Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
19,414 Posts
I had a guy at work saying "All" the coinstars are down. That didn't make sense to me because "they" want that change back.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
16,840 Posts
I ordered a box of dollar and half-dollar coins week before last. Also a strap of $2 bills. They are due sometime this week.

Funny many times the clerk will take out their own money to place in the register so they can keep the coins. This is the first time trying it with $2 bills.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I had a guy at work saying "All" the coinstars are down. That didn't make sense to me because "they" want that change back.
But do they? Some coins cost more to mint than face value and that should increase with inflation.

There seems to be issues with the minting of silver Eagles or at least consistent supply

.Gov is directed by the Constitution to mint coins but with this crew running things I could see them stop and blame it on Putin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
the "d" from ban[d]
16,840 Posts
But do they? Some coins cost more to mint than face value and that should increase with inflation.

There seems to be issues with the minting of silver Eagles or at least consistent supply

.Gov is directed by the Constitution to mint coins but with this crew running things I could see them stop and blame it on Putin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is why pennies are no longer minted in copper. So which coins today have minting cost more than face value?

For the first time, I paid more than $100 for a Silver Proof Set. I buy a set every year. I don't buy Silver Eagles so what seems to be the problem?

Janet Yellen couldn't manage a lemon aid stand but she is worth $20 million. Therefore she has me beat at doing something.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Up here we don't use the penny coin.. we use rounding to the nickel for cash transactions.. It works out over the course of a year.. We also use a $1 and $2 coins.. No $1 bill.. This can be a problem if you don't manage your change well you will end up with a big pocket full of coins.. Great to have on hand for garage sale day, but it can be tiresome to lug around.. We have a friend who works at a branch Salvation Army thrift store who is always glad to see us come in as we sell them our pocket change..

I don't know where the break point is for the cost to manufacture a coin.. But I have noticed coins that are 30+ years old.. It is said the life of a bill is 5 years average before needing replaced..

·
Registered
863 Posts
That is why pennies are no longer minted in copper. So which coins today have minting cost more than face value?

For the first time, I paid more than $100 for a Silver Proof Set. I buy a set every year. I don't buy Silver Eagles so what seems to be the problem?

Janet Yellen couldn't manage a lemon aid stand but she is worth $20 million. Therefore she has me beat at doing something.
The US penny and nickel both cost more to mint than their face value. That has been the case for a good while now.

·
What would Mal do
5,389 Posts
for years...decades in fact... my parents started this game and I continued it.
W have a huge jar that we put our pocket change in...and each year, the kids get to count it out and that money went towards vacation.
Typically there would be $300-$400 in there and in the old days, that was enough to cover a 3 day pass at the theme park etc.
The kids grew up and the jar fell silent, but it is full. But with covid nonsense, we didn't use the fun money for vacation, and then all the supposed coin shortage made me say.. "hmmm..think I'll just let that sit for a while".

There's gotta be close to $400 in change. I always do a fast scan when we roll the coins in case there's something that might be of value.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
16,840 Posts
W have a huge jar that we put our pocket change in...and each year, the kids get to count it out and that money went towards vacation.
Typically there would be $300-$400 in there and in the old days, that was enough to cover a 3 day pass at the theme park etc.
The kids grew up and the jar fell silent, but it is full. But with covid nonsense, we didn't use the fun money for vacation, and then all the supposed coin shortage made me say.. "hmmm..think I'll just let that sit for a while".

There's gotta be close to $400 in change. I always do a fast scan when we roll the coins in case there's something that might be of value.
That is similar to what my wife and I did when we first got married. Our motto: Never spend a penny. It was our only method of savings. I know it went on for years but cannot remember when or why we stopped.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
16,840 Posts

I thought they corrected that when they changed contents but you are correct:

·
the "d" from ban[d]
16,840 Posts
The US penny and nickel both cost more to mint than their face value. That has been the case for a good while now.
You are correct. I thought they fixed that when they changed the content.

2,686 Posts
.....and THIS is why there is a change shortage.
If I'm going to hoard something, it's going to be something useful.. not just because. The modern penny is no better than the paper dollar.
I can see saving real non-zinc full copper pennies... but I don't do that either.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts