Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive recently grown an interest in soldering
I had 40 bucks on hand and figured id go out and get a decent soldering iron and some solder just to have to solder up my neon light wires in my room. So i stoped in walmart and they really didnt have anything good surprisingly, so we went over to radioshack knowing they have some good ones
well they do but turns out i got one of the worst soldering irons on earth
the coldheat
i mean sure it all sounds good on paper but when you experience it for yourself you will instantly dislike it

So if you were or are thinking about getting one let me just share my pros and cons about the product

PROS.
wont burn you
has a pretty bright led light
only takes 4 aa batteries

Cons.
Very fragile tip
Hardly ever melts the solder
tip is also huge, almost imposible to solder circuit boards
batteries get super hot

i wouldnt even recomend this to a person who is new to it because i was pretty new and just hate it, i used my old wood burner to solder dyer projects so i had a bit of experience but its just an awefull product

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Return it, get a Weller.
I agree BUT get a weller with an IRON CLAD tip not one of the copper tips.
The iron clads last for YEARS, are easy to clean with a bit of steel wool or a small wire brush if necessary when cold, they transfer heat better, you can replace the tips with tips of specific shapes designed for the job you are doing. I can go on and on but the fact is they work the best. They generally have a grounded tip as well so if you do end up working on static sensitive components you are safe.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i thought about geting a butane but i didnt want to constantly worry if im gonna run out of gas and stuff, id rather have it pluged in a wall, constant current but i kinda screwed up getting that cold heat

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree about the cold heat too. I bought one about two years ago when I was getting ready to rebuild my stratocaster, figuring it would be great for soldering the pick ups, pots, switch, etc. It was awful, finicky to use, and the tips are way too fragile like you said.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh man i bet that was really hard since your in a compromising position and on top of that a piece of junk soldering iron
yeah i really dont understand why they cant just fix the darn things and mabey they would make some money cus i sure as hell aint keeping it, lol

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
cold heat doesn't work well for anything useful. I solder stuff all the time... and use a weller WES51 at work everyday.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Tried one and returned it, Junk product

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hah, exactly, i dunno why anyone would keep one of these unless they just do little minor repairs once a month because thats the only way a damn tip would last ya
but yep i got that weller soldering station from radioshack for the same price as that cold heat and it comes witha stand, sponge and you canswitch between 20 and 40 watts

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
i thought about getting one
i dunno how it would hold up for me i just do random stuff
My Ultratorch lasted through a few years of being shoved into my ammo can toolbox and bounced around in the back of the service van, for the last 12 years it's been my go to iron simply because there is NO chance of it 'zapping' sensitive electronics.

They are pricey (I paid $100) but short of driving over it with a truck, pretty much indestructible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts