·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Bad Dog
1,186 Posts
Rolling Freaking Blackouts

All across Texas we are getting rolling blackouts for 15 minutes. no pattern yet how often.
got 1 at 7:30, another 8:30. another 10:30

so far I have not fired up the big diesel gen, not really worth it, and I dont know how often to expect an outage.

I would rather it just go out and stay out til its done...grrrr

this includes all of dallas and houston

I guess its cause too many people using electric heat, wonder why it doesnt do this in the summer with all the a/c ??

Per the electric co, the grid is "unstable" no they are randomly punishing us

make it stop !!! :mad:

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

·
Matthew 5:7
313 Posts
Power out

My sister in Morgan's Point, Tx has been without power for 4 hours now. They are still at home even though she & her family have gotten plenty of invites.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,209 Posts
We just had a 2 hour blackout here. It came up about 40 minutes ago. Cable is still out. I'm using a wireless modem and getting almost no speed from it. Slower than dialup today.

·
Watching, Waiting....
1,473 Posts
Dallas, here and they started at about 6am this morning. First one lasted the longest. Now when the power goes out its off for about 15 mins. Nothing big.

My brother laughed at me when I went to the store and firmed up my preps, got some more firewood, charcoal, and wool blankets. He said why are you doing this. And of course I replied "May be a power outage" He laughed and said that this only happens to home with power being feed to the external part of the house and not the underground network like ours....At 6am I felt sorry for my brother as I pulled my feet back from the fire because it got too toasty. Took another sip of hot coffee and nestled back into my wool blanket. Kids had fun making hot dogs for breakfast. Kinda took the anxiety away for them. We were all laughing and talking when the lights came on. You could kind of tell everyone was kind of bummed when the power came on and the "Family time" was over.

I called my brother, he said he was too freaking cold in his bed and was going to go jump in the shower to warm up......I laughed and held back the urge to tell him the electric water heater was not on for hours.....I am waiting to hear from him later. We may go shopping for him....

OK it's 11:37 and the power went back out. Time for my family to sit around an talk again. I am kind of liking this.

·
Standing Vigilant
504 Posts
Hill Country out 3 times since 6:15 a.m.
Standby generator has kicked on all three times.:thumb:
That was a big confidence booster for my whole family.

Ya'll stay warm. I know we are.

Doginit

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What? infrastructure problems in Utopia? I thought Texas was immune to California problems being, you know, a Red state and all.
Population growth from all the bleeding heart liberals who want to protect the illegal immigrants.

If they would go back to california, things would be great here.

·
Watching, Waiting....
1,473 Posts
What? infrastructure problems in Utopia? I thought Texas was immune to California problems being, you know, a Red state and all.
Yeah I guess you are right...Once in 15yrs. Thats an infrastructure problem. Now what do you call it when it happens twice a month like in California? Oh that's right......California.

Texas is still the best. Winter time we have Chili that takes the blue ribbon and the summer we have steaks that kings would kill for. BBQ well Kansas and Nashville still have us there. But we are getting better. The people, the hearatige...The food.....Plus the women in Texas are the most gorgeous women in the world.... Man I love it here.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Have had three here now. On the radio, they said people are complaining because the blackouts are lasting for more than 15 minutes. Here the last one was almost an hour. Had three now. The wife called on her way home now....and said she's seen a half dozen accidents on the north side of San Antonio at intersections where the traffic lights were out.
If the weather gets bad here....glad I won't be there!

EDIT: Didn't know if this showed up. Hit submit....poof....20 minute blackout. More frustrating than anything.......tired of re-setting the clocks, stove...blah, blah....lol

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
Not sure I would even notice it .
I run primarily on solar pannels, batteries, and inverters.
On heavy over cast, or continuiously rainy days, I simply hook up the battery charger to the grid, or fire up the generator to charge the Battery bank ,when they are all full, shut it down .
If I lived in freezing tempretures ,open spaces in the frige would be filled with milk jugs full of frozen water brought from out side . Unplug the frige till the power stablized on the grid .(brown outs tend to burn motors ) A full frige is more effecient any way.
I just don't understand why people waste free energy when it is laying around doing nothing. sunlight / snow /wind . boggles the mind.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Have had three here now. On the radio, they said people are complaining because the blackouts are lasting for more than 15 minutes. Here the last one was almost an hour. Had three now. The wife called on her way home now....and said she's seen a half dozen accidents on the north side of San Antonio at intersections where the traffic lights were out.
If the weather gets bad here....glad I won't be there!
15min is bigger in Texas :D:

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
If this is going to last into the night, I hope they take the industrial users off line, or at least get warm shelters open for the elderly. HVAC systems are going to get busted from the voltage drops. This stuff happening in extreme cold or extreme heat is never funny. But sometimes the opportunity is too good to pass up.

·
Matthew 5:7
313 Posts
Coincidence... I think not...

"The state’s slogan is “Don’t mess with Texas.” But the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is doing just that, and at stake is whether the Obama administration can impose its global-warming agenda without a vote of Congress.

"For 16 years, the EPA allowed Texas to run its own permitting program to meet federal air-quality standards. But in May (2010), the agency announced- out of nowhere - that the state is not in compliance with federal regulations. Even though Texas had met its clean-air obligations, the EPA announced it was taking over permitting."

Now we're having rolling blackouts...

Coincidence... I think not...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/aug/25/texas-fights-global-warming-power-grab/

·
Watching, Waiting....
1,473 Posts
If this is going to last into the night, I hope they take the industrial users off line, or at least get warm shelters open for the elderly. HVAC systems are going to get busted from the voltage drops.
That would make a huge difference. My brother owns a power consulting firm and he has a client that does metal smelting and their unit melt with electricity, they spend a million dollars a month on power. They are not the only ones....I bet this would save tons of power.
Plus like Cranky1950 Said, Get the elderly in a safe place, too many of them try to tough it out not accepting that they are not in their prime like the "good olé days" and end up getting hurt or killed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts