Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Does anyone out there own or have personal experience with Cold Steel's AK47 folder? If so, what do you like or dislike about it? Has it proven durable? Does it hold an edge? Is it quick to open? Do you find the lock (once the blade is open) to be strong?

·
Retired from this *****.
375 Posts
heard its one of the fastest and more reliable assisted openers out there,seemed like a good knife to me, but i prefer fixed blade.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I also prefer my knives not made in Communist China as all of Cold Steel's are...

$100 for an aluminium handle, $135 for G10...

Sorry, I'd rather buy Benchmade or Emerson at those prices...

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
I own one, I like it.

It opens extremely fast once you know how to do it.

It's razorsharp from the factory and it keeps an edge. However the shape of the grind might make sharpening it at home a little more difficult (but not impossible, I haven't tried it myself yet)

It's a heavy knife, it's a tactical folder and I think it's designed to function in the role of self defence folding knife. It's a fighting/tactical knife or however you prefer to call it.

Note that Nutnfancy in this review has borrowed the knife from a friend, where I have carried this knife for a long period (and still carrying). The point about the lockup not being tight. I've seen that, however you can easily fix that by tightening the pivot screw. Been there, done that. You need a torx 10 for that. To completely take the knife apart (it's possible to do that for cleaning, that's something I like about it) you also need a torx 6 screwdriver.

The knife is also perfect for left handed people because it's ambidextrous, you can mount the attachment clip on the other side of the knife too.

It's a tough design. I like the knife a lot.

(my English is bad in this post, I'm sorry it's long past bedtime here. good night everybody)

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wolfe, thank you for the tremendously detailed information and the video. I appreciate it. And, by the way, your English is just fine...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The knife isn't bad (though I have personal issues w/ Cold Steel and the owner), but, unless a really good price is found, I would pay a bit more and go with the an Emerson.

I am also fairly sure that Cold Steel's assisted opener 'feature' is simply a rip off of Emerson, and not licensed from them, etc - that tends to lead me towards paying 20 or 30 bucks more and supporting the original guy, but I am not expert on these matters, and might be wrong.

THAT ALL SAID - one of my good friends carries this knife, and other than the weight, it really is pretty solid, and if it is what you are looking for exactly, you will probably enjoy it.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Had one when they first came out loved it, gave to my brother in Law when he went to the sand box, he loved it a lot more than the Benchmade they issued him also

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I've posted this before and there are some guilds as well as dealers...

Check out
Blade Forum
Knife Forum
Knife Network
Sword Forum
Custom Knives and Guns
Jerzee Devils Forum

These major dealers:
Knife Art
Knife Directory
KMD Custom Knives
Art Knives
Blade Art
Blade Gallery
Rehoboth Custom
Robertson's
Arizona Custom

Guilds and Assoc:
A K T I - American Knife & Tool
A B S - American Bladesmith Soc
P K A - Professional Knifemakers Assoc
K M G - Knife Makers Guild
C K G - Canadian Knifemakers Guild

Between them you'll have the listing of just about any reputable knifemakers in Canada and the USA as some are listed in more then one country or guild/society and also links to their sites...

These online dealers:
Knives Ship Free +1
Ragnar's Ragweed Forge
Heinnie Haynes
Great Lakes Custom
Michigan Knives
World Knives Ltd.
Cutlery To Go!
The Knife Store
Wolfknives - Feines Werkzeug & Handwerk
R.E.K. - very specialized blade types

·
Registered
44 Posts
i've had one for a few years and i love it. it opens cleanly and locks up solid. it hasn't needed sharpening yet and i've used it for common everyday tasks. i have the aluminum handled version. my blade has two small nicks in it from doing slight chopping with it while camping, which its hollow ground edge is not suited for. the handle is also very comfortable for me in a variety of grips. hope this was helpful sf13

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Cold steel folders are very solid knives. I would NOT however buy any knife with even a single piece of it made in china. I would ask them first where it's made. I have owned three of their lower priced folders and their original trail master in carbonV, none of which do I have now but all were contenders. I beat the snot out of my caledonian edge and it didn't even flinch. The tip on it is the only vulnerable point which I first bent by simply tossing into a oak tv tray and then picking it all up by the handle.and then stupidly tried to bend back & it snapped. They sent me a brand new 1st which retails for an unholy $440.

·
Warrior of the wasteland.
149 Posts
I also prefer my knives not made in Communist China as all of Cold Steel's are...

$100 for an aluminium handle, $135 for G10...

Sorry, I'd rather buy Benchmade or Emerson at those prices...
Not all Cold Steel knives are made in communist China.
what about Taiwan and Japan and South Africa....
if you have a hard-on against cold steel fine... but keep it real...
actual price for a cold steel ak 47 aluminum around 50 bucks g10 75 or so.

beloved benchmade's red class CHINA

just that facts man, just the facts.

If you like it buy it, use it have fun...
Ideally i would buy everything made in America but we don't live in an ideal world do we?

·
Registered
136 Posts
For a while I debated about getting a CS American Lawman since it's Taiwan made. I've since come to love this knife. I handled an AK47 a few years ago and was surprised how comfortable the handle was, yet I didn't buy it. I love the Tri-Ad lock but the 2010 CS lineup shows they changed the handle shape on a lot of the knives. I'm sure you could still get a pre-2010 AK47 but I prefer the Tri-Ad lock so it's a tossup.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Not all Cold Steel knives are made in communist China.
what about Taiwan and Japan and South Africa....
if you have a hard-on against cold steel fine... but keep it real...
actual price for a cold steel ak 47 aluminum around 50 bucks g10 75 or so.

beloved benchmade's red class CHINA

just that facts man, just the facts.

If you like it buy it, use it have fun...
Ideally i would buy everything made in America but we don't live in an ideal world do we?
I don’t know where you get the idea that Benchmade isn’t USA made including most of their Red Class Brand…their website states that all are Made in the USA or Taiwan (Republic of) in the specs info for the knives …Now, whether the steel is Chinese (Taiwan), Japanese, German, Swedish or American it doesn’t say…You do know that there are two Chinas? Communist mainland including Hong Kong (after 1997) and Taiwan, Republic of!

Cold Steel hasn’t had a knife made in Taiwan in about five or six years (if not more) and the steel used in many of the knives San Mai III and AUS-8A while maybe made in Japan the knives aren’t and commercially haven’t for a long time…Then again their website doesn’t mentioned anything about them being made by Chi-Comm but the boxes do say that they aren’t made in Japan or South Africa just China…Their older, Taiwanese blades of which I have about ten or so are damn good knives and are marked Taiwan…

Now, I’ve never said I disliked Cold Steel, they design—they never have or will make a knife--very sharp looking knives <<pun intended>> using other peoples locks and designs but their top end knives are seriously over priced for the quality that you’re getting— AUS-8A is fair and San Mai III isn’t that great a steel and a couple of other makers have used it so it isn’t proprietary to Cold Steel…You can get better designed and better made knives by better custom not commercial makers for much less…

Caledonian Edge 60CE $440 or Hatamoto 60H $400 in folders and Gurkha Kukri 39LGKT $300, San Mai III Gurkha Kukri 35ATCJ $650, Trail Master 16JSM $470, Laredo Bowie 16CCB $600 (A Trail Master with a coffin handle) or Natchez Bowie 16ABSJ $700 in fixed blades…Their swords, just rebadged Windless or Chen etc. blades like the Emperor Series – Katana $875 and O-Tanto $500

Come on a Kukhri for $300 or $650! A $700 Clip point bowie with a Micarta handle, Hell, I can get Damascus with mammoth scales for that price...

I am just adverse to buying slave labour products from Communist overlords, regardless of whose label is on the tang or box! I won’t knowingly buy Communist made goods

Now, how else can you compare pricing but by makers suggested? I was quoting the price directly from the Cold Steel’s website and will always compare MSRP instead of street as there are far too many variables involved…shipping, insurance, handling, maybe brokerage and taxes that aren’t reflected in the sales prices…I’ve found many prices that were more but in fact were cheaper because they included shipping and/or insurance…

Examples:
Knife Connection
DLT Trading – Large Bark River dealer
Dave’s Knife World
Knife Depot
Knife Outlet
Knife Source
Knifeworks
Knives Plus
Knives USA – Have not dealt with personally
Smokey Mountain Knife Works

As I said before, Made in the USA is only an indication of where constructed (maybe), not quality...

·
Warrior of the wasteland.
149 Posts
I don’t know where you get the idea that Benchmade isn’t USA made including most of their Red Class Brand…their website states that all are Made in the USA or Taiwan (Republic of) in the specs info for the knives …Now, whether the steel is Chinese (Taiwan), Japanese, German, Swedish or American it doesn’t say…You do know that there are two Chinas? Communist mainland including Hong Kong (after 1997) and Taiwan, Republic of!

Cold Steel hasn’t had a knife made in Taiwan in about five or six years (if not more) and the steel used in many of the knives San Mai III and AUS-8A while maybe made in Japan the knives aren’t and commercially haven’t for a long time…Then again their website doesn’t mentioned anything about them being made by Chi-Comm but the boxes do say that they aren’t made in Japan or South Africa just China…Their older, Taiwanese blades of which I have about ten or so are damn good knives and are marked Taiwan…

Now, I’ve never said I disliked Cold Steel, they design—they never have or will make a knife--very sharp looking knives <<pun intended>> using other peoples locks and designs but their top end knives are seriously over priced for the quality that you’re getting— AUS-8A is fair and San Mai III isn’t that great a steel and a couple of other makers have used it so it isn’t proprietary to Cold Steel…You can get better designed and better made knives by better custom not commercial makers for much less…

Caledonian Edge 60CE $440 or Hatamoto 60H $400 in folders and Gurkha Kukri 39LGKT $300, San Mai III Gurkha Kukri 35ATCJ $650, Trail Master 16JSM $470, Laredo Bowie 16CCB $600 (A Trail Master with a coffin handle) or Natchez Bowie 16ABSJ $700 in fixed blades…Their swords, just rebadged Windless or Chen etc. blades like the Emperor Series – Katana $875 and O-Tanto $500

Come on a Kukhri for $300 or $650! A $700 Clip point bowie with a Micarta handle, Hell, I can get Damascus with mammoth scales for that price...

I am just adverse to buying slave labour products from Communist overlords, regardless of whose label is on the tang or box! I won’t knowingly buy Communist made goods

Now, how else can you compare pricing but by makers suggested? I was quoting the price directly from the Cold Steel’s website and will always compare MSRP instead of street as there are far too many variables involved…shipping, insurance, handling, maybe brokerage and taxes that aren’t reflected in the sales prices…I’ve found many prices that were more but in fact were cheaper because they included shipping and/or insurance…

Examples:
Knife Connection
DLT Trading – Large Bark River dealer
Dave’s Knife World
Knife Depot
Knife Outlet
Knife Source
Knifeworks
Knives Plus
Knives USA – Have not dealt with personally
Smokey Mountain Knife Works

As I said before, Made in the USA is only an indication of where constructed (maybe), not quality...
I am very aware of the difference between main land china and taiwan
If you'll notice in my post i added taiwan in the list of countries that are NOT communist

i do agree with you that their high end knives are laughably over priced
yeah the marketing is ridiculous
but so what?

in the last year I've managed to easily buy these "commercially unavailable"
japanese and taiwanese blades from both brick and mortar stores and online...
i'm not talking about discountinued knives...

what part of "beloved benchmades red class" made you think i said benchmade doesn't make knives in the usa??
From benchmades website
on the steels they use in some of their knives
" 9Cr13CoMoV: A Chinese made high-carbon stainless steel with increased levels of cobalt added for greater edge retention. Offers a higher level of corrosion resistance at a great value.

8Cr14MoV: A Chinese steel with similar performance characteristics to AUS-8. An excellent value priced steel for its performance. "

look real close at the little letters on this blade

that says CHINA not Taiwan
although i should have been more specific as to which benchmade red class is chinese

like i said go on dislike them for what ever reason you want
no reason others shouldn't enjoy and feel free to post about what they own.. with out having some one slag them down about what a sh*t company their knife is from...

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I can’t remember which model series in the Red Box knife series of theirs it was—different sized and different blade styles for four models but one read imported, the other read Taiwan and the third read China but the fourth read the same as a previous one (imported I believe)…same knife—combo or straight blade, large or small sizes and if I wasn’t at my daughter’s (Dial up service) I’d try finding it again…
A few years ago in an interview in some trade rag or either Knives Illustrated or Blade the CEO or boss or chief honcho of Benchmade said they, regarding China, wouldn’t be making knives other then Taiwan, Republic of China and I took him for his word!
If memory serves, there were maybe four/five that read China out of their whole catalogue; so out of hundred odd knives that would be around/near/about a 30:1 ratio—that is if it isn’t meaning Taiwan, Republic of or for the Olympics Taipei…
If not I stand corrected about Benchmade products but I’d still buy ninety five+ percent of their product line albeit a little more carefully…
But, it goes back to my not knowingly buying Commie goods…I can buy Cuban cigars here, right from Havana, but I won’t…I don’t shop at Wal-Mart for that reason except for very selected items and food which I know aren’t Commie made and people should be made aware of this...
How many people do you know that think Cold Steel is a knife maker like Buck or Benchmade? How many people do you think believe they are American thusly all their knives are American made? I'm just trying to educate the uninformed.
As I said as designers they're very good and I've got nothing against their blades (other then location of manufacture and being seriously overpriced) and own a bunch of the older models...Lynn has done very well with promoting his company, (which I visited many years ago), by starting off with his "I'm as strong--or stronger then the other guys" free VHS tapes and all the rope cutting demos for his blades on them...It worked...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts