Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Born to raze hell
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a coleman stove, propaine. It has two valves, one for each burner. There is no gas on/of on the connector to the bottle, just a preset regulator. Can I hook up a 25# cylinder (using the propper fittings)? The instructions say not to, but I cannot tell if that is a mechanical issue or CYA on thier part. I'll get another stove if need be. . . .

Also, if I used MAP gas, would that roast my stove?

Thanks!
OVC

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'm glad you're asking this. I'm looking for a good propane stove but I want to hook it up to my 20lb tank.

Assuming it's a bad idea to connect to the Coleman, any tips on another good stove that's meant to be hooked up to the 20lb LP tanks?

·
Retired and luvin it!
1,007 Posts
I haven't done it but I've seen some adapters on some of the RV'ing sites that supposedly allow this to work. I've also seen adapters to refill the smaller tanks from the 20# tanks as well....

HTH
CW

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you replace the regulator you could (in theory!). The exising regulator will fail with the greater presure of the 20 pound tank. It's designed for the lower pressure from the smaller propane cans. That's why Coleman says not to do it.

Find a regulator from an old propane grill and swap it in. YMMV!

·
Born to raze hell
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'll get a new hook up, I thought that regulator might be the issue. I just hate using those little tiny cans all the time, although they are easier to conceal indoors . . . . .
OVC

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If you replace the regulator you could (in theory!). The exising regulator will fail with the greater presure of the 20 pound tank. It's designed for the lower pressure from the smaller propane cans. That's why Coleman says not to do it.

That is a correct statement and exactly what we did. Lowes and Home Depot usually carry the kits to do this.

·
Born to raze hell
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pudding,
There are coleman stoves meant to be hooked up to a larger tank. Look at your favorite camping equipment source, there are "trees" off of which you can run your propaine stove, light, heater etc, all at once. I think it is a matter of locating the right stove. I grabbed mine at a convienient moment but didn't bother to see ahead of buying if it could be hooked up to a bigger tank . . . I think I'll retro-fit before I buy a new stove.

OVC

·
Registered
4,090 Posts

The pressure in a disposeable canister and a 20 lb. propane tank is the same.No need to swap.I have a hose/adapter set up,and it works fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can buy a hook up for it in the camping section. I got one a few years ago. It cost around $36. I use it to hook my Coleman camp stove to a 20 lbs propane bottle. It works fine. That was the reason I went with the Coleman brand. I figured I would have more chance of finding an adapter for the stove.

I should add that I don't leave the tank hooked up to the stove when the stove is not in use.

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
I have used a regular hose from the camping store for years and never had any trouble. In fact i have a pipe that hooks to a either a twenty or hundred pound tank and uses hoses from it. (simular to one below)

·
Registered
46 Posts
The pressure in a disposeable canister and a 20 lb. propane tank is the same.No need to swap.I have a hose/adapter set up,and it works fine.
After doing a bit of research, I think FredLee is correct.

Nowhere in my Coleman manual does it say not to use a 20lb propane tank.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/pdf/5435.pdf

While I could not find the PSI spec on a filled 16.4 oz Coleman propane tank at 80 degress F, Coleman actully sells an adapter hose to run a stove from a 20lb tank.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?product_id=5470A7931T

The regulator needs to reduce the PSI to 15 PSI hitting the stove. I just need to confim the maximum PSI on the tank side the regulator can handle.

I'm going to call Coleman to get the final answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The pressure inside the tanks is the same. It is exactly the vapor pressure of the propane or propane/butane mix. Doesn't matter if it is a 1000 gal tank.
It's higher in summer and lower in winter. It is a function of the ambient temperature.

I recommend against the MAP gas. Burns very hot. Definitely not what coleman had in mind. Surprised you would mention it as it is for welding and a lot more expensive than propane (if I understood correctly to what you were referring).

·
Right Handed
1,371 Posts
I have used a regular hose from the camping store for years and never had any trouble. In fact i have a pipe that hooks to a either a twenty or hundred pound tank and uses hoses from it. (simular to one below)

Exactly what i use and a good regulator. run your light and stove real easily.:thumb:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use 20 and 30s on all my small bottle acc. I have one of the re-fill adapters. It is illegal to transport a re-filled disposable cylinder. I do not know how anyone could tell unless the LP has serial numbers. If you do re-fill for potability such as lanterns put cylinder to be filled in freezer and put 20 or 30 pounder in sun under a dark tarp.

·
Registered
268 Posts
sometimes the 20 lb units can cause issues with the smaller unit type devices...may not with the stove though. I have a Portable Buddy Heater that states you should use a filter if you hook up a 20 lb tank...I said bah why should I do that. Well contaminants plugged up the regulator and I had to put a new one in and order a filter. May be worth it to put a filter on the stove just in case.

·
Sell crazy someplace else
2,534 Posts
I use 20 and 30s on all my small bottle acc. I have one of the re-fill adapters. It is illegal to transport a re-filled disposable cylinder. I do not know how anyone could tell unless the LP has serial numbers. If you do re-fill for potability such as lanterns put cylinder to be filled in freezer and put 20 or 30 pounder in sun under a dark tarp.
Can you explain your refill procedure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry for the delay but I was at Ft Bragg NC for my 3 week annual reserve training.

I called Coleman (800-835-3278) and asked about using a 20 lb propane tanks with their stoves that uses the 16 oz small propane tanks.

They said that it's fine and all you need its their 5 foot hose (part # 5470A7931T). The Coleman rep said that they have had these hoses for 30 years! The regulator in the stove will work fine with either tank.

FredLee got this right!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts