Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,571 Posts
Of the two I'd go for the Recon Scout. However, my latest Cold Steel catalog has the Oda on close out for $29.99. I have two of these and they are great. It is very similar to the Randal R-1, with a Kraton handle. It is the stainless steel version. Several knife outfits have it listed from the $29.99 up if you can't get it direct from Cold Steel.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of the two I'd go for the Recon Scout. However, my latest Cold Steel catalog has the Oda on close out for $29.99. I have two of these and they are great. It is very similar to the Randal R-1, with a Kraton handle. It is the stainless steel version. Several knife outfits have it listed from the $29.99 up if you can't get it direct from Cold Steel.
Yeah, I was actually looking into the ODA. I saw it on gpknives and for 30 bucks it seems worth it. I've never had a problem with Cold Steel knives so looks like a good bargain.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
When putting forward a question like this it would be great if pics were posted so that we dont have to trawl through the internet to see what these knives look like.
If you base a review or your opinion on the knives based on a picture, you need to reconsider that you have ZERO actual experience with either knife. Personally I would take the Recon. I dont have any true performance tests on this knife personally, BUT there are hundreds if not thousands of people that do. Judging from their experience in the wild, the Recon is a better choice. With that said if your skilled enough a sharp penknife is enough...........

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have used the SRK for years, it is my first choice when heading off to the woods. The Recon Scout has a double guard which for me makes it a terrible choice when using it for bush craft. the upper guard gets in the way when choking up on the blade for fine work. I too prefer a flat grind for some things but a hollow grind is better for brute work. Less chance of spalling off a hunk of blade when you hit a knot when batonning or chopping.

I own two and plan to buy a third and have it ground convex at some point..want to try that grind out...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the pics u show say the recon is carbon ? and the srk is stainless I own the SRK carbon and love it id still opt for the srk as its shorter and for me more useable
Yeah, Cold Steel still makes the Recon Scout in Carbon which is nice. I normally prefer a good Carbon steel blade. AUS 8A isn't a half bad steel either though. The newer SRK uses AUS 8A.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Recon scout would be the winner, hands down. The recon scout has a thicker spine, better grind (full flat is almost always best for a survival knife), better tip (more linear), better blade shape, it is longer (7" vs 6"), and most importantly, made of better steel. sk-5 is basically 1080 steel which is just a little softer (tougher) than 1095.
While were on this topic, I have to say, Cold Steel changed a few years ago and now they suck! None of their knives are made in the US anymore, 90% of them were switched to stainless steel (aus 8 is pretty crappy) and their customer support/warranty went down hill. IMO, The recon scout, Trail master, and gi tanto are really the only good knives cold steel makes any more.

·
Registered
304 Posts
my latest Cold Steel catalog has the Oda on close out for $29.99. I have two of these and they are great. It is very similar to the Randal R-1, with a Kraton handle. It is the stainless steel version. Several knife outfits have it listed from the $29.99 up if you can't get it direct from Cold Steel.
Can you tell little bit more why you have found Cold Steel ODA so superior and what kind of use you mostly have for it. I have never handled any, but for me it looks more like a fighting knife with false sharpening on spine which makes batoning difficult. Edge also starts very far from the handle where best position for whittling and cutting is not sharpened at all. How about stainless steel have you found that good? Most of the people here (including me) prefer carbon steel for outdoor blades. The price is very tempting now though.

·
Super Moderator
12,571 Posts
FinnMan:

I don't really think I implied that the Oda was vastly superior to the other knives, expecially for everyone. I still say it is a great knife. But so are the other ones mentioned.

It's a matter of personal preference. I like the blade shape as I consider it a good balance between fighting and utility for general use around camp in a dangerous area. It has just enough belly (barely) to skin animals, it is a good fighting knife, as you pointed out, but the blade is thick enough to handle moderate abuse. Despite the taper of the blade, batoning is still practical. I've done light duty batoning with no problems.

As for the stainless steel, I wanted the carbon steel ones, but they had dropped them and gone to stainless. Just my luck. But because it is stainless doens't make it a bad knife, just not quite as appealing as a carbon steel one. If I had my druthers, it would be damascus, but I have a tight budget.

I prefer a single sided cross guard for fine use, and a sharped blade all the way to the hilt is nice. But these two features were secondary to the primary ones, which is why I chose the knife, since I carry both a SAK and Leatherman when in the field.

·
Registered
304 Posts
And for the original question I prefer Recon Scout for survival / bushcraft use.

Why?

1) I like big blades and good chopping ability is quite important in many camp chores. Big blade can do small tasks, but small cannot handle big ones.
2) Carbon steel is easy to sharpen and edge retention is often better than softer stainless steels.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.