Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is just something I thought of while in the camping aisle at walmart. I was looking around and saw a $10 Coleman fixed blade knife. It has full tang, wooden scales, lanyard hole, and a cheap nylon sheath. I was wondering what you guys thought of it as a backup fixed blade knife to throw in your pack because it seemed fairly light.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, I've read reviews on it and people say that the knife is not as cheap as they thought and have batoned up to three inch logs with it. That being said I don't know how the durability is. I will probably just buy two and test the other until it breaks.

·
I love this *****
Very Prepared!!
34,083 Posts
Hey guys this is just something I thought of while in the camping aisle at walmart. I was looking around and saw a $10 Coleman fixed blade knife. It has full tang, wooden scales, lanyard hole, and a cheap nylon sheath. I was wondering what you guys thought of it as a backup fixed blade knife to throw in your pack because it seemed fairly light.
I personally wouldn't want to stake my life on a 10 dollar Walmart knife. Coleman used to be known for its quality but those days are long gone. Save up and get a knife you can trust.

Reactions: Cryptkeeper

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't believe that 12 dollar rough use knife took that much damage. I might think about it but im looking for something on the smaller side to fit in my pack and not take up much room. Thanks for the help

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Hey guys this is just something I thought
Nice little knife. Frost Cutlery had one exactly like it a few months back. I picked it up for $9 if I recall correctly. Wasn't tagged as a Coleman product, though. It was a Beaver Creek, I think.

The grip was a bit small for my hands, and the grip panels were a fraction of an inch small in all dimensions. The steel tang stuck out a fraction of a hair all the way around. Not uncomfortable in any way, just noticeable. My nephew has it now.

Good knife.

Be safe.

rich

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
I personally wouldn't want to stake my life on a
I love how you guys always "stake your life on this or that" all the time. You guys must live exciting lives. Sliding down glaciers and only get one stab at the ice before falling to your doom....going hand to hand with drugged out terrorists....fighting space aliens....amputating your own limbs with a P-38 can opener etc etc etc yada yada yada.

Wish I could have a life of daring do like you boys.

Good luck in your next life-staking adventure, sir!

rich

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I always felt like if I'm going to carry a "backup" knife that it should be at least as good as my primary blade.
If I was worried that my primary knife would chip,break,get dull or get wet & instantly transform into a big slab of rust I wouldn't want my "backup" knife to be anything of LESS quality.
If your concern is that your good knife will get lost then you have different issues. You might want to start out with your "backup" knife & get that one lost instead.

As for the knife you asked about,most any knife you find a Walmart should stay there.
Around here the only knives I would even consider buying from Walmart are the Bucks.

Cliff

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info y'all, im kinda starting to lean towards the buck packlite skinner by the way to throw in the pack. Possibly do some sort of modifications to make it almost like a backup survival knife.

·
I love this *****
Very Prepared!!
34,083 Posts

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I purchased a similar knife through walmart at about that cost. It was a winchester branded knife. It was horrible. The knife would not keep an edge for anything. It sharpened up nice, but a week later it would get so dull. I skip all "walmart specials" now.

Want a inexpensive backup knife, for a Mora. They are proven to last. Opinel is another good inexpensive option but they are mostly folders.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
I purchased a similar knife through walmart at about that cost. It was a winchester branded knife. It was horrible. The knife would not keep an edge for anything. It sharpened up nice, but a week later it would get so dull. I skip all "walmart specials" now.
Was that the Winchester Bowie knife? I was eyeing those up just because Bowie knives are kinda cool..

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
I love how you guys always "stake your life on this or that" all the time. You guys must live exciting lives. Sliding down glaciers and only get one stab at the ice before falling to your doom....going hand to hand with drugged out terrorists....fighting space aliens....amputating your own limbs with a P-38 can opener etc etc etc yada yada yada.

Wish I could have a life of daring do like you boys.

Good luck in your next life-staking adventure, sir!

rich
Dude, THAT was a great post! :thumb:

By the way, I have carried a $1 WalMart folder in my pocket for months, no issues yet. I guess my life isn't that exciting though...

·
Banned
8,012 Posts

Want a inexpensive backup knife, for a Mora. They are proven to last. Opinel is another good inexpensive option but they are mostly folders.
no knife will hold an edge if you misuse it. 25 years ago a "cheap" knife was junk. today a $2 knife can blow your socks off or be "ok". its tuff to find a real junker today.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
no knife will hold an edge if you misuse it. 25 years ago a "cheap" knife was junk. today a $2 knife can blow your socks off or be "ok". its tuff to find a real junker today.
Well I didn't misuse it at all. Just normal stuff not even heavy use. A little rope, a little weeds, a little packaging, some food. I don't know if I had a bad batch but it was a real junker. I'll send it to you if you want and you can try it and let me know what you think. But the edge would not keep for very long. Too bad too because it had a nice feel and fit to my hand.

And as you know a dull knife is a dangerous one. So to me that made it a true junker. Reminds me of this chef knife I got at the dollar store. My butter knifes kept a better edge than that thing.

·
Appalachian Adventurer
225 Posts
Its a decent knife for 10 bucks. GO FOR IT. but not as a back up, keep it as a beater, for batonning/opening cans/ etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts