Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The way the pioneers and cowboys did. Just find a perculator like the Coleman or a old stove top model make a fire and put on a grate till it boils a while. Will not automatically cut off and you need to measure coffee and water. Sorry no auto timers and alarm start.
Now I have seen some tea bag type instant coffe things that one boils water on the camping stove and puts in a cup. Then there is the old Nescafe instant coffee.
One can also boil water and wrap some coffee beans one has ground on a rock in your hankerchief and steep for 5 minutes. That is manly coffee.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a couple of Mirro stove top percolators. Handy for camping, and handy when the power goes out. We have a propane burner on our grill so I can make coffee there. My hubby say's I am scarey without my morning wake up juice.:eek:

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
I like to do the same as riverrat. An added bonus to the single serving folgers is that they don't spoil, and are very easy.

Reactions: Gnut, joes and oakr

·
Antique Nurse
644 Posts
I bought a percolator in a camping section somewhere. But at home I use a coffee press. All I need is boiling water. I was the only place around with fresh coffee when we had an ice storm last year.

Reactions: joes and oakr

·
It's a Jeep Thing
211 Posts
My name is 91G-Dub and I am a coffee Junkie.
First let me say that I am not a coffee snob by any means, Folgers/Maxwell House/whatever is on sale that the Darling Bride buys is what I get. I don't do Starbucks ever!
While car camping I use an old fashioned steel percolator that I've had for many moons. Makes [email protected] fine coffee. I have found that using paper filters (the ones that look like a little paper circle with a hole in the center) makes a big difference by not letting coffee ground settle into the coffee. Easy to use, fill with water & put in coffee. Put it on the Coleman stove or a grate over the fire, let it come to a boil then turn stove down so that it just perks lightly for a few minutes or move it to a cooler area on the grate for same effect. Let the coffee steep for a couple of minutes, pour into a cup and enjoy.
I keep a handfull of the Maxwell House coffee "bags" in my GHB for emergency use only. They are easy to use and produce some sort of hot brown liquid that has caffeine in it. It is not coffee, nothing like coffee but it's better than nothing.
Instant coffee is an option but not for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to agree i also have the old fashioned steel campfire perculator and my wife loves the camping coffee better than at home it really does make better coffee but you need to be careful and remember to watch it when it starts to perculate and turn it down. I didnt one time and had alot of grounds in it but still good coffee first thing in the morning

·
Registered
10 Posts
Coffee maker

Jet boil has a Java Kit that has a mug and coffee press that heats right on top of the Jetboil personal cooking system( very lightweight stove that attached right to Isobutane/propane fuel cannister. This unit won Editors choice award from backpacker and best gear of the year award from Outside magazine. Be sure to ask for the Java kit version as it costs the same as the standard Jetboil unit but includes the coffee press. The whole thing only weighs 15 ounces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Instant coffee for me when I'm out, have just bought some all in one sachets, Coffee, Milk + sugar, they are made by Kenco, will try them out next week when I go off into the Cairngorms.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I put a tied coffee filter,a large one, filled with folgers in a solar shower bag and it gives me a hot cup of joe about 80 percent of my camp trips.And I dont have to use fuel to heat it.Just something that works for me.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts