lots of how-to videos.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
one of the upgrades im gonna make to the house will be the addition of either a sistern with a common junction to the roof gutters, or a simple 55 gallon bucket under a gutter spout. Either way- I'm going to use a simple AC filter to keep leaves, bugs, ect out of it. That should be enough of a start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts