Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a shame to see a quality line of knives like cold steel go down the drain. I was just at their website and most of their knives are made out of stainless - instead of the quality USA CarbonV.

The tactical field knives have 6 to that group - only 2 are made of carbon steel.

Every knife in the hunting and outdoors product line are now made from stainless. Old time favorites like the trail master and master hunter have been replaced with stainless.

AT least there is still a single category for carbon steel blades, called the combat classics - http://www.coldsteel.com/combclas.html

I was worried that one day this time would come, and here it is. Cold steel has sold out to cheap foreign steel and foreign labor.

This nation is going to get to a point where you can not even buy a "Made in the USA" knife.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I picked up two ODAs from wideners for about $28 a piece,thought it may have been a typo. They showed up,looked just like my original ODA. Looked the other day,cuz I read this post.Sure enough...CHINA. The scary thing is,it looks good,and I think they use the same steel as in their originals.The grind and profile is very good,and they hold an edge.If they came duplicate the original quality of ColdSteel,the can duplicate anything.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I picked up two ODAs from wideners for about $28 a piece,thought it may have been a typo. They showed up,looked just like my original ODA. Looked the other day,cuz I read this post.Sure enough...CHINA. The scary thing is,it looks good,and I think they use the same steel as in their originals.The grind and profile is very good,and they hold an edge.If they came duplicate the original quality of ColdSteel,the can duplicate anything.
And just where are the pictures at??

Instead of hijacking this thread, start another and post some pictures - please!!

:cool:

Reactions: NUFIN

·
Arch Support
43 Posts
Cold steel is garbage. Look how they insulted Strider Knives.
You're picking sides?

Strider/Burger was caught lying about his service with Uncle Sam. That's a serious personality fault. Cold Steel knives certainly are not junk.

Though i wish I owned one of those $2700 Strider Hamon blades.

"Choose the form of the destroyer."
-Gozer

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Yeah, I love my old USA made, Carbon V SRK. It's been a great knife. I bought it with my first paycheck from my first job, at 16 years old. It's a shame there aren't any US made SRK's, or any other CS's made anymore...

·
Improvise⇒Adapt⇒Overcome
237 Posts
They really had better find another source for high-quality steel, and soon. It would be a real shame if they just kept using average materials for their blades. Their reputation will plummet.

- Phil

·
Registered
972 Posts
Cold steel had some cool stuff, and i know the recon scout was a top seller and favorte amongst many knife enthusiasts, but to be honest Id never buy anything from them that Id actually think would last and I could be on. Most of their stuff to me looks very hookey and more show then actual usefulness. They have some awesome looking products, but again, a lot of the stuff to me looks like stuff youd buy for movies, or putting up on your wall.

This news just makes my perception of them that much lower.

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Cold steel had some cool stuff, and i know the recon scout was a top seller and favorte amongst many knife enthusiasts, but to be honest Id never buy anything from them that Id actually think would last and I could be on. Most of their stuff to me looks very hookey and more show then actual usefulness. They have some awesome looking products, but again, a lot of the stuff to me looks like stuff youd buy for movies, or putting up on your wall.

This news just makes my perception of them that much lower.
Are you saying their knives currently being made in Japan with their San Mai III steel is not something that will last or could be counted on?

·
Officer Friendly
1,158 Posts
I have quite a few cold steel knives and even the "cheap" ones are not that bad. I think they offer thier popular models (kukri, trail master, recon scout) In both the San Mai III and the lower quality steel to make them affordable.

I am not a metal geek, so I don't really know what is good and what is bad, but I do have a recon scout in carbon V that I have had for 10 years now and I love it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
You're picking sides?

Strider/Burger was caught lying about his service with Uncle Sam. That's a serious personality fault. Cold Steel knives certainly are not junk.
Except for all the knife designs they stole and put out as their own.

I will repeat this over and over again---Cold Steel is a marketer and somewhat a designer of knives and has never been a manufacturer...They do not make knives, other people do and then they sell them!

San Mai in not proprietary to Cold Steel!

Carbon V ™ was not proprietary to Camillus!

Read about the various steels at Alligator's Reviews--Guide to Steel
Carbon V is a trademarked term by Cold Steel, and as such is not necessarily one particular kind of steel; rather, it describes whatever steel Cold Steel happens to be using, and there is an indication they do change steels from time to time. Carbon V performs roughly between 1095-ish and O1-ish, in my opinion, and rusts like O1 as well. I've heard rumors that Carbon V is O1 (which I think is unlikely) or 1095. Numerous industry insiders insist it is 0170-6. Some spark tests done by a rec.knives reader seem to point the finger at 50100-B. Since 50100-B and 0170-6 are the same steel (see below), this is likely the current Carbon V.

What caused such a huge decline of market share was that Cold Steel went and took the MAJORITY of their blades to Communist China from China, Republic of (Taiwan} and cheapened them…Because of the Labour/Human infractions in the World Court as well as convict and slave labour being used over there which caused many people to not buy their products not only due to how cheap (quality wise) the products were but for moral and ethical reasons as well...They are gradually switching back some BUT NOT ALL.

Their high end knives--made in Japan and Taiwan are way overpriced for the material used and especially to the quality of their workmanship...I can get full blown custom knives by noted makers, using superior materials, for far less money.

I don't need the hassles of checking to see where that model was made so I have stopped buying them altogether!

Kev, there is nothing wrong with stainless steel and if Cold Steel doesn’t have what you want, there are at least two hundred Commercial Makers listed in the sticky American, Canadian or European made knives in the Knife Section

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Question SeeKHer.... The ColdSteel Natchez made in Japan with their San Mai steel I have seen for as little as $299...
Is this over priced for a big Bowie like this? Other big Bowies seem to get quite pricey :D: And I really like the looks of the Natchez... But if its a over priced POS I'll pass

·
Officer Friendly
1,158 Posts
Question SeeKHer.... The ColdSteel Natchez made in Japan with their San Mai steel I have seen for as little as $299...
Is this over priced for a big Bowie like this? Other big Bowies seem to get quite pricey :D: And I really like the looks of the Natchez... But if its a over priced POS I'll pass
Just be careful because there are a lot of fake cold steel knives online. I don't know how to tell, but buyer beware.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
San Mai lll -- Prices are MSRP
Trailmaster $469.99 - 9.5 inch blade
Laredo is $599.99 - 10.5 inch
Gurkha Kukri $649.99 - 12 inch
Natchez Bowie $699.99 - 11.75 inch

SK-5 Stainless
Trailmaster $269.99 - 9.5 inch blade
Laredo Bowie $274.99 - 10.5 inch
Gurkha Kukri $299.99 - 12 inch

The Natchez is a wicked looking blade of really good steel but not for $700 and I'd be especially leery of one for $299 as it just may be SK-5 or ??? steel being passed off--like we can really tell? Dealer's notmal price on that blade would be between $340 and $420 depending on their buying power.

For $300 I can get a lovely Damascus Capstick or Yaeger knife from Rob Carleton's Damascus USA with Giraffe bone scales, leather sheath and get change back.

Cold Steel's mid range knives ($80 to $150) are quite good quality vs. price but you have to watch where they are made if that concerns you...It will say on the knife but usually not on the Internet ad...I have a bunch of their blades but bought fifteen plus years ago and they were good knives, THEN!

Since it was mentioned Strider Knives vs. the San Mai stuff $200 cheaper...You can also try Entrek USA for same size and basic design and $100 cheaper then the SK-5 stuff and much nicer knives--just ask Gallo pr Entrekman!

Hell, I can buy a Randall Model 12-8" Bear Bowie for $405.00 or the lighter stainless steel version for $480.00 but via a registered dealer as there is a four year wait from the factory.
8" blade. 1 5/8" width. 1/4" stock Top cutting edge sharpened 5" (approximate) leather handle with Brass double hilt, with forward curve.
Duralumin butt cap.

I just wouldn't spend that kind of money on a possible but highly probable fake from China when there are so many other "custom makers" who will do a better job, with better materials for less money with your direct input and from not only the USA but your home state (even city) if you wanted to.

·
Infidel/Warmonger/NeoCon
510 Posts
Funny, I have never had any issues with any of my Cold Steel knives... While it would be nice to have some of the nicer custom knives y'all speak of... I'm not investing too much in a knife that might decide to be lost or stolen... e.g. losing a $60 knife vs. one of the $200-$400 knives.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.