Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading a teaspoon of unscented regular bleach per gallon of water to kill off any germs in fresh food. Has anyone been doing this? Are there tricks to it?

I know fresh beats canned or frozen, while you can get it, but keeping the fresh safe is a concern.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Cooking kills most germs.
Bleach is overkill, although a weak solution wouldn't be harmful.

keeping the fresh safe is a concern.
It's no more a concern today than it was a few months ago, or even since the beginning of time.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,708 Posts
Vinegar makes a much safer fruit and vegetable wash.

Use a pump bottles and spritz it all down well.

Then a nice rise with clean water after the acid does its job for a minute or so.

·
Grevcon 10
13,394 Posts
I'm reading a teaspoon of unscented regular bleach per gallon of water to kill off any germs in fresh food. Has anyone been doing this? Are there tricks to it?

I know fresh beats canned or frozen, while you can get it, but keeping the fresh safe is a concern.

Thanks in advance
Bad idea. You can bleach the surface all you want. For fresh food whatever was on the outside is going to end up on the inside. If your food is contaminated with harmful germs you need to cook it to a safe temperature or you don't get fresh food.

·
statists' be statin'
3,371 Posts
I don't know anything about washing fruit. I know about washing hands. When washing hands in health care, studies have shown that it's the abrasive action of scrubbing that gets rid of the germs, not the anti-bacterial soap that's used.

If I was concerned about apples having germs, I would wash them under running water and be done with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts