Survivalist Forum banner

Closer to 70 than 65

19405 481
Equipment:
Concept 2 Model E Indoor Rower (set @ max resistance setting of 10)
Balaz Speed Bag Platform and Lazer Speed Bag
One-inch 15 lb. standard bar with 300+ lbs. of weight plates (1.25 - 25 lbs.)
SPRI Adjustable Hand Grippers (set @ max resistance)
--------------------------------------------------
Edit: As of Jan 22 the above one-inch standard bar and plates have been replaced with an Olympic bar and 370 lbs. of plates (0.25 - 45 lbs.)
--------------------------------------------------
Edit: As of Jan 26 a bench and squat stands w/ spotter arms have been added to equipment list.

1 Jan
Row: 5 minutes/1182 meters
Walk w/hand grippers: 5 minutes
Deadlift:
272.5 lbs. 3 reps
275 3 reps
277.5 3 reps
280 3 reps

3 Jan
Row: 5 minutes/1167 meters
Speed Bag: 5 minutes

4 Jan
Row: 5 minutes/1161 meters
Walk w/grippers: 5 minutes
Deadlift:
282.5 lbs. 2 reps
285 2 reps
287.5 1 rep

5 Jan
Row: 5 minutes/1154 meters
Deadlift:
290 lbs. 1 rep
292.5 2 reps
295 1 rep

7 Jan
Row: 5 minutes/1155 meters
Walk w/grippers; 5 minutes
Deadlift:
297.5 lbs. 2 reps
300 1 rep
300 1 rep

9 Jan
Row: 5 minutes/1061 meters
Deadlift:
300 lbs. 2 reps
300 2 reps
302.5 2 reps

11 Jan
Row: 5 minutes/1162 meters
Deadlift:
302.5 lbs. 1 rep
305 1 rep
307.5 2 reps

13 Jan
Row: 5 minutes/1112 meters
Deadlift:
307.5 lbs. 2 reps
310 1 rep
312.5 1 rep

15 Jan
Row: 5 minutes/1144 meters
Deadlift:
312.5 lbs. 2 reps
312.5 1 rep
315 1 rep

17 Jan
Row: 5 minutes/1025 meters
1 - 20 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deadlifts look good, you do a lot of them, well done. (y)
Thank you. Because I workout alone and don’t have a rack or stand with spotter arms/safeties for the squat and benchpress, I can only do the deadlift safely at near max weight. Once the 2-inch plates I’ve ordered arrive (this week hopefully), I will switch from the over-loaded 1-inch bar (which is bending) to a new 2-inch Olympic bar that arrived several days ago. Before the month is out I hope to order a bench and a squat-stand setup with spotter arms to incorporate both the benchpress and squat into my routine.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like your getting outfitted quite well, you'll have quite the gym when done. That will go a long ways towards keeping you young! At least that's what I'm hoping!
Thanks again. I do hope to stay as young as possible! Reading about your routine and those of several other folks is a bit intimidating but at the same time very motivating!

·
Registered
386 Posts
The key to any successful fitness program is to train to one's weaknesses, not the strengths. This is difficult because it requires being truthful and objective with oneself which is somewhat unnatural. I recommend assessing one's overall weaknesses and train to them whatever they may be. Is that how you built your workout plan/schedule?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Jan 20
Row: 5 minutes/1156 meters
Deadlift:
320.0 lbs. - 1 rep
320.0 - 2 reps
322.5 - failure w/double overhand grip
322.5 - 1 rep w/mixed grip

Feeling weak probably due to dehydration.
It's amazing how much dehydration effects us as we age. I see it a lot, I try to pay attention, but it's not always easy.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The key to any successful fitness program is to train to one's weaknesses, not the strengths. This is difficult because it requires being truthful and objective with oneself which is somewhat unnatural. I recommend assessing one's overall weaknesses and train to them whatever they may be. Is that how you built your workout plan/schedule?
Yes, the Rower and Deadlift address my overall bodily weaknesses, and the grippers forestall my onset of Dupuytren’s contracture. While the speed bag is definitely a good workout for the upper body, my primary intent is to offset my diminished grappling skills for self-defensive purposes.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jan 22
Today was to be a deadlift day but this old carcass needs a break, so I will just limit myself to the rower (maybe I won’t even do that). Anyway, I have set aside the one-inch standard bar and plates and put them for sale on the local Craigslist. In its place sits a new 2-inch Olympic bar with 270 lbs. of 45-lb. plates. Today an additional 95 lbs. of plates (2.5 - 25 lbs.) arrive. Tomorrow a set of collars and fractional plates are due to arrive, so hopefully I will be back on track by Monday.

I made an effort to buy “Made in the USA” even though it’s generally more costly. My bar and 2.5 - 45 lb. plates are from The Strength Co., the collars are from Rogue Fitness, and the fractional plates are through eBay. A bench and squat stands were also ordered from The Strength Co.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Nice! You'll have quite the gym in no time!

Using good equipment makes things so much more efficient/easier.

I've never seen anything like those "Micro Gainz" plates, I like the idea.

I've always had good luck with Rogue equipment, good stuff. Those collars are nice!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice! You'll have quite the gym in no time!

Using good equipment makes things so much more efficient/easier.

I've never seen anything like those "Micro Gainz" plates, I like the idea.

I've always had good luck with Rogue equipment, good stuff. Those collars are nice!
Thank you. I would have purchased more from Rogue, but so much of their equipment is out of stock. I considered getting their SML-1 ROGUE 70" MONSTER LITE SQUAT STAND, but It's advertised as made with US and Canadian steel. It's my suspicion that the Canadian steel is actually Chinese.

With the 1" bar I had to take 2.5 lb. increases which is a lot! I will adjust to the 0.5 lb. increases much easier.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Woo hoo! All my ordered weight plates, including the fractionals, and collars arrived today! I certainly was tempted to do a workout, but decided to get my rest. Also, I have already sold the priced-to-sell 1" bar and plates that I listed on Craigslist this morning! Furthermore, the bench and squat stands I ordered yesterday have shipped. Great day! 😄

1 - 20 of 482 Posts