Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first Kukri from Cold Steel.Just the right size to keep in a backpack.Got a question? What's the best way to put an edge on it ? I've never bought a machete without some kind of edge on it. Any ideas would be a big help. Hopefully my SOG Field Pup will be here soon. I love getting new things in the mail!

·
"Don't look in the box"
655 Posts
I just got my first Kukri from Cold Steel.Just the right size to keep in a backpack.Got a question? What's the best way to put an edge on it ? I've never bought a machete without some kind of edge on it. Any ideas would be a big help. Hopefully my SOG Field Pup will be here soon. I love getting new things in the mail!

Do you have Pics?????

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Get rid of it. These things are pretty useless for field work. Their only purpose from my personal experience is as a last resort weapon.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Did you get the khukri machete or the more expensive San-mai style khukri? The Machete is a workhorse...good for splitting wood, substituting for a small hatchet in most situations and as a last-ditch close combat weapon. The San-mai can do the same things better, but they're too expensive for me to feel good about using it for that!

As for putting an edge on it, it can be a pain if you've got the machete. You don't want a razor edge on it, because it'll be used for hard work and the metal isn't ideal for sharp edge retention anyway, being built for toughness.

I'd recommend a setup similar to what I have for knife sharpening. I have a cheap belt sander that uses the 1x30" belts, that I remove the platen from. I turn the sander on and press the edge of the knife into a 480 grit belt, making a smooth pass from front to back then dunking the knife in water to cool the edge. I repeat this until the entire edge of the knife is shaped like a gothic arch, which is one of the stronger edges for tools. If I was trying to sharpen it further, I'd go to 600, then 1000, then 1200 grit belts, and if I was trying to shave with it I would get out the 1x30" leather strop with polishing compound, then my 1x30" leather strop without polishing compound, working the same way, smooth pass from front to back then dunk to keep it from overheating.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I love my CS kukri. I use it all the time for yard work and even for camping trips. I never had any issues with it being a POS. I use it for clearing a small path through thick vegetation in the woods sometime. Yes the edge does roll a little. It made to do that so that it doesn't chip off. Most machetes do the same thing for ease of sharpening on the go. My tramotina machete do it too. The factory edge sucks so you to put on your own edge. I would suggest you use a small file or a diamond sharpener to get down to the more tempered steel. Then you will see the difference try not to make the edge to thin or you will be sharpening it all the time. The front of the blade or hump is where you are going to do most of the chopping is where you want to keep the edge thicker.
I sharpen all machetes with either a file or strop it on emery paper on your thigh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get rid of it. These things are pretty useless for field work. Their only purpose from my personal experience is as a last resort weapon.
The Kukri is one of the handiest machette type tools I have ever used. Great around the yard and in the field. Goes thru 1" tree limbs and sapplings like butter. The trick is holding and striking at an angle. The edge on mine has held up well and I would hate to take a file to it. There has to be a better way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I find my Cold Steel Kukri (not the fancy one) is very well balanced, has good weight and does what I ask of it with no problems yet.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Kukri is one of the handiest machette type tools I have ever used. Great around the yard and in the field. Goes thru 1" tree limbs and sapplings like butter. The trick is holding and striking at an angle. The edge on mine has held up well and I would hate to take a file to it. There has to be a better way.
Your mileage may vary, but I didn't like the feel of the grip at all. I felt I had to modify it in some way to get it to serve my needs. I felt a regular machete would have suited me better than just something for cutting small branches only.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did wrap the handle up with black athletic tape. The thing I forgot to mention is that the sheath really sucks. I wish CS would put some effort in putting out a better sheath for them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just got one wrapped the handle with paracord & sharpened mine with a Lansky Quick Fix I had laying around doing nothing, it worked great !!
http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LCSTC.php I'll probably refine the edge sooner or later since I have to have all my cutting things beyond sharp, but the edge I got was quite sharp for a machete. It made quick work of a 7 inch cherry log out back of my house

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
After seeing the extrema ratio kukris I doubt I could do cs. Expensive though, not anything I'd fancy losing.

·
Keeping my Oath.
337 Posts
Ka-Bar

Ka-Bar Makes a 11 1/2 inch Kukri that is absolutely phenomenal. I bought mine for about 50 bucks, and ive used it for everything from getting through sagebrush to killing carp. I can get through a pine 2 X 4 in about 6 strokes if im really trying. ive even split a few logs with it. Comes with an incredibly sharp and inexplicably tough edge, and its sturdy as you wouldnt believe. Comes with a pretty decent sheath as well. I dont know much about Cold Steel stuff, but i cant imagine it would be that great if it doesent even come with an edge on it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
OGK make up your mind--1st get rid of --yet 4 post later handiest ever---maybe you work in mall with Dwind WAS IN TEXAS--&gave contact -yet no word--cold steel makes a good blade--carried C/S on all deployments since 1980's--used most to cut mre's open

·
Registered
473 Posts
OGK make up your mind--1st get rid of --yet 4 post later handiest ever---maybe you work in mall with Dwind WAS IN TEXAS--&gave contact -yet no word--cold steel makes a good blade--carried C/S on all deployments since 1980's--used most to cut mre's open
Sorry bud, you're talking about someone else. Also, please lay off the douchebag mallninja comments. You don't know me.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've got the cheap south african cs kukri machete and it's great for brambles and blackberry canes. I've also got the cs gurhka kukri with the kydex sheath. It's great for chopping and splitting anything 5" thick or less but you won't want to swing it all day as it's got some weight to it. I sold my nepal made kukri after getting the gurhka model.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For use as a Khukuri buy a real Khukuri. Buy a Himalayan Imports Khuk. Real, Nepali-made Khuk. CS wants WAY too much money for what you get if you pay for the San Mai Khuk.
www.himalayan-imports.com

Granted, the CS Khuk is a very good machete, but that's it. It's a poor excuse for a Khuk. Check out the pics over on bladeforums dot com. Click on the Himalayan Imports link under Manufacturers Forums. You'll find what a Khukuri is supposed to be. The HI products are not cheap display knives. They are not the newest tactical, ninja/nazi/rambo style stainless steel junk. They are real working Khuks that will last you forever. They are guaranteed forever. The Chiruwa Ang Khola Khukuri is even guaranteed for use as a prybar. Try that with CS, Ka-Bar, Windlass Steelcrafts, or Khukuri House knives.

$125.00 to $195.00 will buy you the best Khukuri available. Almost indestructible.
Spine thicknesses of 3/8" to 1/2". Edge geometry correct for heavy chopping. You can get a Tamang knife from them if you want something around 1/4" thickness, for lighter chopping than a Khuk but heavier than a CS or Ka-Bar kukri. They have a full range of knife and sword designs, all made for real world cutting/chopping/working.

See what their customers have to say about them. I personally exchanged many emails and had several phone conversations with Yangdu(the owner) and her sweetness, prompt replies, patience with me, and attention to and care for the customer's needs is better than anything you'll find with any of the big companies.
You owe it to yourself to get an HI Khuk.
I have an 18" Bonecutter ordered. It's being custom made for me with Dhar wood handle and left handed scabbard. When it arrives, I'll post pics and review of it here and at bladeforums.
The HI Khukuris also come with the Karda and Chakma, which are a smaller general use knife, and a sharpening steel(respectively) that fit into the same buffalo hide sheath with the Khuk.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Looks like a lot of people are having problems with the CS kukri machete handle. I wear gloves in the woods, especially when cutting through brambles, and have found that the aggressive texture helps with retention. Maybe add a wrist loop if you're going to be swinging really long and hard.

You might want to try a good quality bastard file for sharpening. The coarse teeth leave something like "micro-serrations", or whatever you want to call it, which seem to help bite into the wood or plant better than a polished edge. Rough, but very efficient, just like the machete.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts