Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what money for SHTF? paper money or coins?

paper.
pros: takes up little space. small number of bills can be undetectable in your pocket. lots of bills of high denomination can be stored in a small container.
cons: can get soaked, will get worn and torn.

coins.
pros: waterproof. won't rust if stored reasonably dry. impervious to mold, bugs, etc. won't wear out for decades if ever.
cons: can rust/corrode if soaked outdoors for a while. 1$ coins are bulky. larger denominations might not be accepted because they are unfamiliar.

which would you rather have?

·
Twisted, sick, smart***, occasionally sarcastic...
1,693 Posts
I would say both or all 3 actually. Paper coins and pre 64 coins. Never know what people will accept. Lots of people aren't aware of pre 64 so they get the current garbage.
Or you could just carry your digital cbdc card in a few years.

·
Registered
590 Posts
As long as stores and businesses still accept cash, then it has value. Worth carrying some.

In a major SHTF, stores gone, no commercial enterprise accepting cash, then??? what good is it to anyone?
If i accept cash under those circumstances, I have no way to redeem it for needed things. That's when it becomes totally devalued.

IF someone has everything they need, they MAY accept silver or gold, as a hedge.
But even precious metals have a problem in total SHTF, they cannot be traded for needed goods.

So, it depends on the situation, and the definition of the particular SHTF event.

Right before the currency loses it's value is the time to stock up on durable goods and needed items. liquidate that currency into something that will retain it's value.
Cigarettes, alchohol, fuel, food, ammo....etc.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wonder if its either, I'm personally thinking that if someone wants to trade with me, I don't want silver and gold, Id rather have chickens, goats, etc

Initially they might work at walmart or wherever, but inflation and the fact that you can't eat silver will rapidly prevail.

Also currency will be rapidly devalued, and any hard goods will increase in value, so im thinking Id rather spend it now on stuff I can use and trade with, rather than having a stockpile of coins that's value will crash??????

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
like so many things it depends on the nature of the shtf. a steep economic downturn that nevertheless has an end (great depression), having dollars while everyone else has none means you will be able to buy things for deep discounts because people need cash.

it a total monetary collapse (has never happened in US history, but has happened in the history of other nations), clearly you want something that will hold value.

Reactions: fotog

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
If you are talking about regular coins people use day to day and are familiar with will you be able to find someone who will accept more than a couple bucks in change? I can't help but think if regular (not gold or silver) coins still have value then paper money should as well. American paper money is amazingly resistant to water, rot, and sun deterioration, if you store it with the slightest bit of care it should stay in good shape. I don't know if other countries paper money is as well made, I am sure some is better and some is just regular paper that melts when wet.

If you are talking about gold and silver coins, that can be entirely different based on the nature of the event.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Paper may retain value for a week, maybe two, however, tangible goods will become the currency pretty quickly. PM coins will be of value later in the aftermath of any massive SHTF scenario. IMO

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Cash, Coins,PM ,Skills, stored commodities and self-reliance. Get all you can. I'm not going to limit myself by predicting the aftermath of SHTF. I don't know what's coming (if anything) or how it ends. Be prepared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
well, on 2nd thought cash is king. it will probably always be king. only reason someone would not take it - IMHO, is if they have a lot of good to trade, and end up with too much cash and don't want anymore. cash will live on forever. well, it may die, and then come back again, but planning for that gap is impossilbe so - have some cash. cash is king!

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
My concern is the weight aspects of coins.

Conceding I used to carry quarters for still available laundramats not yet on new systems, no longer needed since electricity is really the common denominator now.

I've written at Forum that I leave my 3A armor for evacs and substitute a Sterns industrial vest. This is an area with much water ways to cross in evacs.

A study of the reports tells of many drownings due weigh - later established the weight was gold bars of cufflink size.

It's a trade-off decision.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Assumption: A nationwide or global "SHTF" event, economic collapse, or worse.

Paper will have purchasing power for some limited period of time, then it will just be paper.

Some coins may have enduring value... I could see a local economy using coins, in particular 64 & older "junk silver" (dimes, quarters, halves, dollars) and 82 & older pennies.

Check the link: Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?

A five cent coin already has a value higher than it's face value.

The zinc pennies are at 78% of face.

1965+ dimes, quarters, etc. are at 20% of face.

Commentary: a 500% inflation would make the most garbage US coin have "value"...

·
Always Loaded
3,238 Posts
Assumption: A nationwide or global "SHTF" event, economic collapse, or worse.

Paper will have purchasing power for some limited period of time, then it will just be paper.

Some coins may have enduring value... I could see a local economy using coins, in particular 64 & older "junk silver" (dimes, quarters, halves, dollars) and 82 & older pennies.

Check the link: Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?

A five cent coin already has a value higher than it's face value.

The zinc pennies are at 78% of face.

1965+ dimes, quarters, etc. are at 20% of face.

Commentary: a 500% inflation would make the most garbage US coin have "value"...
That minute value of the base metals would mean nothing. It means nothing now. I highly doubt someone is going to start a refinery to separate zinc and nickle from pocket change post SHTF. Keeping a few grand in cash is wise, as like you aid it will retain some power for a short time. Silver and gold will, in my opinion, be ignored initially, and as the dust settles they will emerge as the prime asset to barter. Cash, usable goods, precious metals.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts