Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching Forged In Fire on YT and would like to buy a sword. I like the price and the way the Cold Steel Wakizashi looks. And I found a deal on a used one. It has the Ray skin and 21" blade. I don't want a very long sword. Something that could be used indoors or a semi confined area.

I have an 18" Ontario Machete and a 1909 Argentine short sword I have seen called an engineers sword with around a 17" blade.

It looks like this. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017268498?pid=847283

If this isn't a good choice what would you recommend? I am not after some historical wall hanger but a weapon that can be used in a pinch that will stand up to use.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have not been impressed with Cold Steel. I bought a bolo machete and the edge curled and nicked just chopping vines off a stump.

Another point. This style of sword takes some practice to use right. If you don't want to have to learn, a machete might be a better option.

I really like the 14 inch blade Old Hickory butcher knives as a machete. Simple, inexpensive and effective.

https://amzn.to/2NLSDvf

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and feedback. I have a couple of CS fixed blade knives and they are just fine for the low price I paid for them. And I'm not looking for a machete as much as a real fighting sword. I like the Ontario machete I have now and have thought about getting the 12" sawback as a pack machete to go with the 18" Ontario I have had for years. I have chopped a lot of limbs with that big knife and its held up great. Also thanks for the other sword links. I looked at them.

I don't know why I have become fascinated with a sword. I guess those guys chopping into the ballistic dummies impressed me with how well a sword would destroy flesh and bone.

I remember hearing when the Rwandan civil war took place between the Hutus and Tutsis that most of the killing was done with the machete's they used in the field work. Maybe I should just be happy with my ever faithful Ontario Machete. And be even more thankful if I don't get in any sword fights. Looks dangerous. :xeye:

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
Not to derail, but why not get a handgun for self defense? I'm a knife guy, but I just don't understand the "sword for self defense" in our modern world. If you can't own a gun, that's a valid argument.

That being said, I'd go with a 22" Ontario for about $20-30, rather than a $350 sword. What are the chances that your attacker will be in a suit of armor also wielding a sword and shield? Point being, any longish stout blade will do the job if that's all you are allowed to defend yourself.
https://www.amazon.com/Machete-Blac...483454&sprefix=ontairo+machete,aps,167&sr=8-5

https://ontario-knife-store.com/ontario-ct5-22-machete-8294/

https://www.amazon.com/Moteng-Ontar...483519&sprefix=ontairo+machete,aps,167&sr=8-7

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Not to derail, but why not get a handgun for self defense? I'm a knife guy, but I just don't understand the "sword for self defense" in our modern world. If you can't own a gun, that's a valid argument.
I totally agree about having a gun (or 100:D:) and plenty of ammo if you're talking current-world self-defense. However, it's ironic that in some cultures a blade is respected and feared more than the AK47 hanging on their shoulder. I've had my Afghan conversations sway towards my knife (or knives) more than a few times. While the business end of the gun would get more attention, a large blade does the same. Just never bring a knife to a gun fight!

I have a few dual-purpose big blades. While I see them as tools first, they can be devastating weapons. Think Kukri. I do have some higher end short-swords (Laci Szabo Bush Sword, Rat Waki, etc.), weight is a factor, and I like the lighter weigh of a machete, but the kukri is another good option. Price for value, check out Condor Knife and Tool:

https://www.knifecenter.com/series/condor-tool-and-knife/carbon-steel-machetes

ROCK6

·
Registered
367 Posts
I like the D handle Machete if they have to be used as a weapon the handle will protect the hand and be of limited use as a punch aid. I have a short Ontario machete in my main kit.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I own around 60 firearms and almost half are handguns. I have a longer more detailed post but the stupid forum keeps saying I need at least 10 characters to post. So if and when it lets me I will have more detail.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

That being said, I'd go with a 22" Ontario for about $20-30, rather than a $350 sword. What are the chances that your attacker will be in a suit of armor also wielding a sword and shield? Point being, any longish stout blade will do the job if that's all you are allowed to defend yourself.
Just so you guys know I have around 60 firearms now and almost half of them are handguns. And I have lots of ammo. I have 23 bullet molds and around 1400 pounds of lead. About 50 pounds of smokeless powder and 25,000 primers. 30,000+ 22s and 5,500 22mag rounds. over 30 pounds of BP and 8,000+ percussion caps.

So I am armed. I just like the idea of a decent short sword. And thanks to the link posted above I once again found a short sword I had given thought to in the past but couldn't remember where I saw it. It is very close to what I had in mind all along. I gave some thought to even building one. I have access to a forge that used to belong to knife maker Jack Crain. He lived across the road from my life long bud. My bud bought the forge from Jack. This is the sword. I am on the notify me list for when it comes in.

https://www.budk.com/Forged-Warrior...aign=Back+in+Stock+Alerts&utm_content=Sign+Up

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a few dual-purpose big blades. While I see them as tools first, they can be devastating weapons. Think Kukri. I do have some higher end short-swords (Laci Szabo Bush Sword, Rat Waki, etc.), weight is a factor, and I like the lighter weigh of a machete, but the kukri is another good option. Price for value, check out Condor Knife and Tool:
Thanks ROCK6 I have looked at the Condor knives before. I really like the Parang machete. I had forgot about it but I also have a Cold Steel Kukri, an 18" and 13" willow leaf bladed machete and several Hawks and hatchets and short axe. The Cold Steel machetes I have are the bargain versions that are not fancy. But they seem to have decently hard steel. At least they took some work to make them sharp.

I think maybe my fascination with swords started when I did a lot of reading on the American/Filipino war and read how devastating the Moros were with their short swords and machete's against the American troops and before that the French troops. They did have firearms but not many.

·
covfefe
2,008 Posts
or zombies. :thumb:

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
When I was a teenager, I was obsessed with all sorts of bladed weapons, but beyond a few inexpensive daggers, I simply couldn't afford to collect them. It wasn't until well into adulthood that I rekindled that fascination, but wanted to keep things practical, meaning a variety of folding knives and a few fixed blades. Swords never reentered the picture. That being said, I do have a couple of bigger fixed blades: KABAR D2 Extreme, TOPS Air Wolfe, Boker Plus Armed Forces tanto, an old US-made Cold Steel Recon (Carbon V steel) and at least two Ontario Spec Plus models that border on short sword territory. All of these are very cool in my eyes, but I can't think of many situations where they would be ideal for real world use, especially if I'm carrying a rifle and/or handgun, among other things.

My main way of thinking is that I want something with a practical method of carry, which can be tricky with a big blade. I also need it to be suitable for something other than fighting, at least in a pinch. Swords don't really have much place for me in that regard, although a machete or similar might in some settings. About the best setup I've found so far is a Gerber LMF2 in a MOLLE sheath, mounted horizontally on a plate carrier. Any bigger would require a belt/leg sheath, but by then, it's probably just too big.

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
I have a very nice Katana, but also have shoulder injuries that make it difficult to use a two handed sword very well, and haven't trained with it much in the last few years. I've been wanting a Wakazashi, but have never got around to getting one yet.

I did pick up a CRRT Hisshou a couple years back because I was so impressed with the 13" blade, but didn't like the handle, or it having no tsuba/hilt. I had a custom micarta handle made, and it completely transformed the knife.

That said, I've also been spending more time with my spear... Thrusting is less stressful on my shoulders, and I can keep an adversary at a longer distance with it, even though it may be less useful in a melee. To be honest, I'm not looking to get in a melee any time soon...

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Instead of buying one of the blades meant more for display, even if they are well made, why not just get one of the more reasonable SS bladed swords and use it?

Ive been using one (Katana) for work, cutting line through the woods, for about 40 years. In that time, Ive bought two. Both took a beating and needed some repair or "upgrading", but the blades never broke, and always seemed to take a good edge.

I left the first one in the woods and lost it. I still have the second in my car along with my work gear, and use it occasionally, most around the house these days.

I wouldnt have any problem using one as a weapon, especially if youve had any kind of training with one. The training is probably more important than the blade in some respects. 99% of the people who have tried to use mine and cutting things, didnt have a clue as to how to use it.

You use you body, just as much as the blade. 2"-3" "green" trees (depending on type), generally aren't much of an issue with one "cut". Ive actually cut rusty barbed wire fence that was in green briars I was cutting, without even knowing.

As far as machetes go, I always found them to be more dangerous than good. We had more people hurt with them than anything else. If all you were cutting were soft, leafy stuff, you might be OK, but beyond that, they pretty much suck. Id take one of the Katanas over a machete in any and all cases.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/se...ia/1671031006200571/medium/1593620080/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/se...1/media/62908564431/medium/1190387865/enhance

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Instead of buying one of the blades meant more for display, even if they are well made, why not just get one of the more reasonable SS bladed swords and use it?
Thanks AK. I do not want a display sword. Just a short sword I could use in a pinch. I'm not sure what the pinch would be but I will know it when it gets here.

I have used my Ontario machete to cut a lot of limbs I have to cut for doing two different jobs I had. And I have practiced some swinging a sword around my head. You can add a lot of striking power with that swing.

Did you look at the link I posted above? That short solid blade is close to what I have in mind.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Thanks AK. I do not want a display sword. Just a short sword I could use in a pinch. I'm not sure what the pinch would be but I will know it when it gets here.

I have used my Ontario machete to cut a lot of limbs I have to cut for doing two different jobs I had. And I have practiced some swinging a sword around my head. You can add a lot of striking power with that swing.

Did you look at the link I posted above? That short solid blade is close to what I have in mind.
Id rather have the tsuba/guard on the blade, as they are a help and added protection.

As far as "the swing", its a lot like a punch. It comes up from the balls of your feet, not from the muscles in your arms. ;)

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Get a roman short sword (gladius), original design. The fastest strike is a stab, and the hardest to turn or defend against. Stab and cut down and out, deadly and produces instant paralysis and massive bloodloss. The wakizashi is lighter but harder to cut out of a stab. The gladius can turn a club, the other can not without structural damage to the knife. Then there are the chop strikes....a gladius has a solid spine without giving up speed or nimbleness, but its all business, a killing tool and nothing else. Nothing elegant about it, pure function when things get close and deadly. Katanas are deadly works of art but a totally different animal. I vastely prefer pure function and up close.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Gladius-Machete-Sword--26213

1 - 20 of 49 Posts