Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing research for a few weeks, i think im going to buy either a cold steel trailmaster or the recon scout...

It will be my first nice knife...I would buy second hand since it will be my first, but i live in greece, theres no knife stores locally..so via the internet is my only option here...

wheres a good place to buy with the lowest price that you guys would recommend.....i need a place that ships overseas....

also, i see the trailmaster has two options, the black carbon steel, or the Stainless steel. I want to get the black carbon, but some sites i checked out dont seem to be clear as to which they are offering....

thanks guys!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well if you want the best price I would have to say yourcornerstore. I'v orderd tons of knives from them never let me down yet.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts

also, i see the trailmaster has two options, the black carbon steel, or the Stainless steel. I want to get the black carbon, but some sites i checked out dont seem to be clear as to which they are offering....
Cold Steel site only shows one model TrailMaster, has SK-5 High Carbon.
http://www.coldsteel.com/trmashica.html
However, the video on same page mentions the stainless option also.
So, dunno what's up with that?

- OS

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Great Knives! A little pricey and material and availability varies lately. Like some one else said, CS is weird lately. It seems the SK5 (carbon steel version) is no longer made. You'll pay a premium on e-bay, which is OK. If you want it and can afford it get it. They are keepers. Don't get rid of it. The Recon Scout Sheath is nice! If it is a big blade you want, and lots of big blade chores, go for the 9" blade.

Kabar Beckers BK 7 and 9 are Great alternatives.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
When Camillus went under they had to swap steel vendors. I hear they were getting their steel from them.
Now they either offer uber pricey boutique type steel or the Krupp stainless.
There seems no middle ground.
I would look at Ebay. Lots of vendors there ship overseas. I buy from this guy with good results: He ships worldwide.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When Camillus went under they had to swap steel vendors. I hear they were getting their steel from them.
Now they either offer uber pricey boutique type steel or the Krupp stainless.
There seems no middle ground.
I would look at Ebay. Lots of vendors there ship overseas. I buy from this guy with good results: He ships worldwide.
thanks for the link. looks like a good vendor. But, theres a couple reviews of the knife on youtube, and the guys said they bought theirs for $90, instead of 137 on the ebay guy.....is it possible to find this price? Maybe they bought theirs awhile ago....

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great Knives! A little pricey and material and availability varies lately. Like some one else said, CS is weird lately. It seems the SK5 (carbon steel version) is no longer made. You'll pay a premium on e-bay, which is OK. If you want it and can afford it get it. They are keepers. Don't get rid of it. The Recon Scout Sheath is nice! If it is a big blade you want, and lots of big blade chores, go for the 9" blade.

Kabar Beckers BK 7 and 9 are Great alternatives.
thats the one thing about the trailmaster i dont like, the sheath. what are my options as far as upgrading to a better quality, like nylon....or kydex? Or maybe i would have to have one custom made? Seems odd that CS wouldnt offer a better sheath for the trailmaster.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've got a San Mai III trailamster as my primary fixed blade knife, love it! I had a carbon V model about 8 yrs ago that I foolishly traded off, hang on to yours once you get it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a San Mai III trailamster as my primary fixed blade knife, love it! I had a carbon V model about 8 yrs ago that I foolishly traded off, hang on to yours once you get it!

I still have my carbon V trailmaster. It has been the best camp knife I've ever had. I have put it through hell for years, and it has not failed me yet. Took awhile to get used to the size, but I love it.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
thats the one thing about the trailmaster i dont like, the sheath. what are my options as far as upgrading to a better quality, like nylon....or kydex? Or maybe i would have to have one custom made? Seems odd that CS wouldnt offer a better sheath for the trailmaster.
Here's a custom kydex sheath maker.
http://www.buybrownholsters.com/knife_sheaths_specialty_products.htm
Check out the knife or blade forums, and google for makers.

Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop has custom sheaths. That is where I would start. Tom has a great reputation. He will do what can to help you.
http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.c...th=55&osCsid=f2827124cf4c7a8175e5d97bd4f8fc15

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Looks like the Trailmaster I wanted is discontinued. They stopped making the sk5 with the black coating I'm guessing.

Either stainless (whoopie) or non coated sk5...and the cheapest I've seen are $150.

Suddenly A Becker bk-9 or Kbar heavy bowie are looking good...

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
I own the cold steel recon scout. You definately want to go high carbon and not stainless because high carbon holds an edge better and is easier to sharpen.

I myself own the recon scout. It's a big knife. The trailmaster is even bigger. It's havier but you'll also get more capability so that's personal choice.

Maybe these videos are of good use to you:

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I own 5 Cold Steel knives. I always tell myself I'm not going to support them because they went "Chinese" on us but I end up buying another one anyway because of their great quality. Here's the latest acquisition (purchased last weekend):

The Cold Steel Spartan

Reactions: Wolfe

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when you say they went chinese...do you mean they are made in china? or part of them like the handle? or they get the metal from china?

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
when you say they went chinese...do you mean they are made in china? or part of them like the handle? or they get the metal from china?
They set up shop in China and Taiwan but I believe some of their knives are still made in the USA. I believe the bulk of their products are made in Asia. However, their quality has remained high. The price will tell you if it was made here or there.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just ordered a recon scout last night. I got it from the ebay dealer brother buck recommened......it was his last one too.

it came to 142 shipped...but thanks to the exchange rate..since we use the euro here in greece...it came out too 100 euros shipped....woot!

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
why are the cold steel machetes so cheap??? 12 bucks?
Well they are not very expensive, think around 20 dollar. 12 is kinda cheap, is it 2nd hand? Well it's not impossible but be aware because there is CS knockoff out there. However I don't see why anybody would want to make a knockoff of a 20 dollar machete.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts