Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching a few local stores and even online a bit, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I'd like to try and find a collapsible fishing pole, one that can fold down to about 2-3 feet in length.

Anyone know of any manufactures that make them? Something that could strap to the outside of a pack to take on hiking trips.

·
Trollbait
95 Posts
Amazon.com: Berkley CE Ice Fishing Ultralite Rod & Reel Combo: Sports & Outdoors

That might be in your budget. I'm also looking for a compact fishing pole for bicycling and backpacking. The ice fishing rigs are what was suggested to me, so I'll share the suggestion as an option to look into. There's even some 20" poles to be found I believe.

I don't know what to say about a multi-piece or collapsible. I've never had luck with those. :thumb:

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
bunch of them for sale on Ebay, search for "travel fishing pole"

I've been meaning to get one just got put on the back burner, thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shakespaere makes a full size pole that breaks down into 4 sections, fits nicely into my kelty 3950 trekker. I usually just put the reel in the top flap of the pack. its not fancy but it is a fullsize rod

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
fishing pole...about 2-3 feet in length.
...Something that could strap to the outside of a pack to take on hiking trips.
Fishing with these takes a little more skill and know-how, but I'd check into an ultra lite, make it an uglystick and use 6lb test. Uglysticks come in different variations, so you should be able to find one that'll fit the bill--ish.
They may not break down into 20" sections--for example--mebbe one 20 and one 30"--but they're very flexible so if ya snag them on anything, ya ain't gonna break them.

I taught my Sig how to fish with these and we've limited out in trout the last 2 days, 12-16" range. Can't "horse" larger fish in with them, but then again, if you're backpacking, it's not like you're going after catfish or big northern, which one shouldn't use multi sectioned/small poles for anyway. Don't know what kind of action one would get on a fly rod with a pole that would break down into such small sections as due to being a fly rod, there'd also have to be a lot of them. With an ultra light, you can fudge w/one of those little plastic water/air bobbers and cast that as long as you're using a wetfly.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'm looking for the exact same thing, doesn't have to extend to a typical full length for me, and I want to attach an ultra light spinning reel to it, with 6lb test line. I saw a website, they make bait casting and spinning reels, in a pocket size and they looked good...but I read some reviews and the rods weren't as good as expected as I recall. I forgot the website but I remember finding it via a google search. The combos were very affordable.
AH, here's the link, just found it via google search:
http://penfishingrods.com/shop/index.php

·
Custom Knife Maker
229 Posts
I wouldn't suggest using a collapsible fishing pole because they are brittle and I have broken a few of them, never had one last, but instead get one with multiple sections. They do make them to break down to about 12" long and then just get you a reel for them. Heres one kit that aint too bad of a price and they are the same company that makes the Ugly Stik and I love and highly recommend Ugly Stiks. Price aint bad either and you dont even have to keep the case but its rod, reel, and small tackle box for $40, all you need is some fishing line.

http://www.fishusa.com/Shakespeare-Excursion-Deluxe-Travel-RodReel-Kits_p.html

Here is one that is just the rod alone.
Amazon.com: Shakespeare Medium Action Travel Mate Combo (6-Feet 6-Inch): Sports & Outdoors
http://www.troutlet.com/Shakespeare-Ugly-Stik-Pack-Rods-P132.aspx (this would be my personal choice)

For a reel I would suggest a Shimano because they really hold up and last and are smooth.

·
Forewarned is Forearmed
949 Posts
Cabelas sells some very nice travel rods with nice cases. I've been wanting to get one to add to my BO Gear for some time now. Soooooooooon........

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I use a diawa minispin and the case has strap loops for a pack the case is about a foot long and about 6-8 in at the widest and about 2-3 in deep when all assembled its about a 4-5ft pole

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
i used to have a lil colapsable spinning rod, it was a POS but it got used alot it worked but it got stuck on the last segment one time and wouldnt colapse, but in a survival situation it would be fine i suppose u wouldnt use it all the time until TSHTF, but i think the ice fishing ones would be alot better quality, people been using them for years.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
A note about rods from a guide

Telescoping rods and pack rods are very fragile as they depend on being properly extended and assembled. One mistake and you will pay.

It's important to find something that addresses your needs properly. An ultralight will not do you too much good on a salmon stream running 5 knots. Decide on the upper limit and go from there.

My pack kit is a 24" section of PVC capped at both ends. It secures a good 5 piece flyrod and casting rods and and high quality reels, along with proven flies and lures. I also have some more line, leaders, hardware and parts inside. I have used it on every species of sportfish here in Alaska, except sharks, and done well.

As far as tackle goes, it's better to have baits and lures too small than too large, especially for finicky species. With rods/reels, it's just the opposite: go heavier than what you might find sporting.

I have nice expensive gear but it's what I do and I am a gear queer, so try to get the most from it. My pack and travel rods are touchy so I only use them when I am doing just that. I typically carry a pack rod for b/u when working.

That said, these are great combos and very durable for survival or leisure. Great for kids. Steps up would be St. Croix, Sage and G. Loomis.

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/index_kitscombos.html

·
Custom Knife Maker
229 Posts
Telescoping rods and pack rods are very fragile as they depend on being properly extended and assembled. One mistake and you will pay.

It's important to find something that addresses your needs properly. An ultralight will not do you too much good on a salmon stream running 5 knots. Decide on the upper limit and go from there.

My pack kit is a 24" section of PVC capped at both ends. It secures a good 5 piece flyrod and casting rods and and high quality reels, along with proven flies and lures. I also have some more line, leaders, hardware and parts inside. I have used it on every species of sportfish here in Alaska, except sharks, and done well.

As far as tackle goes, it's better to have baits and lures too small than too large, especially for finicky species. With rods/reels, it's just the opposite: go heavier than what you might find sporting.

I have nice expensive gear but it's what I do and I am a gear queer, so try to get the most from it. My pack and travel rods are touchy so I only use them when I am doing just that. I typically carry a pack rod for b/u when working.

That said, these are great combos and very durable for survival or leisure. Great for kids. Steps up would be St. Croix, Sage and G. Loomis.

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/index_kitscombos.html
I too go for quality which is why I suggested a tried and true rod, the Ugly Stik, and they make it pack size as well.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I too go for quality which is why I suggested a tried and true rod, the Ugly Stik, and they make it pack size as well.
I replaced all my rods with Ugly Sticks - they are great.

As for fly fishing - I have caught more fish on flies that with lures - but you have to use the right flies

·
Registered
50 Posts
take a look at my thread great bob fishing rod its a shimano rod that breaks down to 1 ft and its a very nice ultralight thats 5 5 fully extended its about 100 cnd

1 - 20 of 21 Posts