Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Harrington & Richardson Model 865 Plainsman bolt action 22 rifle. It is a good rifle. It belonged to my grandmother, who gave it to my dad, who gave it to me.

While looking up information on the Harrington & Richardson Model 865 Plainsman I read that it had no collectors value. Prices for the rifle range in the low to mid $100s.

This got me to thinking, what other firearms are out there that have "no collectors value", but are reliable and affordable?

Couple of days ago I got an email from J&G sales that they have Spanish 1916 Mauser Bolt Action Short Rifle, 7x57, Good Condition, Used for $179.95. The picture on their website makes the rifle look like it is beat to hell, but for $179, why not get one? If nothing else for the collectors value. Then again, at that price the rifle probably has no collectors value.

The SKS used to sell for $88 - $99 dollars. When I paid $107, tax included, for my Chinese SKS I thought I had paid too much. Now look at the prices.

Mosin Nagant used to be dirt cheap, now look at them, $300 - $450. That is outrageous.

Carcano Model 91/38 carbine, the same rifle used to shoot JFK, on Gunbroker they are listed for $250, $295, one has a starting bid for $140.

With prices of rifles such as the Mosin Nagant going through the roof, is demand exceeding supply? Is the supply of Mosin Nagant rifles drying up? Or maybe the surrent prices is what the market allows them to sell at?

What other options are out there? Rifles that have no collectors value and prices are still reasonable.

·
Ultranationalist
12,877 Posts
Unfortunately the Garand isn't so cheap.

I'd love to have:

Russian Mosin (I got it for $200)
American Garand
British Enfield
German Mauser
Italian Carcano
Japanese Arisaka

I think most of those are pretty affordable, right? Obviously not the Garand. The Arisaka might be pricey too. I don't know.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think many new guns of today have no collectors value, but might be great guns for the money. The $300 bolt actions from Mossberg, etc.
I was thinking about older guns, say from the 1960s and 1970s that never gained a fan base, such as my Harrington & Richardson Model 865 Plainsman.

The sights on my Harrington & Richardson Model 865 Plainsman leave a lot to be desired, replacement magazines can be expensive, but it is very affordable.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Arisaka's can be had cheap, I got my sporterized one for <$100 just last summer. SKS, while they jumped up a few years ago, are now back down in the $200-$300 range, which isn't bad for a semi-auto.

many old .22's, especially tube feeders are always cheap, $75-$100...Sears/Ted Williams go cheap, single shot shotguns are almost always at give-away prices.

as far as cheap and reliable, just look for ugly guns, sporterized military guns, odd calipers, that kind of thing. Even some decent makes go cheap because of bad reputations that are often undeserved or overstated. take the Remington 742 semi-auto rifles from the 70's for example. they are very undervalued and underpriced but most are excellent guns and very accurate...OTOH, new savage bolt actions for <$300 new are pretty hard to beat as well. I know people that buy them when they are on sale (Gander has them for $259 this weekend) and resell them at deer camp for a nice profit!

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
30 years ago I bought a Marlin Glenfield model 60 in 22 cal used for $35, had to have a spring replaced last year but it still shoots good.

I have my dads Savage 340B in 222 rem made in the late 50's, still shoots sub MOA with my hand loads, instant death on varmints up to coyote size.

Neither of them have any collector value but remain a valued part of my freedom arsenal. They'll probably end up going to my grandson eventually.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have an old Spanish Mauser that Samco reworked. I've heard all the headspace horror stories but a gunsmith inspected mine. Shes a little banged up but she shoots a 1 1/2" group at 50 yards.
I just picked up one of those Gibbs jungle carbines. I love that thing, the action on it is slick as a whistle. They both fire 7.62x51. Neither gun is worth a crap money wise but I just personally love the old military bolt guns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shiba's and Socialization

My Ex and I had two shibas, brother and sister, that we put down last year, 15 years old. Two of the sweetest, smartest, most stubborn dogs I have ever seen. Very smart, you have to put in the time with them. They were raised around a lot of children, are kids were 7 and 10 when we got them. Very well socialized both with kids and other animals as well as with our two cats. I would get one again, but you have to put training time in with them.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
I own a couple of old Davis .32 acps I got for basically free. I added 2 new firing pins, some springs, some cleaning time, and 300 rounds of .32 acp.

I think I'm up to $100 for the pair if you include the 300 rounds of ammunition. Boat/car/plinking guns. I bought them hoping they would fail during operation to teach the kids clearing semi-auto problems. But the stupid things just work so far when we plink with them.

I could get my money back easily but I got them in my oddity/historical gun drawer now.

I have a small collection of full choke 30" single shot shotguns that I've picked up over the years. I bought one for parts to fix another and both ended up working in the end. Only one has any sort of bluing on it. That one was one my grandpa bought from a feed store for <$10 a half a century ago. So I have 2 - 32 acp pistols and 3 - 12 ga single shot shotguns and the lot of them I picked up and got into working order for ~$150.

If I die someday and the kids toss them in the trash...well I got my money's worth on education and tinkering alone.

When the Clinton gun buyback comes, I'll let the government have 4 of them for $1000 each. :D:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Condition is everything and the only thing when it comes to collecting any item. Some guns will increase in value due to inflation but won't gain anything comparatively. If you can buy guns in very good condition at low prices you may score a increase in value. When a load of M96 in 6.5x55 became available I bought one that was like new in cosmoline for $75.00. Kimber right about then started up as a new company. They bought the existing supply of m96's and sporterized every one of them. Now a good m96 costs about $400.

·
Registered
136 Posts
From 1891, through to 1945, an estimated 36 million Mosin Nagant M91 and 91/30 rifles were made, . First 4 million made were by Remington, and Westinghouse East River Plant, for the Czar of Russia by 1898. Also, in other factories, in France, and Russia, during and after the Revolution.

The US Army issued millions for WWI, to our Army and to allied nations, plus, for lend-lease.
From 1946, through 1986, the final total of over 100 million, was reached. In February 2013, another Russian arm, the AK-47, in several versions, finally surpassed Mosin Nagant rifle production numbers, again, being manufactured in over 17 nations who were assisted or in partnership to Russia.
Source: 7.62x54r.net and Gunboards.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a ithica model 90 that my dad gave to my mom for their 10th anniversary, it cost him $20. Its now been handed down to me. It was what I learned to shoot with, and when my 2yo grandson is old enough, it'll be handed down to him. I also got a "little scout", forget the brand think its Remmington or stevens rolling block .22 that also will be handed down to him. Don't think I'm neglecting my daughters, they'll recieve the rest of my collection, Mausers, Mosins, Remmingtons etc., and my eldest will get my M1 Garand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Harrington & Richardson Model 865 Plainsman bolt action 22 rifle. It is a good rifle. It belonged to my grandmother, who gave it to my dad, who gave it to me.

While looking up information on the Harrington & Richardson Model 865 Plainsman I read that it had no collectors value. Prices for the rifle range in the low to mid $100s.

This got me to thinking, what other firearms are out there that have "no collectors value", but are reliable and affordable?

Couple of days ago I got an email from J&G sales that they have Spanish 1916 Mauser Bolt Action Short Rifle, 7x57, Good Condition, Used for $179.95. The picture on their website makes the rifle look like it is beat to hell, but for $179, why not get one? If nothing else for the collectors value. Then again, at that price the rifle probably has no collectors value.

The SKS used to sell for $88 - $99 dollars. When I paid $107, tax included, for my Chinese SKS I thought I had paid too much. Now look at the prices.

Mosin Nagant used to be dirt cheap, now look at them, $300 - $450. That is outrageous.

Carcano Model 91/38 carbine, the same rifle used to shoot JFK, on Gunbroker they are listed for $250, $295, one has a starting bid for $140.

With prices of rifles such as the Mosin Nagant going through the roof, is demand exceeding supply? Is the supply of Mosin Nagant rifles drying up? Or maybe the surrent prices is what the market allows them to sell at?

What other options are out there? Rifles that have no collectors value and prices are still reasonable.
I also have a Spanish 1916 Mauser I bought at a garage sale for $135. I have 3 Mossberg 500's all bought less than $150 at Gunshows or pawn shops in different configurations. I also found a Marlin 780 at Gunshow for $115. Now I also have nice firearms like my stainless Colt Commander but th e cheap ones are fun to find.:thumb:

·
Eyes open all of the time
147 Posts
Back in the late 1970's, I always regret not buying a M-1 Carbine I saw at a Liquor store that sold used guns - the price was around $40 I recall.

I did buy a 30-06 model 760 for around $100 from the same store that I still have today. It is a very handy "brush" gun that has put its share of meat in the pot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.