Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having a recce through various survival sites and came across Cody Lundin.
I think the Guy is excellent and is at one with the place. What do you guys think?
There are more of him in the dessert and also Nova Scotia, in 4/5 ten minute sections.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Not a fan of his French. How'd he get so big eating the occasional rat? I thought that was one of the side effects of the culture we're in now. Regardless, good info and I think he's got a good idea for what the future holds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Been following this guy for awhile and his advice is solid! Read his book and at first I was kinda disappointed until I opened my eyes a bit further.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The guy is eccentric, but he has written two very good books ( my opinion ). They are, " 98.6 Degrees " and "When All Hell Breaks Loose ".

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
He wrote 98.6? Not the voice I imagined when I read it. I enjoyed it, but I think I enjoyed his rat water video more. btw, ever notice that in survival videos no one ever shows the "wash hands after gutting rats/squirrels or otherwise exposing yourself to bacteriological breeding grounds" step? I'm not the cleanest guy on the block, but at least rub some dirt on your hands.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
If you haven't, yet, check out the YouTube videos of his survival school treks where he takes some people out in the wild and gives them only a trashbag and one match to go a week.

He teaches true minimalist survival. I would really like to go to his survival school, but it's about 3000 miles from me.

His personal life is very anti-establishment. He doesn't own a TV, doesn't use any public works in the geo-house he built (or had built) in Arizona. And he seems to be a really nice guy, too. He also has a public MySpace page.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I read 98.6 degrees about 5 years ago. It changed the way I think about surviving short term emergencies in the wilderness. I pretty much use 98.6 as the foundation for the survival classes that I teach at work. Lundin gets straight to the point and dispels many commonly help assumptions about wilderness survival. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The guy is eccentric, but he has written two very good books ( my opinion ). They are, " 98.6 Degrees "...
98.6 Degrees presents an iconoclastic, intelligent, well considered approach that will beef up anyone's survival IQ...

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
When I'm living in the woods and eating rat, I probably won't care what anyone thinks of my language. In fact, he pretty much talks the same way I do ... but I'm in NY, LOL.

·
V
21,713 Posts
I've watched a couple of interviews with Cody in he seems on the level but like has already been mentioned he's kinda a big guy for someone who lives the way of life he advertises.

Whats the deal with not wearing shoes? Thats a good way to get worms or loose a toe.
Bushmen and women all over the world, have been bare foot for alot longer than we've been wearing shoes, in my younger days I'd go the whole summer only wearing shoes at work or occasionally in the pub of an evening. So I guess personal choice :thumb:

·
531 Posts
This is the first I've heard of him. From the stuff I've watched so far, he seems like he's a very genuine person and very down to earth. Thanks for posting this.

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
At first I thought that was just one of the Baldwin brothers - Stephen maybe? - in a wig.

I like to go barefoot (I don't wear socks or shoes unless I have to, and even then I try to wear flip flops if at all possible) - but I don't think I'd be able to handle having feet as cracked as his. That's just nasty, and begging for infection.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get the feeling he is a realy genuine bloke, where I come from nearly the whole population goes from the cradle to the grave without shoes, very healthy way to be, no fungal infections etc.
His language is hardly bad the odd $h!t but hell we all talk like this(dont we?).
He would walk the a$$ of grylls and leave him standing, anyway I prefer to see Lundin with no shoes than Grylls with no shirt.

·
V
21,713 Posts
I get the feeling he is a realy genuine bloke, where I come from nearly the whole population goes from the cradle to the grave without shoes, very healthy way to be, no fungal infections etc.
Only down side I ever experienced from going barefoot so long was fallen arches :(

He would walk the a$$ of grylls and leave him standing, anyway I prefer to see Lundin with no shoes than Grylls with no shirt.
Hell I'd rather look at the cracks in his feet than Bear's face :thumb:

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not a fan of his French. How'd he get so big eating the occasional rat? I thought that was one of the side effects of the culture we're in now. Regardless, good info and I think he's got a good idea for what the future holds.
I think he has a life outside of survival and is partial to a good feed, just like Sir Raymondo, who looks more like a chef than a syrvival guru.:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts