Survivalist Forum banner

Cold Steel Recon Scout-Big Blade Believer

5277 8
Before reading Six Ways In & Twelve Ways Out, and before some real-world application, I was all about my SOG SEAL Pup. I was sure it was all I needed for camping/survival.

After reading about George Jasper's outlook on blades, as well as practicing skills outlined in the manual such as shelter building, I started to understand the benefit of larger steel. Jasper wrote that he loves the Cold Steel Trailmaster, and that the Cold Steel Recon Scout was also decent. The Trailmaster looked way too big for what I wanted, and I wasn't impressed with the sheath it came with. The Recon Scout however seemed to fit the bill, and before I knew it I was a big blade believer.

I did some mods to it, such as adding a pouch and paracord, but still wasn't satisfied. I really didn't like the guard on the handle, and found it was getting in the way of choking up on the blade. The finger groove was too small too. To remedy my woes, I performed surgery using a hacksaw and a belt sander. The results were most pleasing, and while I still dig my SOG SEAL Pup, my Recon Scout is now my primary blade.

Here's a video of my Recon and the mods I did:

Six Ways In & Twelve Ways Out is also featured in this video. It's a great manual and worth adding to one's library.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,581 Posts
Preaching to the choir. :thumb:
If the handle was like a Becker and had removable scales. :rolleyes: :D:
It is my favorite blade. I need to do something like what you did to the handle.
Great Video for a great knife! :thumb:
The price has jumped lately. Must be all the positive reviews. :mad:
I like a lanyard. I always use one when chopping. I can back off the handle for more leverage and there is always the possible slippage, ouch.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=43922&highlight=cold+steel+recon+scout

· Banned
3,755 Posts
Simple answer is to carry lots of tools to do the job that needs to be done.. axe for choping... saw for cuting trees knife for smaller tasks.. ect..
Yeah we're all gonna carry a lot of tools, an axe for choppign, a saw for cutting, a smaller knife for carving and a bigger knife for shelter building. Not to forget the MBR and the backup pistol, as well as the shotgun and the .22 rifle and the ammo for each of them. Oh and I'll also take a truckload of firemaking stuff and ropes and my tent and sleeping bag. Seriously.

Good job on the knife. I happen to own the same thing and I find it funny and interesting to see what you did to it. Grinding of that piece of metal wouldn't be my idea, because that might limit the stabbing capability of it. For carving I'd use the smaller knife. I think I'm going to decorate the sheath of my CS in the same way as you did, that was really clever.

One note. The CS RS is made of SK5, that's great steel because it holds an edge and it's easy to sharpen, however, it is not stainless and it can rust fairly easy, that's the downside of it. So be very careful with that water in the sheath, that's hard to clean out. Furthermore, the sheath is not for storing the knife, because then you can trap water with the blade and it might rust. I store my RS in a piece of cloth that I sprayed a good amount of gun oil on. That will keep water away.

Good video, nice review. Very interesting to watch. :thumb:

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One note. The CS RS is made of SK5, that's great steel because it holds an edge and it's easy to sharpen, however, it is not stainless and it can rust fairly easy, that's the downside of it. So be very careful with that water in the sheath, that's hard to clean out. Furthermore, the sheath is not for storing the knife, because then you can trap water with the blade and it might rust. I store my RS in a piece of cloth that I sprayed a good amount of gun oil on. That will keep water away.
Funny you should mention that. There was rust on the blade after making this video because of the rain.

· Registered
7,220 Posts
The price has jumped lately. Must be all the positive reviews. :mad:
They stopped making the affordable scouts that were just boring old carbon steel like everyone has been using forever and started using only the more exotic San Mai or something.
CS is weird now.
I love their stuff but your choice now is cheap "Krupp steel"(whatever that is) blades from Taiwan or uber expensive metals from outer space that are priced accordingly.
There is no longer a middle ground.

I have an older Trailmaster, love it. I also have a Natchez Bowie.
The Trailmaster is the go to being the natchez is more a sh**s and giggles type thing.
The upper part of that guard is for fighting.
More glamor for the masses that useful.
Good job on the mods.

· Banned
3,755 Posts
Funny you should mention that. There was rust on the blade after making this video because of the rain.
On the sharpened shiny edge I presume? You should be able to get rid of that after a wee bit of sharpening. Maybe you can dry the sheath using a hair-drier and then spray some gun oil in it, to repeal water.

That's the downside of SK5 steel. It's kinda like AR15's, they will perform very well but you need to pet and pamper it a little bit. Mine had very small rust stains on the edge (not where the black coating is, but where it's sharpened) when I bought it. Nothing serious that can't be fixed with just a little sharpening though. I could tell it had been in the store for some while because of that. They were charging the jackpot for it, so I negociated a reasonable deal with the store owner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.