Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few months back I picked up a Cold Steel GI Tanto blade knife on eBay for around $20. I bought it with the intentions on decent size fixed blade in my GHB. Nothing fancy, just something to serve as an all-around utility knife.

My initial impressions of the knife was its pretty big. It's no Roman short sword but quite a bit bigger than the aviator survival knife I have carried for years.

Strap Knife

Knife Hunting knife Blade Dagger Bowie knife

Features:
•Overall Length (inches): 12
•Blade Length (inches): 7
•Blade Material: 1055 Carbon, Black
•Blade Detail: Plain
•Handle Material: Polycarbonate Scales
•Carry System: Cordura Sheath

The blade came in razor sharp, held an edge decent under heavy use and I found it easy to resharpen as needed. I used it to split wood, hack and chop and seemed to hold up well.

So here's my say;
PROs
1. Great price point, under $30.
2. Well balanced, feels good in the hand.
Blade

Machete

CONs
1. Sheath left a bit to be desired, very cheaply made. I am considering an aftermarket sheath or possibly trying my hand at making a Kydex sheath.
2. Made in China.
3. Handle is a 'polycarbonate scales' or in laymans terms a impact plastic type material, which makes it a bit slippery using wet.
Knife Blade Utility knife Hunting knife Tool

Knife Strap Blade

Some modifications;
1. I placed some tape on the handle and seemed to work well.
Knife

2. I found some extra webbing and was able to make a pouch and attached a magnesium fire steel to the sheath.

Overall, a good starter knife for those on a budget that need a good utility fixed blade. It can take a beating and still serve you well. Upgrade the sheath as you see fit. I'd say 3.5 to 4 out of 5 :D:

Hope this helps.:thumb:

-Source for features; http://www.knifeworks.com/coldsteelgitantopolycarbonatescaleshandlecordurasheath.aspx

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great post, it is interesting to me just based on the price. I own a few more expensive fixed blades, but the price can't be beat, if it really is that bad, you can give to someone close to you that can use it.

Just like people who bought 10 sks's, it could be a good handout.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I don't know if you got a fake, but I will say this:

The one I purchased recently has a COMPLETELY different sheath; one of the Secure-Ex ones...hard sheath and click to fit opening.

Mine also says "Cold Steel China" on one side with the whole registered TM circled R thing on one side and "GI TANTO" on the other.

The nuts on the handle of yours look different than on mine.

I like most things about mine. Not big on the handle, and the balance does not feel all that great to me.

Mine was also pretty inexpensive though, so I am not complaining.

Reactions: OLDWarrior64

·
Just reboot 3 times...
1,962 Posts
I don't know if you got a fake, but I will say this:

The one I purchased recently has a COMPLETELY different sheath; one of the Secure-Ex ones...hard sheath and click to fit opening.

Mine also says "Cold Steel China" on one side with the whole registered TM circled R thing on one side and "GI TANTO" on the other.

The nuts on the handle of yours look different than on mine.

I like most things about mine. Not big on the handle, and the balance does not feel all that great to me.

Mine was also pretty inexpensive though, so I am not complaining.
The OP was written in '10. The SecureEx sheath is a recent change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.