Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
aka Mental Avenger
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my Cold Steel Trail Master Carbon V Bowie. But it is a little too large. I noticed that the Cold Steel Recon Scout is essentially a Small Trail Master. The handle is the same length, and the blade is the same thickness, but the blade is shorter. I overlaid a Recon on a Trail Master and it looks like this.

Would it be practical to grind down the Trail Master to make a Recon Scout, or would it be more practical to sell the Trail Master and buy a Recon Scout? One advantage is that I would be able to shape the blade the way I want. I would effectively have a Carbon V Recon Scout with a slight change in the shape of the blade.

·
aka Mental Avenger
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would sale and buy the Scout, probably have some money left over and not chance ruining the Trail Master
I might be able to sell the Carbon V Trail Master for enough to buy a San Mai Recon Scout. If I did decide to grind down the Trail Master, how would I chance ruining it? AFAIK, it isn’t edge tempered, so if I never got it hot during the grinding, wouldn’t it retain its strength and temper?

·
Biologist
1,403 Posts
I might be able to sell the Carbon V Trail Master for enough to buy a San Mai Recon Scout. If I did decide to grind down the Trail Master, how would I chance ruining it? AFAIK, it isn’t edge tempered, so if I never got it hot during the grinding, wouldn’t it retain its strength and temper?
I would get the Carbon V Recon Scout, the carbon v is both cheaper and more dependable I think. San Mai Steel's can chip, High Carbons wont.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Can you temper the knife when your done with the material removal--if not, then don't bother as you'll just ruin the blade.

Trade for a new one, sell the Trail Master and buy one or better still buy a Fallkniven or an ESEE or any of a number of better designed and constructed and not overpriced knives...maybe you'll even buy "Made in the USA" this time.

·
aka Mental Avenger
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you temper the knife when your done with the material removal--if not, then don't bother as you'll just ruin the blade.

Trade for a new one, sell the Trail Master and buy one or better still buy a Fallkniven or an ESEE or any of a number of better designed and constructed and not overpriced knives...maybe you'll even buy "Made in the USA" this time.
I am having a hard time finding the exact knife I have in mind. I saw a SOG knife at the gun show, but haven’t been able to find that model again. It would be similar to this Blackjack HALO Attack knife but with a full guard.

I was thinking of making a knife from the Trail Master that was half inch longer than the Recon Scout. Take the basic design but flatten out the belly a little. Take the false edge back further and make it a little bit wider.

I am curious as to why I would “ruin the blade” simply by taking material off. Can you explain?

·
Biologist
1,403 Posts
I am having a hard time finding the exact knife I have in mind. I saw a SOG knife at the gun show, but haven’t been able to find that model again. It would be similar to this Blackjack HALO Attack knife but with a full guard.

I was thinking of making a knife from the Trail Master that was half inch longer than the Recon Scout. Take the basic design but flatten out the belly a little. Take the false edge back further and make it a little bit wider.

I am curious as to why I would “ruin the blade” simply by taking material off. Can you explain?
Was it any of these knives?

http://sogknives.com/store/TE-02.html
http://sogknives.com/store/CD-01.html
http://sogknives.com/store/AG-01.html
http://sogknives.com/store/S10P.html
http://sogknives.com/store/S2B.html

·
aka Mental Avenger
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just ordered a Cold Steel Oda from ebay for $44.95 total. It is the Krupp 4116 model, new in the box. It was hard to find information on the 4116, but it appears that it is finer grain than 420c and will take a finer edge.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Quote: AFAIK, it isn’t edge tempered

What does that even mean? All knives are heat treated then tempered all the way through. If you don't know that, you don't know enough to do this work.

An 8" "recon scout" already exists: It is the Fallkniven Odin. 7 and 7/8" to be exact.

As to San Mai being overpriced, if you compared the performance of all Japanese made steels they are worth the price: I'd pay a large premium even for Aus-8 made in Japan compared to Aus-8 stamped made in Taiwan. Japanese and Seki City is worth whatever is asked for it. And none of it is that CPM crap thank God...

Yes the CS Carbon stuff is cheaper, but in no way comparable. And by all means stay away from CPM3V (or all CPMs)...

Gaston

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.