Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Be Prepared
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of planning for my small family and was curious how others planned the clothing for yourselves and small children? What do you have prepared and how did you go about it? Especially babies and toddlers....

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I'm a pack rat. I still have clothes from when I was in high school (24+ yrs ago). I have those big plastic bins with all my clothes sorted: winter, summer, condition & size.
My weight fluctuates depending on how my life is going. So I have clothes whether I'm at my current weight or up to 20 lbs heavier.
I never throw clothes away. I hate spending money on them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The younger the child, the more likely I am to buy from yard sales. They outgrow their clothes before they out-wear them. I always have some clothes a couple of sizes larger than what my kids wear and we save our oldest's stuff for our youngest.

This time of the year is great for clearance sales. One time I found tons of stuff on sale at Kmart for $.80 each, so I stocked up on items a size or two larger than what they currently wore, to save for the next summer. If you can guesstimate your kids' sizes for next year, it's much cheaper to buy winter coats and bathing suits at the end of the season. After Christmas is a great time to find mark downs on warm winter clothing.

I like to get T-shirts and shorts or pants with drawstrings, rather than fitted pants like jeans. That way they can be adjusted a bit for the child's size. Since I have girls, sometimes I'll get T-shirts several sizes too big, for them to wear as nightshirts, then as they grow, the shirts become "day shirts." They don't get very dirty or worn as nightclothes, so we get extra mileage that way. Also, if you sew, it's easy to hem things then let out the hem as they grow.

We homeschool and I always keep the laundry caught up (part of being prepped), so the kids don't need dozens of outfits. Our one major clothing expense is shoes. In the summer the kids run barefoot or wear sandals mostly but they have to have good shoes and/or boots for the winter.

One last thing. We never turn away hand-me-downs.:)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I'm in the middle of planning for my small family and was curious how others planned the clothing for yourselves and small children? What do you have prepared and how did you go about it? Especially babies and toddlers....

WE have bags for each family member with sets of clothing and shoes for walking. Rain ponchos, underwear, socks, T SHirts. Extra eye glasses, along iwth their kits.

Grandkids are a different subject. Diapers will have to be cloth like the old days. Wash them out after each change.

For small kids also consider their growth. Have clothes they can grow into if it indeed goes to you know where.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well I think the best place for kids clothes are thrift shops, yard sales, Craigslist, even Ebay (buy in lots)

For FREE, sign up for your local Freecycle group. They always have kids stuff. In fact some get angry because Freecycle stuff winds up beong sold on CL!

For those that can stomach it, you may want to consider dumpster diving outside or around thrift shops or apartment complexes. I can't bring myself to do it, (no cajones) but people do very well that way too.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
I buy 4-5 sizes larger from Goodwill for my children (heavy duty clothing, not clothing meant for one season then it's gone). A pair of jeans around $2.00 and shirt for $1.50, you can get alot for a little bit of money. We store this by size and season in the top of my childrens closets.

Shoes are the same way, if they look to be in new/used condition they come home. We have a box that the shoes go into, they will always grow into them. They use flip flops in the summer that we buy after the summer before when they go on sale for $1.00 (baught 16 different colored/type last year for kids from wal mart for $6.00-kids only used 1 size this summer so 14 pairs to go).

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
This is a good subject, we don't seem to discuss much.

Clothing, for the growing yougsters could be a problem, but I think goog foot wear, needed, for all ages, could really be a bigger problem.

As for hand me downs, I have a 14 year old grandson, who wears a size 13 (still growing) shoe.

I am wearing a very little used pair of his New Balance, trail shoes (size 11) that he out grew in short order. His dad and his uncle (my other son) also wear size 11.

We can't count on passing down our older stuff to him and That may be a lot of folks situation.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Hand me downs are where it's at :thumb: If you know people- start collecting. I buy and acquire clothes up to 5 sizes ahead for the kids. And what the oldest wears, the younger will wear later. And when they're done with them- I pass them along to friends who have kids that size and they return the favor. Also- I have and continue to pick up sewing skills- including learning how to mend, sew from patterns and fudge it and make my own without a pattern (not nearly as pretty- but they get the job done.) I keep fabric of all sorts around as well as extra buttons, zippers, patches etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have nearly finished putting together a small bag of clothes/underwear/footware for future use. At least it's one thing nearly ticked off on the to do list. I hope i don't have to wear them for quite a while yet. It's nice having that piece of mind feeling, knowing i wont have to worry about purchasing alot of clothes in troubled times.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
I too buy 5 sizes ahead and shoes I buy like mad when walmart has their clearance sales...slippers, sandles etc for $1 to $2. I also watch for the payless sales buy one get one free and go and buy sales items like boots and such 2 prs for $5.

I also recommend buying non gender colors like navy, red, green, grey, black and white. That way anyone can wear them. Save everything if you have room and do one of three things 1 - keep for trade 2 - have a huge garage sale once a year and use cash to buy supplies or 3 - get all the other parents together you know and have a clothing swap.

The items I would recommend focusing on are:
-socks
-jeans
-tshirts and long sleeved tshirts
-sweatshirts
-sweaters
-shorts
-long underwear (can also be worn as pjs)
-outerwear (coats, rain gear)
-hats, mitts, gloves and scarves
-footwear (dont forget rubber boots which with two or three prs of socks can be good winter foot wear)
-undershirts and underwear
-baseball hats
-bathing suits (right now my walmart has them on say for $1 I bought 20 - they can always be used as gifts)
-one piece snow suits for very small children
-snow pants (these paired with a good sweater would be nice if you have no heat in your house as you can sit walk freely)

Forget things like shirts with buttons (I dont feel like finding needle and thread to sew buttons on when the world is going to crap), tights, frilly dresses, pjs (so much else can double for these), dress shoes etc.

And for diapers don't forget the diaper covers, baby safe safety pins etc.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
And oh..dont forget to throw some cedar in the storage bins...I also pull everything out once a year, spread it out on the den floor and leave it to air out for a few days, When I repack it I pull anything that doesn't fit anymore.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
There are a lot of yard sales here. What doesn't get sold at yard sales goes to Goodwill.

The spirit of yard sales would probably be passed down, even in a SHTF scenario.

I imagine that prices would be higher as there wouldn't be a supply of new clothes and some people would realize the value of used clothing, but it would still function somewhat.

My daughter is grown. She is only 14 but she is 5'6" tall and been the same height for almost a year so I think she is probably done growing.

My son is 12 and not yet in puberty. He is 5'1" and will be taller than me in 2 years most likely.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I realistically probably have enough clothing for the rest of my life, seriously (and I plan on being around awhile yet). I am completely set for all four seasons and variations between. I have full sets of clothing, outerclothing and footwear in my vehicles, the cabins, parents, etc., and I keep things rotated per the seasons.

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
My plan seems to be a combination of most posts here.

I buy cheap clothes for both my kids when I find them and store them until they fit. Be it a yard sale or clearance at target or walmart. I have lots of fabric on hand if I need to sew something. I also try to do kids clothes swaps with friends who also have kids. It works great if you can find them right people. I have a friend who is pregnant with a girl but has a son 2 years older then mine. I have arranged with her to swap all the clothes my daughter grows out of for all the clothes that her son grows out of. Works great! Now I need to find someone with an older daughter and a younger son!

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Ok.
Spend less on guns and MRE's and buy your kids some new clothes!
Sorry, it had to be said.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Ok.
Spend less on guns and MRE's and buy your kids some new clothes!
Sorry, it had to be said.
With kids clothes that they grow out of in a month, I don't see the point purchasing new. We have numerous second hand kids stores and yard sales. New is for underwear, socks and shoes. Buying brand new clothes at these sizes/ages is just throwing money down the crapper.

Sorry. It had to be said.

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
I buy new for my kiddo, but I buy sale items from places like the dollar store. I'm kinda a freak about my kid though, (at least I admit it right?) so if second-hand works for you then go for it. I still am able to find clothes between $1 and $5 as long as I take the time to find the best sales. If I spend more than that it has to be a) super cute b) super durable and c) bought with "extra" money that hasn't been allocated for other necessities. (ie. Found a 3 piece set at Sam's club that came with heavy jeans, a thick long sleeve shirt, and a jean jacket that was lined with a sweatshirt hoodie for $9.99. I had already gotten all the groceries and according to my running total I was 20 bucks under my usual spending, so I picked it up.)

I'm impressed with those that are buying 5 sizes ahead. Currently, I only have the next three sizes for my 9 month old. After reading this I think I'll up that. I also think I'll be buying some more shoes here in the future.

------------------------
As for myself, I look for sale items as well. I don't like spending more than $20 on any one clothing item, and if I'm spending that much it better be for work... or for a pair of quality jeans.

I keep way too many clothes. I have two large walk-in closets filled up. I don't think I'll be hurting for anything.

--------------------------
I find for both kids and adults that it's best to catch the end of season sales. Buy your heavy coats in March, and buy your bathing suits in September. The deals are much better that way.

I also have a bunch of fabric on hand, as well as simple patterns for kids and adults. (Still working on setting up the craft table properly, so I can try them out.) I think I also mentioned in another thread that I think a pillowcase augmented with a few choice holes would make a toddler dress in a pinch.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
while at a garage sale this past summer I stumbled across 3 rolls of fabric.....
1 was corderoy (green)
1 was a cotton blend with tacky childrens print
1 was a plain cotton

there has to be at least 40 feet of material on each roll and all for the low low price of...........free :D

I did have to pay for 6 spools of thread tho.......$1.50

we also have many handmedowns from our older kids as well as my sisters older childrens clothes

we too are somewhat pack rats but my theory is....better to have it and not need it....than to need it and not have it.....

garage sales are good, especially if you have room to store some stuff without getting out of hand

·
Registered
327 Posts
With kids clothes that they grow out of in a month, I don't see the point purchasing new. We have numerous second hand kids stores and yard sales. New is for underwear, socks and shoes. Buying brand new clothes at these sizes/ages is just throwing money down the crapper.
Ditto here. Although, if you have lots of kids and plan to save all the hand-me-downs, I can see where buying new might be better. Used ones might get worn out by the time the last kid finally gets them. Depends on the brand and how well it's made.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts