Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about the cold steel srk.Im thinking about buying it and i want to know if it is a good choice or not and if it can take some abuse.And also if it can keep and edge and just for an over all survival knife.(not saying im going to abuse it)so please help me!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Its kinda a spartan knife,but there lies its beauty.Very good steel,has a thick blade,with a good grind,simple krayton handle. A lot of guys swear its the best of size and weight.I have one,would buy another if I needed it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The older ones that were made before Camillus went under were made of "Carbon V" which was good carbon steel that Camillus made under contract for Cold Steel. The new ones are AUS 8 I believe. I'm not sure where the new ones are made but the old ones were made in the US. I know several people who have them and they seem to hold up well.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Very simple, well made knives. My brother has one that's cleaned an unknown number of deer. I prefer more traditional styles but you can't go wrong with this knife.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the older american made one. I don't know how the newer ones compare.

I have always liked this knife. A bit large,but that was the point at the time.sharp and heavy duty.

What's not to like???

·
Be Prepared
393 Posts
I purchased one of them in 1993. It's an original with the Carbon V blade. Hands down the best knife I have ever used. Combined with a Leatherman tool and you have an unbeatable combo. I carried it through countless deployments from JRTC to NTC as well as you average field exercises while in the Army. I have used it on hundreds of hunting, fishing and camping trips as well. It has never let me down or failed to hold a good edge.

All that being said, I have not heard good things about the newer ones. See if you can get one of the Carbon V ones.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
A great knife, especially the carbon v ones, but a tad heavy for backpacking.

But I suppose if I was going up against the Spetsnaz...
but even then I might prefer a Mora and a few extra rounds of .45.....that way I could run faster after I ran out of bullets.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It seems as though no one knows how the new ones hold up, which makes me a bit hesitant. For $30 more you could get an ESEE Laser Strike. With that comes the if you break it or chip it we replace it warranty.

EDIT:
I just found a knife test. I'm not sure if NOSS is making new videos or someone is just running a site with his old videos.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/07/22/knifetests-com-cold-steel-srk-destruction-test/

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts
It seems as though no one knows how the new ones hold up, which makes me a bit hesitant. For $30 more you could get an ESEE Laser Strike. With that comes the if you break it or chip it we replace it warranty.

EDIT:
I just found a knife test. I'm not sure if NOSS is making new videos or someone is just running a site with his old videos.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/07/22/knifetests-com-cold-steel-srk-destruction-test/
Mine IS one of the newer ones made in Japan I believe. The only thing I have noticed is that it doesn't hold an edge as well as many of my other knives but it responds well to one of those quick sharpener deals where you just run the knife through the two angled carbide sharpeners. It's a solid knife. Get it

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I own the SRK in both the AUS 8 and the San Mai III steel. I have used the AUS 8 on a couple deer. I hope to the San Mai on an elk this December. I have no complaints about either blade. Some people say only buy the Carbon V version but I am not of that opinion. The blades hold up really with regards to edge retention and are not difficult to resharpen.

I have a Spartan sheath for the AUS 8 and Combat Master Utility sheath for the San Mai. I carry a Leatherman Wave in the pouch on the sheath.

If I ever come across the Carbon V version in decent condition I will buy it so long as it is not cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had one many years ago. I prefer high flat grinds, and this one is about two-thirds grind, I think. I seem to like the RAT/Esee a bit more as a result.
I do recommend them though. Tough knife.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My SRK is one of the few knives I would consider grabbing if the SHTF for real and I had limited time. They are built like a tank, hold a decent edge, and have a blade/tip design that is about as versatile as anything out there.

And you asked if they can take abuse.....mine takes a lot of abuse and is still going strong.

In short - I love mine.

Regards,

Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts