Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
It was my first "high Quality knife"

I swear by them! Good basic sheath knife with a good profile, comfortable grip and it keeps a great edge. Strong too. I tell most people looking for a first sheath knife to go for the SRK.
try cutting some bicycle innertube into 2" wide loops and slide them onto the sheath. you can strap all kinds of things to them. Mine holds a Swedish Firesteel. The other SRK has a small Mora.

The SRK was my first "high quality" blade. I got it for christmas on my 16th birthday(I think) and it came with a Cold Steel Master Hunter factory second. (thats a nice knife too!) I had a winter camping trip a week later and took it with me. I used it building shelters, making figure 4 traps, cutting meat for the stew pot, digging cattail roots (Made a digging stick with it) carved out a coal burned spoon, made fuzz sticks, split kindling with it using a baton...and a multitude of other things. I never had to sharpen it that whole trip.. Great knife, get one!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
i bought one was new one was garbage i took it back and got a sog gov tac instead much happier was a cheap made in japan one was dull as a club hard to sharpen wasnt worth the money..

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Yes it’s the new version. Only time and use will tell. I got it yesterday, so far I’ve only cut some nylon straps and 550 cords, and it zipped right through it just like advertised. The edge could use some help, it’s not razor sharp but it would do if it’s all I had. I wish I still had the carbon model so I could to a side by side comparison but it feels very nice and is easily controlled. I ended up paying $90 for mine, I bought a ka-bar first and then traded that + $30 for this. I bought it from a local small knife store so I feel good about the purchase. So far I am very happy with it; it’s the perfect size for me, exactly what I’ve been looking for. I will however take it to my machienist to get a new edge, no bigy though. So far i'm happy, still to eirly but based on first impression i'd say get it.

In the very near future I’m purchasing the cheaper kukri from CS for my chopping needs.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
how does the new compair to the old?
i bought one that was made in japan ended up takeing it back because i didnt like it was dull pain to sharpen used a carben v version befor and liked it alot but it was my friends knife..

ended up with a sog gov tac thats a knife i like..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts