Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts
>How good is post-1964 change in shtf, like nickels, dimes, and quarters

They will work in vending machines. They are also legal tender in the USA so let's say you have 6 bucks in post '64 change. You are fleeing a hurricane that is one the way and you need gas for your ride. You can pump 6 dollars worht of gas and then hand the attendant your 6 dollars in change and he will accept it.

I take it your are new to the United States. Welcome, it a wonderful place to visit.

McLOVIN

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
How good is post-1964 change in shtf, like nickels, dimes, and quarters?

The pre-1964 silver coins are no longer coins per se because the value of the silver in those coins makes them for all intents and purposes commodities.

This is currently happening to the pre-1982 cents and all currently produced nickels.

A not often mentioned quirk of the German hyperinflation of the 1920's is that while the paper currency became worth less and less, some astute individuals used that money to hoard coins.

When Germany issued new currency, its stated value was one new mark for One Trillion of the old marks. The coins however were not devalued and anyone holding coins saw their value jump by a factor of a trillion overnight.

With that said I know of at least one person who devotes a large percentage of his income every week to purchasing currently issued Nickels and dimes. His reasoning is even if there is no hyperinflation, the nickels are already worth more than 5 cents each just in metals content...

·
Banned
1,405 Posts
How good is post-1964 change in shtf, like nickels, dimes, and quarters?
ALOT

think about it, the only people with stuff to trade is more then likely going to be a prepper or someone who deals with preepers, so they will know what they are.

silver/gold will not be used right off the bat, it will be food/med/guns/ammo/etc

after a year or two, gold and silver would come into play.

·
Banned
1,405 Posts
The pre-1964 silver coins are no longer coins per se because the value of the silver in those coins makes them for all intents and purposes commodities.

This is currently happening to the pre-1982 cents and all currently produced nickels.

A not often mentioned quirk of the German hyperinflation of the 1920's is that while the paper currency became worth less and less, some astute individuals used that money to hoard coins.

When Germany issued new currency, its stated value was one new mark for One Trillion of the old marks. The coins however were not devalued and anyone holding coins saw their value jump by a factor of a trillion overnight.

With that said I know of at least one person who devotes a large percentage of his income every week to purchasing currently issued Nickels and dimes. His reasoning is even if there is no hyperinflation, the nickels are already worth more than 5 cents each just in metals content...
good post, not many know about the German coins, good catch.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts

Explain the rationale behind the nickel thing. I know Rawles talks about saving nickels on his blog occasionally, but they're just nickel and copper alloy. Some people complain about silver being too heavy and bulky compared to gold. Silver would be like gold compared to nickels. You'd have to have a forklift to transport a nickel stash of any worth.

Does anyone really see nickel or copper appreciating to a point where it would be worth the bulk and weight to accumulate nickels and dimes?

Also, if one is collecting nickels and dimes, why not quarters too? They're all nickel/copper alloy.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Explain the rationale behind the nickel thing. I know Rawles talks about saving nickels on his blog occasionally, but they're just nickel and copper alloy. Some people complain about silver being too heavy and bulky compared to gold. Silver would be like gold compared to nickels. You'd have to have a forklift to transport a nickel stash of any worth.

Does anyone really see nickel or copper appreciating to a point where it would be worth the bulk and weight to accumulate nickels and dimes?

Also, if one is collecting nickels and dimes, why not quarters too? They're all nickel/copper alloy.

Think about the relationship between the size of the coin, its denomination, and its metal content.

This website gives the current metal value of all US coins...

www.coinflation.com

·
Shield Up Sword Drawn
2,960 Posts
If the OP was refering to silver coins, they in my opinion are very necessary. A silver dime today is worth $1.33. If the SHTF the prices of metals is going up. That will be the only real money.

At first the shops will not accept it beyond face value. However, in short time they will prefer it to the huge quantity of Federal Reserve Notes it will take to buy something.

I would only buy your countries gold and silver. It is easy for shop owners to recognize the silver coins from his own country. If you bring a bunch of Canadian silver coins into a shop in the uSA, they may not be aware that it is silver or may not trust that it is. But a old 1961 George Washington quarter will be recognized and accepted. But then again, a bottle of Rum will be a big winner also. How about a thousand airplane bottles of liquor? I think that would have some trading power.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I think coins of silver or gold will have a place if we have a complete breakdown of the economy (and I do believe that its coming before too long). Initially I doubt the coins will be of use, you will do better to also have a supply of trade goods for barter in immediately urgent phase. When things start to settle down, post chaos and people begin organizing and begin practicing actual trades/work you will probably find a use for the precious metals. If things never go to chaos and the economy/dollar system is just phffft, then your coins may be useful sooner than later. sorta depends on what comes.

·
Μολὼν λαβ
596 Posts
ALOT

think about it, the only people with stuff to trade is more then likely going to be a prepper or someone who deals with preepers, so they will know what they are.

silver/gold will not be used right off the bat, it will be food/med/guns/ammo/etc

after a year or two, gold and silver would come into play.
Gold and silver will come into use within a few months if not weeks. I will immediately be interested in exchanges based on precious metals.

For instance, one silver eagle will buy you one can of sardines at my trading post.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

This doesn't make sense. You're saying that if I had a dollars worth of German coins at the time of the switch over, I'd then be a trillionaire ?? Maybe a trillionaire with old German money, but not the new.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
This doesn't make sense. You're saying that if I had a dollars worth of German coins at the time of the switch over, I'd then be a trillionaire ?? Maybe a trillionaire with old German money, but not the new.

YES A TRILLIONAIRE OF THE NEW MONEY.

If you took a trillion old marks at the time of the changeover you would have taken them to the bank and exchanged them for a single new mark.

If you took a trillion old marks and sometime before the changeover had exchanged them for coins, one the day of the changeover you could have taken those coins to the bank and gotten a trillion of the new marks with them.

Same money....One person gets one mark in exchange and another (Theoretically) gets a trillion marks.

Caveats...coins were relatively rare in 1923 and you would have had to be doing this the whole time to have accumulated a large amount of coinage.

There are records of many people having several hundred thousand marks worth of coins and even a few who had coins in the millions but none had billions of marks worth or more.

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
That does it! I'm buying a wheel barrel before they are all gone.
Ha! That is great! You might also want to collect some of those canvas bags with the big dollar signs on the side as well.

I had not heard this before. Why did Germany do this? I am just curious why they didn't include coins (rare or not) into the mix with all the worthless paper.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
So you're saying that if I walked into a German bank with a handful of German quarters or whatever they call them, equivalent to .50 cents. I'd get half a trillion marks of new money.....what are you smoking ?? I want some...

:D:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.