Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most folks are aware of the common MRE in a brown bag but there used to be a cold weather white bag MRE issued for chilly climates.

Are cold weather MREs still issued or have they been replaced by something else?

Anyone who has experienced a diet these types of MREs:
how does it affect you out in the woods? Any changes in your body or ability to function in the outdoors?

Thanks.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
White bag MREs are sweet Freeze dried, trail mix, oatmeal. Two bags- one breakfast, one dinner (or lunch) Loaded with calories, light Could last two days of limited exertion.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,539 Posts
I think they use the LRP as their cold weather ration now. I have seen some of the individual components on the market at a few of the MRE suppliers. But I have never seen the complete meals offered. Maybe Ebay?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MikeK,

The regular brown bag stuff pops up all over but the cold weather dried MRE is not too commonplace.

Did not know it was replaced by the LRP(dried as well?)

Have not heard much talk about this type of food so I was curious to know more about them.

Thanks.

·
68,539 Posts
MikeK,

The regular brown bag stuff pops up all over but the cold weather dried MRE is not too commonplace.

Did not know it was replaced by the LRP(dried as well?)

Have not heard much talk about this type of food so I was curious to know more about them.

Thanks.
They call it the MCW/LRP. I don't know if they are both the same meal, or if there are two types of meals being used for cold weather rations. You can probably find information on them at www.mreinfo.com. If you find a source, please list it.

I've looked in the past, and only managed to find some of the MCW/LRP components for sale. Never the complete meals. If I remember right, The Epicenter was selling them. I don't remember the URL, but you could google it easy enough.

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
The current mcw/lrp meals are based on freeze-dried mountain house type meals.They have a good wieght-calorie ratio but are prety bulky and require prep and water.

·
68,539 Posts
The current mcw/lrp meals are based on freeze-dried mountain house type meals.They have a good wieght-calorie ratio but are prety bulky and require prep and water.
These meals are pretty bulky too, but they have a lot of non dehydrated foods in them also, which probably doesn't help. All freeze dried foods are bulky though. They don't shrink during drying like dehydrated foods do.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I use them almost exclusively and I have a good stash of both types. The infantry units up here have them all winter. They have far more calories and much better tasting food. Good snacks with M&M's, granola bars and soup. Only thing is the entre needs hot water but they last a long time. They are also bigger by about 25% and $1-$3 more. I usually buy them at gun shows for $4-$5 each.

I have not sustained myself on them for any length of time but I would much rather have the Cold Weather type than regular MRE's. Curiously, they do not come with the accessory pouch that is invaluable so I save mine and throw them in the kit.

The entre is square and packs away easily in many different types of pouches and packs.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
We carry a few varieties of the LRP entrees. They are freeze-dried and are very similar to the freeze-dried Mountain House entrees. They do require water but they are very filling.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Do they have the same or similar shelf life as the MH nitro-pak meals?
Yes, they have a 5-7 year shelf life depending on storage conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Years ago in the Air Force the white, double pack "MRE" style meals were called, RCW's. That being - Rations, Cold Weather. I used to have some years ago but ate them up some time back. They were very high in calories, I do remember that! - Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts