Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...levels of hunger increasing around the world, and in 12 years, people in London, in Washington, D.C., Chicago and Paris won't have enough to eat

Climate change ... is wreaking havoc on crop production in much of the developing world

Extreme droughts and floods — are already undermining production of wheat, rice and maize in tropical and temperate regions, and that the trend is expected to worsen as temperatures increase and become more extreme.

"This message today should frighten the world," said David Beasley, head of the World Food Program.

Beasley, a Trump administration nominee, acknowledged that climate change as well as conflict were fuelling the rise in malnutrition globally.

Beasley relied on an annual report from major UN agencies that was released today.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
...levels of hunger increasing around the world, and in 12 years, people in London, in Washington, D.C., Chicago and Paris won't have enough to eat

Climate change ... is wreaking havoc on crop production in much of the developing world

Extreme droughts and floods — are already undermining production of wheat, rice and maize in tropical and temperate regions, and that the trend is expected to worsen as temperatures increase and become more extreme.

"This message today should frighten the world," said David Beasley, head of the World Food Program.

Beasley, a Trump administration nominee, acknowledged that climate change as well as conflict were fuelling the rise in malnutrition globally.

Beasley relied on an annual report from major UN agencies that was released today.
Okay, let me guess. They want us to grow more food and give it to 'em but use fossil fuels to ship it overseas.

·
Purrpared
644 Posts
What's interesting to me is that they are so focused on saying humans are causing climate change, as if we can all stop using aerosol deodorant and driving cars and this would reverse itself. Of course we need to take care of the environment, but the planet does what the planet does. It's like arguing over the importance of fire extinguishers and smoke alarms in a building that's on fire. Deal with the immediate danger, please. We can lay blame later. Maybe do a little prepping? Oh, wait. It's the government. Screwing up just creates more paperwork and thus higher salaries.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
...and yet, our Federal Govt continues to pay farmers to NOT farm...plant...harvest...

Dept of Ag and the FDA are both more interested in controlling PRICING / FUTURES then they are in even attempting to maximize production.

-von
Easy there hoss, farmers are just as concerned about pricing and futures. Probably more so.

Right now they want free trade so they CAN feed the world
If we bottle product up it creates a glut, drives down prices, and can make a great harvest a money loser.

It's a balancing act.

But don't worry, ain't no one in the US going without enough food, there's just far too much.
The UN is just angry it's becoming irrelevent. That is the extent of it.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,128 Posts
We grow immense amounts of corn and process it into ethanol to corrode and gum up our engines. If anyone gets hungry, we can stop doing that. :)

Also, all that left over cellulosic material that remains after the crop is harvested can be converted into chickens using an Idea I submitted for a patent a while back.

Breed millions of locusts to eat all the cellulosic material. they are very efficient at this. Then recall them back to a chopper fan blade with pheromones. collect the dead locusts onto a converyor belt and feed a few trillion chickens.

Call the Colonel to bring his pressure cooker army. :)

Did you know that the scary locust is a metamorph of the common happy go lucky grasshopper? When they start overcrowding each other, they transform into the red headed gregarious form known as the locust. This transformation is triggered by sensory impulses picked up on hairs on their hind legs when they bump into the other grasshoppers

·
Registered
6,967 Posts

Keep in mind if the heads of these UN agencies ever announced there was no global warming or that the earth would be better off a few degrees warmer and a little more CO2 their positions would no longer be needed and they would be unemployed.

·
Dog Lives Matter
7,130 Posts
Lemme guess, they want America to give them a bunch of money to fix the glo-bull climate change problem...
At one point the UN wanted to impose a tax on the USA to help feed starving people around the world. The tax amounted to 7% of our GDP. All it would do is make the problem worse.

Back in my college days many years ago I had a bleeding heart liberal sociology professor. Even he admitted that the problems in Africa are compounded by advances in medical treatment and food programs. In many cultures around the world parents traditionally produce 8 to 12 kids in the hope that 2 to 4 survive so they can take care of the parents in their old age. That worked while the majority of kids perished due to starvation or disease. These days, almost all the kids survive, but the parents are still trying to produce 8 to 12 kids . . . and when those kids reach maturity they try to produce the same. That's why the problems in many third world countries continue to get worse.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
At one point the UN wanted to impose a tax on the USA to help feed starving people around the world. The tax amounted to 7% of our GDP. All it would do is make the problem worse.

Back in my college days many years ago I had a bleeding heart liberal sociology professor. Even he admitted that the problems in Africa are compounded by advances in medical treatment and food programs. In many cultures around the world parents traditionally produce 8 to 12 kids in the hope that 2 to 4 survive so they can take care of the parents in their old age. That worked while the majority of kids perished due to starvation or disease. These days, almost all the kids survive, but the parents are still trying to produce 8 to 12 kids . . . and when those kids reach maturity they try to produce the same. That's why the problems in many third world countries continue to get worse.
Money fixes everything doncha know...even glo-bull climate change...LOL

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
If Chicago and DC run out of food, so will most other major US city. Maybe people can start up gardening again.

Food is not a right. If you can't grow it yourself you get what you can afford from someone who can. If there isn't enough learn to grow it or do with less/none. Sorry.

The US exports food AND throws away around 40% of what they don't. I think we'll be able to tighten the belt here a little and do fine. Leftovers will make a come back.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I propose one big outhouse to put all the UN into. Their word is the last I would trust. All it does is give them a job. I think they should get a job maybe counting the plastic straws they want to eliminate.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts