Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nemo May Impune Laccesit
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put up 16 qts of sliced russet potatoes with a Sea salt & pepper seasoning. I noticed after a few weeks the formation of what looks like "wispy cotton" in the water surrounding the potatoes. I followed the pressure and cooking time from the Ball manual. I opened one jar to check the quality and the contents smelled like potatoes. I heated up a slice and it tasted very good. Is this "cotton" some kind of starch from the potato? Anything to worry about? Here's a picture for your judgement.

·
I have control issues
5,921 Posts
YOur link doesn't work, so I'm taking a guess here. Could be a couple of things. If your salt has any additives to help keep it "free flowing", it can cause cloudiness (that's why we use canning salt--no additives). Also, the starch from the potatoes CAN do that. One way to avoid that is to soak the potatoes in cold water for about an hour, then discard the water and rinse the potatoes prior to blanching/canning them.

Without being able to see the pics, though, it's hard to say for sure.

·
I have control issues
5,921 Posts
Thanks for re-doing the link, slow.

Yeah, jeff....it looks like potato starch. Next time, when you cut your potatoes, cut them into a bowl of cold water, let sit about an hour, then drain and rinse prior to canning. Also, make sure the salt doesn't have any additives.

·
Profiling... it works.
187 Posts
skin?

***newbie question***
Seems like most canning I've have seen has been without the skin,

Should the skin be removed or is it safe to be left on?

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
You can always get an answer here from a fellow board member.....A person never stops learning...Thank you all....

·
I have control issues
5,921 Posts
***newbie question***
Seems like most canning I've have seen has been without the skin,

Should the skin be removed or is it safe to be left on?
It all depends. The majority of the vitamins in a potato are found just under the skin. of course, the dirt/harmful microorganisms are found on the skin. If you are going to keep the skins on, you need to be sure and scrub them REALLY well, to remove dirt/microorganisms that you do NOT want in your canned goods.

A lot of canned potatoes are used as ingredients for other dishes, where you do not want the skin, so when deciding whether or not to peel them, you need to consider what you will be using them for (as a "stand alone" dish, or as an ingredient to be mixed with other things?)

·
Nemo May Impune Laccesit
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone and for slow's repost of my pix link. I'll still alive the day after eating some so I suppose they're ok.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I totally agree with IceFire. If you really want to keep the cloudiness from happening, you can blanch them and discard the water, but I like to keep all of the starch in there regardless of cloudiness. That cottony stuff will probably fill up the jar to make the whole thing cloudy in a few more weeks. We like to dump the thick cloudy water and all into a skillet and brown it all together, it comes out really good like that.

Those look so good with the skins still on! We have always done ours without skin, but your potatoes look so good that I'll leave them on next time. The last time I tried skin on potatoes, they turned dark. What kind of potatoes are they?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts