Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been considering doing something like that. If you remove that useless top guard the knife will be much more user friendly. I have done that to several cold steel trailmaster and recon scout bowies. Everybody seems to like them better.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Question for you kajunman, I just got one of these knives and it seems to be pretty stout. I had planned on putting it through its paces, but thats subject for another thread.

Have you done anything with the sheath? My initial opinion is that the sheath is the weak point, kinda flimsy.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have Not done anything with the sheath. You must carefully place the knife in the sheath to avoid cutting the snap. The sheath is solid, IMO. I have used a drill and/or a HOT nail to put a hole in a sheath for a tie-down hole, at the bottom, but not on a GI Tanto.

The first modified GI Tanto knife is uuuuglee. The top hand guard was completely removed. The slight ramp on the following ones does Not interfere when choking up and using the choil.

Here is a pic of a drop point version completed. It doesn't look exactly as planned, but I'm not comfortable removing any more metal. The sharp angles of the hand guards got some work too. You can barely see thumb ramp has a some light ridges, too.

Sorry, the pic could have been better. I need a belt sander, too.

Knife Blade Bowie knife Hunting knife Tool

·
Registered
9 Posts
How does this compare with the true flight?

I am a bit concerned with the huge gap between the handle and blade.

I also noticed in the pictures the handle looks wider on this that the TF anyone know if it is?

oh and what do you do to reseal the baked on coating when you grind one down, or do you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
CS GI Tanto's:

My next Mod may be a more of a Modified Drop point.

Clip point

Modified Drop point

View attachment 16615
Cool mods, I did mine abit back. It looks like the top one. I pretty much just rounded off the tanto shape. It's much more funtional now. I've beat the heck out of mine and it's held it's own and then some.

It really is a handy knife. It reminds me of a butchers knife now somewhat. It's nice and light not like some other military style knives that seem to be almost too thick for chores like field dressing game. The GI tanto does a good job, a bit long but it's actually a nice mid size outdoors knife with the mods or enhanced blade design:thumb:.

·
Registered
9 Posts
how does the GI Tanto compare to the true flight thrower?

which is a better all around knife?

I definitely would mod the tanto, but other than possibly a new handle I dont see much to do with the true flight given it being straight to begin with.

I have heard the tanto is thinner.

but I was wondering if that would be more useful.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TFT - Thicker, narrower, no hand guard, it is pretty much limited to it's shape. It is very heavy duty, designed for the abuse of throwing. If one could make a nice handle, with a hand/finger guard it would be more a viable knife. I have have one, and would like to do that one day.
GIT - is more versatile, especially modified. Thinner, thinner grind, easier to sharpen. heavy duty.

Both knives are cheap, but for how long?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did something similar to mine this past weekend...planning on modding a few more in the upcoming weeks. I'll post some pics up when I can. Anyone thought of making the knife shorter? I'm debating grinding off the quillons, ditching the handle scales, and cutting about two inches off of the tang.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.