Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Criminitly!
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I paid $75 dollars for a vintage manual tire changer. Everything is there and in working order except for the combo tool. It was included but the roller is off one end and the bar is slightly bend. I didn't have alot of time to mull this over so it was a whim purchase. So here are my questions. Was it a dumb purchase? Did I pay too much for it? I know I can't use it on mag wheels, but for trailers, golf carts and steel wheels it should help. Does anyone make vintage replacement tire combo tools? Is it possible to mount to a mobile base? Looking for ideas. Does any one have bits of knowledge to pass on to me using it?

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Never had that happen or heard of it. I have been working in the automotive and heavy equipment industry for nearly 2 decades.
I spent ten years running autocenters, tires, front end, brakes, suspension, etc. We always used tire lube, not soap. Tire lube is designed to not have lube qualities after it dries. Soap does because of the residue it leaves behind.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ok, so I paid $75 dollars for a vintage manual tire changer. Everything is there and in working order except for the combo tool. It was included but the roller is off one end and the bar is slightly bend. I didn't have alot of time to mull this over so it was a whim purchase. So here are my questions. Was it a dumb purchase? Did I pay too much for it? I know I can't use it on mag wheels, but for trailers, golf carts and steel wheels it should help. Does anyone make vintage replacement tire combo tools? Is it possible to mount to a mobile base? Looking for ideas. Does any one have bits of knowledge to pass on to me using it?
Looks like they’re available but you’d need to make sure you get the right one. Type “Coats combo tool” into google and you’ll get some hits. Here’s one:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a coats manual machine that I also paid $75 for around 5 years ago, you made a good purchase. It paid for itself within 6 months, and it is much easier than trying to mount and dismount tires with tire spoons. The bead breaker alone on it is worth having the machine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The torque needed for most tires requires a permanent mounting. We busted tires for all the golf carts and trucks at the botanical gardens where I volunteered and some tires took both of us to remove or mount. We used soap to lube.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The torque needed for most tires requires a permanent mounting. We busted tires for all the golf carts and trucks at the botanical gardens where I volunteered and some tires took both of us to remove or mount. We used soap to lube.
If a permanent mounting isn't possible, you can bolt one of these to a pair of crossties and it does OK. Not as good as bolting to a concrete slab,, but good enough to work.
It is definitely not recommended, but I have used 30wt motor oil many times to lube beads on agricultural tires, mainly OLD tires.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Parts are available for those used of course. The hardest part is taking the time to mount it to a garage floor securely. I've seen them mounted outside too, on a concrete pad.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Buy some tire lube to use around the bead. Do not use soapy water, it can cause the tire to slip around the rim under acceleration and braking.
have you ever read what ingredients are in tire lube?most are made with soap!you really should not spred miss information.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
have you ever read what ingredients are in tire lube?most are made with soap!you really should not spred miss information.
Tire lubes are formulated to protect the tire rubber during the mounting process. It's formulated not to foam up or provide excessive lubrication. It's quality is consistent compared to tire monkeys squirting some Dawn randomly into a container of water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts