Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Take me out to the black
3,030 Posts
Better than harsh language or your swingin' cod.

Such things have their place is you are in a NPE (Non Permissive Environment) but then you run the risk of getting caught and facing punishment anytime you carry anything for defense in a NPE, so the choice is up to you.

The Skean Dhu looks like the most effective as it's fairly small and the "blade" is bulky and looks like it'd be a good temple or throat stabber.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
As far as any knife for a defensive weapon, that will depend on your ability to use one. Cost, manufacturer, length or edge will be secondary.
I claim no superior skill in fighting with one, but have extensive training in removing one from you. Can you tell on sight who else may be similarly trained, and do you want that person facing YOU with YOUR knife? Bear in mind, if he got it away from you, what else has he been trained to do?
If you were indeed trained in the defensive use of a knife, you would not be asking questions about the viability of any knife for defensive use. You would use what you train with.
If you truly feel the need to carry a defensive weapon, get one that will deal with all comers.
I offer this with all due respect. Please read nothing more into this than there is a greater possibility of making a bad situation worse by entering into a conflict with the wrong weapon and no training.

·
Take me out to the black
3,030 Posts
http://www.coldsteel.com/nightshadeseries.html

It's their series of polymer "blades".

They aren't really knives per se but more like force compliance tools and something that can be jabbed into soft parts of douchebag's bodies.

As I said earlier, not my first choice but better than nothing at all.

For an EDC last ditch weapon they would work well or for carrying on a plane (I beleive plastic blades are legal to carry on planes but check for yourself first!) or in similar NPE's.

http://www.coldsteel.com/pocketshark.html

this might be a better choice for carry ona plane though. jammed into a temple or eye socket this will ruin Goofy's day.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
As far as any knife for a defensive weapon, that will depend on your ability to use one. Cost, manufacturer, length or edge will be secondary.
I claim no superior skill in fighting with one, but have extensive training in removing one from you. Can you tell on sight who else may be similarly trained, and do you want that person facing YOU with YOUR knife? Bear in mind, if he got it away from you, what else has he been trained to do?
If you were indeed trained in the defensive use of a knife, you would not be asking questions about the viability of any knife for defensive use. You would use what you train with.
If you truly feel the need to carry a defensive weapon, get one that will deal with all comers.
I offer this with all due respect. Please read nothing more into this than there is a greater possibility of making a bad situation worse by entering into a conflict with the wrong weapon and no training.
+1 Always worth remebering.
When I was an S/O one of our local A**holes pulled a kitchen knife on a couple of serbs and ended up getting near gutted for his trouble.
Proves a valuable point, size dont mean jack if you cant use it for crap.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Very handy indeed.
I have a few made from Zytel and are happy with them.
I am glad you posted the link because I was not aware of these updated ones.
These seem to be better then Zytel, isn't technology wonderful.
I will order a couple this afternoon.

·
Registered
535 Posts
http://www.coldsteel.com/nightshadeseries.html

It's their series of polymer "blades".

They aren't really knives per se but more like force compliance tools and something that can be jabbed into soft parts of douchebag's bodies.

As I said earlier, not my first choice but better than nothing at all.

For an EDC last ditch weapon they would work well or for carrying on a plane (I beleive plastic blades are legal to carry on planes but check for yourself first!) or in similar NPE's.

http://www.coldsteel.com/pocketshark.html

this might be a better choice for carry ona plane though. jammed into a temple or eye socket this will ruin Goofy's day.
Titanium chop sticks are great for airplane travel. They are sold at very high end Japanese shops. They run about $80 instead of $300+ some knife shops would charge you for similar tools. Since they are chop sticks, they are good to go. The packaging is fancy bambo.

·
Take me out to the black
3,030 Posts
Titanium chop sticks are great for airplane travel. They are sold at very high end Japanese shops. They run about $80 instead of $300+ some knife shops would charge you for similar tools. Since they are chop sticks, they are good to go. The packaging is fancy bambo.
Good idea... a bit too rich for my blood though. haha

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Please note that the carry of those "knives" into some aeroports is banned let alone on a plane except in checked luggage...Do not think that taking them on a plane will save the day when terrorists take it over as you won't be on the flight but in jail...

I can not verify the truth, 100%, of this but I've read and been told that due to people trying to sneak them onto planes, the material has some metal particles embedded in the Zytel so that they will be detected...Again, I don't know or really care...

I have a very old one that I've been using as a letter opener for over a decade and they are light, very strong and damn tough and can be sharpened with a nail file...

Are they good for defence, better then nothing but I'd rather trust to something steel...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts