Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me is the SRK being available in CPM 3V steel. I am quite interested in putting this one on the top of my knife list.
I currently have their Master Hunter in 3V and like it a lot. Its only been used to butcher five shee fish for the freezer. It remained sharp the whole time. Yup, five fish is not much of a test, but I can wait til fall time to hunt caribou to see how it does. No, I will not be batoning any chunks of wood with it. Its my hunting knife.
Anyhow, who has an SRK in 3V?
Any info you might want want to share?
I didn't find any YouTube vids on it.
Knife Center shows it at $149.
Thanks for reading.
(Goblin, please go easy on me. I know you're disenchanted with Cold Steel. ;-)

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
only one I have Left is a Oyabun in Carbon V. If it is their older stuff, should be great. all the ones i had were. BUT after my last headbutting contest with CS i told them i would rather us a broken beer bottle neck than ever give em another penny.

all over a malfunctioning triad lock on a spartan. to bad. loved that size and design.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the Spartan folder, thats whst it was. They should have treated you better.

This would be a new version, using CPM 3V steel. I am looking for info on this steel and how it relates to the SRK. I know next to nothing on it.
Their Leatherneck SF in D2 is interesting to me as well.
I don't have a 6"-7" bladed knife yet.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Don't like Kraton guards, but the SRK is the one most common combat knife carried by the Army and even Navy Seals... It's like they are standard issue... Not other fixed blade comes close, except the CS Recon tanto... I don't think you see as many Kabars these days on a servicemen's belt...

Gaston

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't like Kraton guards, but the SRK is the one most common combat knife carried by the Army and even Navy Seals... It's like they are standard issue... Not other fixed blade comes close, except the CS Recon tanto... I don't think you see as many Kabars these days on a servicemen's belt...

Gaston
Interesting. I wasn' t aware of this. I've seen YouTube vids on the older SRK knives, but none on 3V steel.
Even the Leatherneck SF in D2 is lacking vids.
It must be attributed to CS's new use of 3V
in the SRK, and D2 in the Leatherneck.

·
Registered
795 Posts
They are common, but still private purchase items, bought on military base stores: These stores are called BX (Base Exchange) on US Air Force bases and PX (Post Exchange) on US Army bases: It's a safe bet Cold Steel Recon Tantos, SRKs and maybe even Trailmasters(!) are commonly present inside these stores. So not quite "issue", but more or less "encouraged"...

In the 70-80s, common PX knives were the Gerber Mark II, and later in the 80s the Gerber Guardian daggers. Despite the narrow blades, the Guardians were actually zero-edged and not bad in sharpness... Whether you saw them worn depended on commanders, but the Cold Steel SRK seems widely accepted.

Gaston

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,464 Posts
New to me is the SRK being available in CPM 3V steel. I am quite interested in putting this one on the top of my knife list.
I currently have their Master Hunter in 3V and like it a lot. Its only been used to butcher five shee fish for the freezer. It remained sharp the whole time. Yup, five fish is not much of a test, but I can wait til fall time to hunt caribou to see how it does. No, I will not be batoning any chunks of wood with it. Its my hunting knife.
Anyhow, who has an SRK in 3V?
Any info you might want want to share?
I didn't find any YouTube vids on it.
Knife Center shows it at $149.
Thanks for reading.
(Goblin, please go easy on me. I know you're disenchanted with Cold Steel. ;-)
Amazon.com : Cold Steel Gi Tanto Knife With Sheath : Sports & Outdoors

I started buying these when they were $20. A wonderful knife.

Lots of great knives in the $35 price range.

You could buy 4-5 of these and literally never run out of knives in your lifetime. Store them everywhere - different designs too. 3V is probably marginally superior, if at all. You could stash them away. Break one every decade and still have knives to last you 4 decades.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
I useta buy the roach bellies from cold steel, bout the same price as a mora, 21$ good lil 4.5 inch blade, shame i had to get rid of em. they might be one or 2 left buried somewhere, only thing i didnt care for was the tiny cast handle.....

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the lower cost suggestions. I do appreciate it.
I'm only interested in Cold Steel knives though.

I had an unfortunate incident happen to my Master Hunter 3V. It got tossed out to the trash by accident. My wife used it to butcher (fillet?) 7 seven shee fish and during clean up the knife disappeared.
We dumpster dived but didn' t find ut.
My best guess is it sliced its way out if the bag on the way to the local dumster and some lucky fool picked it up. Never found it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have an srk that i bought at a px in baghdad back in 03. Not sure which steel it is but the powdercoating has come off of most of it and it still hasnt formed any rust. It is a dark oxidized color though. Great knofe for big stuff that ive abused but not really hurt at all.

Its just slightly big and thick for most of what i want though.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My wife found the missing Master Hunter knife! Exciting, happy, thankful. Praised our Lord, even.
Turns out my wife was using 2-gallon sized ZipLock freezer bags for the fish she cut up, and somehow the knife got shoved into the ZipLock box. She discovered it when she yanked a few ZipLock bags out of the box while cutting up caribou for the freezer.
I looked into that box last week but never saw it. I even pulled several bags out shortly before, too. I never saw the knife. I'm very glad it is found. It was tucked under all them bags, hidden.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.