Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Time to reap has come
3,885 Posts
I think the X class, not the M class, are supposed to be the most dangerous.
Yes true, but even X class wont do severe damage. But can take down grids as has in past. They added a Y class not to long ago. Makes you wonder why? This is even stronger than X. I think they suspect this new Y class is probable.

I should add x can do severe damage depending on where it hits, specifically if grid goes down and no electricity. I ment by wont do severe damage as in wont fry us etc. Unless multiply x's occurred or the strength, then could be severe. And if one believes the quake/magnetic field theory than even worse problems. We could see increase in quakes or even a large one.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Last time there was a significant flareup a few months past, my pc crashed hard all by itself overnight. The most recent one did nothing however. It'd be cool to be able to actually have instruments at home to warn you and protect your stuff against. My ups is not that smart yet.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
There was an M-6 at 6am this morning, following tightly behind the M-1 due on Aug 5 around 11pm at night give or take 7hrs so there is a good chance that it will hit China the hardest...

Now that said, the grid failure in Quebec was an series of X-Class ejections:
The second Carrington Event occurred March 15th 1989 with Quebec, Canada as its epicenter. A wave of ten X-class solar flares set off in rapid succession which was Earth directed knocking out Quebec's largest power grid. 6,000,000.00 people went without power during one of Montreal's worse ice storms. A great number of the population went without power for up to three weeks. The community survived by relying on their neighbors. Homes with a fireplace were the only source of warmth for thousands.

The third Carrington Event was actually a 'near-miss' occurrence. It occurred on November 4th 2003 and is also known as The Halloween Event. The sunspot group had just rotated around the Sun's western limb before exploding. If it had been Earth directed, no one is quite sure what the devastating results would be. This was the largest solar flare ever recorded measuring an X-45. It literally sent NOAA's and the USAF measuring instruments off-the-scale. They had to recalibrate their instruments which will now read solar events beyond X-50.
(excerpt from here http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1017561/pg1

I'm thinking M-Class can't wreak much havoc on us here on earth but might create some cool auroras and maybe disrupt satellite comms.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Update at www.spaceweather.com

They've estimated that an M1, M6 and M9.3 released in the last several days will overtake each other. It should create a large geomagnetic storm, provided they actually continue towards Earth. I wouldn't anticipate a grid-down situation from this, an order of magnitude too small.

·
Time to reap has come
3,885 Posts
Update at www.spaceweather.com

They've estimated that an M1, M6 and M9.3 released in the last several days will overtake each other. It should create a large geomagnetic storm, provided they actually continue towards Earth. I wouldn't anticipate a grid-down situation from this, an order of magnitude too small.
Thanks for sharing. On the other side...I suspect we well see an uptake in quake clusters or even a larger one somewhere these next couple of days.

·
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
3,016 Posts
The Space Weather site also said there was a super storm in May of 1921. I can't find the page now but I will post the link as soon as I find it. I'm still bugging my senators, Lugar and Coates to push for minimal protection for our national grid. It's like farting in the wind though, what with the belt tightening about to happen. So, when our grid goes down we can all rig up a butt kickin boot and stand there kickin ourselves til the cows come home. Yeah, we'll all be farming. No more shopping.:xeye:
Here's a link to some newspaper reports on solar storms.
http://www.solarstorms.org/SRefStorms.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts