Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generally, if I am hiking I wear Earth tone colors, which I normally wear anyway. Hunting is blaze in safety situations or a mix if camo and Earth tones in others. I have heard both that insects are attracted to dark colors and also that they are attracted to bright colors. I wore a bright blue shirt today at a park and had plenty of mosquitos and deer flies circling and attacking. Not sure if normal Earth tones would have helped though as they come after me then too. Older school woods wear was red flannel/wood and such work well to keep some one from taking a shot at you thinking you are a deer, but turkeys have red heads...So, also, in bear country wouldyou wear camo to hide from them or bright colors to let them know you are there and to steer clear? Thoughts? Thanks! :thumb:

·
In the woods
Multiple disciplines
584 Posts
I wear earth tones and generally dark colors in the woods. The main reason I do, is that they look cleaner longer. Cleanliness is a real morale booster, like having a shave or a shower. I have gone into the woods for weeks on end, and having clean looking clothes is a real plus. As far as bears go, they can smell you long before they can see you. They are the alpha dogs in North America.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Earth tones and the lighter the better to keep bug attraction down, yet still maintaining some degree of cammo or blend

·
Primeval Tendencies
83 Posts
Most of my clothes are darker earthy colors: browns, tans; with some camo mixed in. No specific reason for the look other than that's just what I happen to have. It's been my experience that mosquitoes try to carry me away no matter what color clothing I have. In the summer time if they're really bad I throw on long pants and a heavy carhart type work shirt over my normal t-shirt to keep them from bleeding me dry quite as readily.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
There is no color to keep biting insects at bay. The zoom in on odor, moisture from sweat and CO2 from your exhaled breath. They have no problem zooming in on a deer and there are no bright colors there.

Bright colors, flowery patterns (and "whiteners" and "color brighteners" in laundry detergent) tend to attract bees. A floral print shirt is not a good bet in Africanized bee territory.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Multicam it works.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
When I'm out in the woods I always have my dog close by . The biting insects , especially horse flys , are more attracted to her then me . Good dog :thumb:

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
Generally, if I am hiking I wear Earth tone colors, which I normally wear anyway. Hunting is blaze in safety situations or a mix if camo and Earth tones in others. I have heard both that insects are attracted to dark colors and also that they are attracted to bright colors. I wore a bright blue shirt today at a park and had plenty of mosquitos and deer flies circling and attacking. Not sure if normal Earth tones would have helped though as they come after me then too. Older school woods wear was red flannel/wood and such work well to keep some one from taking a shot at you thinking you are a deer, but turkeys have red heads...So, also, in bear country wouldyou wear camo to hide from them or bright colors to let them know you are there and to steer clear? Thoughts? Thanks! :thumb:
green would blend in nice. lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
As much orange as possible. With my low experience i might be searched for someday, so the brightest orange possible (and there's also not many people to comment on my color choice in the woods, so i can go wild with it =P). Occasionally red if a product i'm interested in for this reason doesn't come in orange or the orange version is ugly. But red becomes black at night, yellow is like dead leaves - but you have to be blind to miss someone dressed in bright orange :D:

But it is true - i went to Germany once and we were hanging around a lake and i had a big orange towel with me... so there was a kind of bug that probably lived in that pond - anyways, there were swarms of them chasing after me (after my towel actually). Pretty annoying thing to happen...

And it is also true that i never hunt animals while i'm in the woods :upsidedown:

·
I drive a compact car
590 Posts
I wear bright pink at all times in the woods. It serves two purposes:

1. It lets all bears in the surrounding 3 counties know where I am and that I'm no threat.

2. It matches my designer hiking booties.

·
Registered
965 Posts
yea i think if u stay with earth tones they always kinda work, i use really light colors like tans and sand color for here in the desert but i think dark earth or any kind of brown, od earth colors would work in forest

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,954 Posts
Right now today, S has not HTF. Today when you go hunting, during hunting season you really should be wearing orange. People get shot every year by accident when they do not wear orange.

After SHTF it may be different. But today wear the orange.

CAMO: is designed to be effective for human eyes. They have no effect with game animals. Camo is only really good for when you are hunting humans.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have hear that lighter colors attract ticks.
I don't know about lighter colors, but I know that ticks seem to latch on better when you wear jeans, I guess it's easier to grab. Even though I have alot of leg hair, I find them less often when I wear shorts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts