Survivalist Forum banner

Cold Steel Trail Master Bowie vs Recon Scout

13K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Gaston444 
#1 ·
I really like my Cold Steel Trail Master Carbon V Bowie. But it is a little too large. I noticed that the Cold Steel Recon Scout is essentially a Small Trail Master. The handle is the same length, and the blade is the same thickness, but the blade is shorter. I overlaid a Recon on a Trail Master and it looks like this.

Would it be practical to grind down the Trail Master to make a Recon Scout, or would it be more practical to sell the Trail Master and buy a Recon Scout? One advantage is that I would be able to shape the blade the way I want. I would effectively have a Carbon V Recon Scout with a slight change in the shape of the blade.

See less See more
#6 ·
I might be able to sell the Carbon V Trail Master for enough to buy a San Mai Recon Scout. If I did decide to grind down the Trail Master, how would I chance ruining it? AFAIK, it isn’t edge tempered, so if I never got it hot during the grinding, wouldn’t it retain its strength and temper?

#8 ·
Can you temper the knife when your done with the material removal--if not, then don't bother as you'll just ruin the blade.

Trade for a new one, sell the Trail Master and buy one or better still buy a Fallkniven or an ESEE or any of a number of better designed and constructed and not overpriced knives...maybe you'll even buy "Made in the USA" this time.

#9 ·
I am having a hard time finding the exact knife I have in mind. I saw a SOG knife at the gun show, but haven’t been able to find that model again. It would be similar to this Blackjack HALO Attack knife but with a full guard.

I was thinking of making a knife from the Trail Master that was half inch longer than the Recon Scout. Take the basic design but flatten out the belly a little. Take the false edge back further and make it a little bit wider.

I am curious as to why I would “ruin the blade” simply by taking material off. Can you explain?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.