Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my sixth 20 pound propane tank for use with a Mr Heater 30,000 btu heater using the conversion hose assembly. I tested the heater last year and the heater ran about 5 days on low. Hopefully I now have a decent month supply.

Also just got 2 new spouts from tractor supply to replace the crappy spouts that come on new gas cans. The gasket fails after a year or two, so I will be replacing all the spouts on my fuel canisters for my gas generator.

I just picked up an Infra red heater to try out this year. Apparently they are really efficient, so if electric bills start going up, maybe this can help offset some of the cost.

Also picked up a Lasko MyHeat 200w personal heater to run off my starter solar backup system.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
If you can handle the kerosene smell one of the 23,000 btu heaters last about 18 hours. I think it’s about a gallon and a half tank. Kerosene will be around $4.25/gallon if you can find a bulk tank at a gas station. I have also heard they run well on the ultra low sulfur diesel but haven’t tried it.

I buy outdated propane tanks (old style valve) for about $5/tank and exchange them. New tanks are $32.50 (new full - exchange price = $32.50). Total cost of a new full tank is about $23. I then get them refilled at a local forklift place for $12.50 out the door. I have 11 20lb and one 30 pound tanks that way. I watched a video of a guy who put one of those heat driven fans on top of his buddy heater and he said he could feel the heat over 10 feet away.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Just got my sixth 20 pound propane tank for use with a Mr Heater 30,000 btu heater using the conversion hose assembly. I tested the heater last year and the heater ran about 5 days on low. Hopefully I now have a decent month supply.

Also just got 2 new spouts from tractor supply to replace the crappy spouts that come on new gas cans. The gasket fails after a year or two, so I will be replacing all the spouts on my fuel canisters for my gas generator.

I just picked up an Infra red heater to try out this year. Apparently they are really efficient, so if electric bills start going up, maybe this can help offset some of the cost.

Also picked up a Lasko MyHeat 200w personal heater to run off my starter solar backup system.
if you don't want to keep more than six of 20lbers - you can get empties cheap at garage sales / on-line to stockpile >>> use them for trading stock for "last minute" shopping at any of the tank exchange places - for winter SHTFs put it on the top of your check-off list - make sure you know the 24/7/365 outlets that have the exchange cages - make heating a priority ....

·
Rebel Scum
1,661 Posts

·
Low speed , High drag
1,093 Posts
My local tractor supply is selling 20lb propane tanks for 55 bucks as of yesterday o_O

·
Registered
3,572 Posts

Those infrared heaters are only efficient if they are pointing at you or something you want to warm up. They aren't any more efficient than any other electric heater if you wa t to heat the air in a room.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

You need to get the in line filter that screws to the heater it prevents the unit from clogging up with bulk tanks .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you can handle the kerosene smell one of the 23,000 btu heaters last about 18 hours. I think it’s about a gallon and a half tank. Kerosene will be around $4.25/gallon if you can find a bulk tank at a gas station. I have also heard they run well on the ultra low sulfur diesel but haven’t tried it.

I buy outdated propane tanks (old style valve) for about $5/tank and exchange them. New tanks are $32.50 (new full - exchange price = $32.50). Total cost of a new full tank is about $23. I then get them refilled at a local forklift place for $12.50 out the door. I have 11 20lb and one 30 pound tanks that way. I watched a video of a guy who put one of those heat driven fans on top of his buddy heater and he said he could feel the heat over 10 feet away.
I used to use one of those back in college. It actually worked really well, but yeah, did give you a bit of headache

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those infrared heaters are only efficient if they are pointing at you or something you want to warm up. They aren't any more efficient than any other electric heater if you wa t to heat the air in a room.
That's what I understand, and is the reason I got it. It doesn't have to get 400 degrees to heat something to 80 degrees 10 feet away. It stays basically only slightly warm but will heat the objects around it 70-80 degrees.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,733 Posts
My ‘cold weather prep’s work in the summer to keep the heat out/ac in so I dont change anything…winter coats/long johns etc go in vacuum bags in the Spring; usually unpacked in Oct…thats all I do

1 - 20 of 26 Posts