Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share my personal experience with you guys. This saw is the best bang for your buck by far. I have tried Bahco and Silky. They are all good saws but cost 3X more and not that better then the Sierra. Gerber Sportman's is another good folding saw for about $11 but Coghlan's Sierra is so much easier to work with and the blade is about 1" longer.

I have 2 of them now and can't understimate the importance and conveinience of a good folding saw for camping or backpacking.

Highly recommend it.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I had that saw break at the hinge. I rock with a sven saw now. The sven saw is basically a foldable bow saw that cuts in both directions.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I am lucky because my orginal one is still doing great but I just ordered a spare so I would keep one in the house and the other one in the car. This way I always have it when I need it. To be sure, I am very careful with my tools and don't push them beyond of what they are capable of. I am sure the Sven saw is a more capable saw but it's bigger, heavier and more expensive. We all have our limitations. :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hmm maby I have to try it out! I started out with the Buck Folding Saw witch was pretty good. Tried Fiskars aswell, but I stick to Bacho Laplander! It has gone trough so much beating!

I used to give Bacho in gift to friends!

I concider folding saw one of the moast important tools to bring along camping/hiking! So much you can get done with it for so little weight!

·
Registered
922 Posts
i have 3 or 4 of those carry one in the skidoo ,truck. tractor and of course one in the bob. they are a great saw for splitting briskets to

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
I have a few folding saws that use sawsall blades. That way I can use different blades if needed.

I just bought a new d handle machette that has a sweet saw opposite the machette blade , and it works like my Swiss Army Forester saw blade but it is like 14'' long.

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
I've had good results with my Gerber sliding saw. It's price-per-quality seems unbeatable and it's handle appears very tough. But I agree with what Flex said in his O.P; the Gerber can be a headache to use. The blade lock mechanism is too good at what it does; easy to lock but requires the grip of a bear to unlock. I've used those saws that switch out sawsall blades but their rate of cut is poor when hand powered, good for the tool box but not for the trail.

http://www.rei.com/product/769770

·
Registered
146 Posts
Iv got a Coleman folding saw in my bag I think it cost me $4. The thing was nearly falling apart right out of the package but after tightening the screw its surprisingly good. I don't know how it would fare long term but it ripped right through the 2x4 I tested it on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I prefer the Coghlan's Super Sierra saw. It doesn't fold, but it comes with a sheath. It has a 12" blade, which makes it easier to use on larger branches. It's more expensive and you don't usually see them in stores. I have some of the folding saws and I use them, but I like the Super saw better. My primary use is trimming branches around a blind or hunting stand.

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
The key to using the folding saw with sawsall blades is to use the right blade.
They make a "pruning" blade that is not readily available that works great for cutting wood while camping. They are 9" long and will not fold up completely in the handle like the 6" blades. While this may be a pain in the butt having this type of saw with a few different blades gives you versatilty that the regular camping folding saw does not have.

I use the 9" pruning blade to cut wood when the chainsaw is an overkill. I now usually use the blade in a cordless sawsall to cut up kindling wood or if I have a few branches to trim.

I realize that carying extra blades may not be an option for some. But having the capability to cut metal in a pinch can be valuble. The saw handle that accepts sawsall blades will carry 4-5 6'' blades in the handle storage compartment. Then I bring along a couple pruning blades for heavy wood cutting.

Using a wood cutting construction blade has never worked well in the woods as it gums up too quick even when using an electric sawsall to power it.

·
BASS
2,303 Posts
I agree with Jeffrey. The Sven Saw will out perform those folding smaller saws. I used to winter camp and we would cut plenty of wood in a short time.

We didn't fall any standing timber but cut good fallen wood for our fire. While it sin't exactly Leave No Trace we didn't cut down trees. In may states and national forest it is illegal to cut down trees. A small three cornered file will touch up a blade if you are thinking long term bug out. In that case I would carry an extra blade. I have an extra set of machine bolt/wing nut set taped to the saw. If you happen to lose or damage the set you have a spare.

A piece of PVS with a cap can be used to cover the end of the saw so it doesn't wear a hole in your pack. Mine was carried in a verticle position. You may pack yours differently.

·
www.sharpenedaxe.com
204 Posts
I actually just did a comparison between the Sierra Saw (made by Coghlan's) and the Silky F180. The Silky basically performs 1/3 better than the Coghlan's. I paid $7.00 for the Coghlan's and $25.00 for the silky. You can check out the review here.

·
Registered
922 Posts
so did he use a reasonably new saw against the kids beat up used one? any way id rather have 3 saws and change than one.... just me though

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I've had a couple of those for several years. They work fine, and hold up well when used for sawing wood and cutting up game animals.
I also have a Sven saw, that stays in my truck. Great saw.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just received the saw and noticed something that I have not noticed with my original saw that I got at Wall Mart a few years ago. The one I just received is made in Korea. Who said they make them all in China now?

The only problem with my purchase is that the picture shows this light orange color but I got the black one. No big deal.

Oh, and by the way, Wall Mart doesn't sell them anymore for whatever reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the recommend! What a great price. I have on the lookout for one and have not been able to find it for under $25.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts